Well the sliders work (aka parking lots suck)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJAMT

Reaction score
The temps were low 40s with rain/snow forecast tonight so, knowing next week looked bad, I took a leisurely 2 hr cruise. Angels singing, harps playing, yada yada.

On the way home I decided to stop by a shopping center to pick up a couple of things. No biggie. Shopping complete I get on the bike, start a slow tight turn to get out and someone decides to walk in front of me. The moment I grabbed the brakes I knew I was toast. Barely got my leg out of the way before she was down on her left side.

Picked baby up and did a quick once over.

No damage?

Really?

Rode home mad at the pedestrian, mad at myself and praying all really was okay. Back in the garage I did a slow careful examination and this was the only damage.

Slider_damage_zps6aff44b2.jpg

No harm to the mirror, bar, fairing, panniers, nada. Only the left slider! Right about now that looks like one of the best investments I ever made.

Both happy for you and sad!! Happy u bought and installed the sliders. Sad that u had to find out that they worked.

I bet some creative work with a heat gun and the slider would look good as new too. Congrats on dodging the bullet.

Bags were on and no damage???? What supported the aft of the bike? Good to know that the sliders keep the bike off the ground in a 0 mph tip over. That's what kind of protection I am looking for with the T-Rex sliders and Canyon Cages for the bags. Thanks for dropping yours in the interest of the forum
rolleyes.gif

Bags were on and no damage???? What supported the aft of the bike? Good to know that the sliders keep the bike off the ground in a 0 mph tip over. That's what kind of protection I am looking for with the T-Rex sliders and Canyon Cages for the bags. Thanks for dropping yours in the interest of the forum
rolleyes.gif
Maybe the weight is more forward so the bike didn't tilt back onto the bag? I had just filled the tank so that's an extra 40 pounds forward.

Maybe give Yamaha credit for knowing where the balance point is when they designed the sliders?

Or maybe I was just plain lucky?

Somebody else can do the next test and determine which. This isn't the sort of "contribution to the forum" I was hoping to make!

Sorry to hear about the tip over. I had those same sliders on my 13 and on my 14 but have not tried them out yet so I am glad they work well on a slow or no speed tip over.

We cover this scenario in exercise 14 stopping quickly in a curve of the BRC. I couldn't tell you how many bikes I have seen tip over when people apply the front brake while the handle bars are still turned at slow speeds. As you found out through no fault of your own, your going to have your hands full trying to hold the FRJ up when we don't straighten the handle bars before a slow speed stop using front brakes. I only hope I can put this knowledge to use when the pedestrian steps out in front of me.

An after the fact thought. If you had used the rear brake only do you think you would have gone down? Did the pedestrian see you coming?
Art, I think you are right. I wasn't there but by the description, I would say using the rear brake or straightening the handlebars before applying the front brake should have prevented this. Like I said in the prior post I hope my years of practicing this scenario on the range carries over in real life if or when needed out on the street.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dropping the bike was my fault. Yes someone surprised me by walking in front of me as I was turning. That they surprised me shows I did exactly what we hate when car drivers do it; failed to actually see when looking.

It still would have been okay if I had not let the bike lean during a low speed turn. I was counting on being able to apply a bit of throttle if needed to maintain balance. Having to stop instead doomed the turn and that's on me.

Mostly I wanted to show anyone thinking about the factory sliders that they actually do their job, at least in the most common scenario of a low or no speed drop.

Dropping the bike was my fault. Yes someone surprised me by walking in front of me as I was turning. That they surprised me shows I did exactly what we hate when car drivers do it; failed to actually see when looking.
It still would have been okay if I had not let the bike lean during a low speed turn. I was counting on being able to apply a bit of throttle if needed to maintain balance. Having to stop instead doomed the turn and that's on me.

Mostly I wanted to show anyone thinking about the factory sliders that they actually do their job, at least in the most common scenario of a low or no speed drop.
Thanks for the knowledge. Considering the construction of the OEM slider I always wondered how they would fare on a tip over.

My one parking lot drop was almost identical except we were 2 up and it was night and a bit uphill when the pedestrian stepped out from between cars in front of me while I was starting a right turn. Down in an instant, luckily both of us got our right legs clear but it was another reminder to pay more attention to nearby folks and to practice, practice, practise low speed tight turns.

I managed a drop with my '14 ES on an off camber grade at a stop light. My buddy in front stopped immediately, dismounted and was at my bike about the time I got off the pavement. A cage driver behind me got out and the three of us got the bike up, me remounted and them back on/in their rides before the light changed. The factory sliders don't show any mark at all and the MC Ent. bag guards have only a minor scuff…..no other damage….lucky me.

Good protection from the sliders. RJAMT I see you are at Scott AFB. I spent 6 years there, last tour was 2002-05. Glad to be out of that area!

Sucks that you guys are dropping your girls, but good to hear that those set ups are working on those 0 mph drops in the parking lot. I have nearly done the same thing twice with the 14 before installing these items, and it is prolly only a matter of time before I get a chance to test them as well
weirdsmiley.gif

Gravity is a bitch sometimes.

I managed to drop my '13, two up and fully loaded against a guardrail in Vermont. It wasn't even a 0 speed drop, it was -2mph drop (I was sliding backward on pea-gravel). Not a mark on my sliders!

Mind you, I managed to pinstripe the top of one of the saddlebags, and the side of the fairing below the glovebox... and threw my back out in a serious way trying to keep it OFF the guardrail.

No damage beyond scratches that will be refinished this spring. Despite being put together like a Lego, the Gen III's seem remarkably tough.