Westco battery not holding charge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaha1300rider

Reaction score
Westco batteries came highly recommended on both sides of the Atlantic so I bought one in June this year.

Mine will not now hold sufficient juice to give an open-circuit voltage exceeding 12.5V, even off the bike and connected to a tender - hence difficult to start bike.

So I conclude that either the battery or the tender is at fault - but which one?

The tender alone gives a maximum open circuit reading of 14V. Can anyone confirm if that is sufficient to get a good quality battery up to 12.8V, the normal level for this bike? The service manual suggests a reading of 16-17V is required from the tender/charger :blink:

If you guys feel my tender reading of 14V is ok then I'll get a new oem battery

BTW, anyone else had a problem with their westco?

Thanks in advance

14+ volts from the charger is fine. The output from the FJR charging system is 14+ volts. My charger/maintainer is current limited to 1.5 amps. Its voltage will rise to a max of 14.4 volts. In the maintain mode the charger voltage drops down to 13.2 volts.

A new battery must be charged to 100% before it's put into use. After the electrolyte is added to the new battery the charge is about 80%. A charger should be connected to bring the charge up to 100%.

Thanks Constant Mesh for the info - yes I did charge the battery fully when new

What still puzzles me is page 3-77 of the 2001-2003 Service Manual which states:

Charging method using a variable voltage charger

Note: Set the charging voltage to 16-17V (If the charging voltage is lower, *charging will be insufficient*....)

There is a difference in the charging requirements for the AGM battery that come on the FJR. Recommended charger is the Battery Tender Plus or other manufacturer equivalent. Not the regular Battery Tender.

Westco batteries came highly recommended on both sides of the Atlantic so I bought one in June this year.
Mine will not now hold sufficient juice to give an open-circuit voltage exceeding 12.5V, even off the bike and connected to a tender - hence difficult to start bike.

So I conclude that either the battery or the tender is at fault - but which one?

The tender alone gives a maximum open circuit reading of 14V. Can anyone confirm if that is sufficient to get a good quality battery up to 12.8V, the normal level for this bike? The service manual suggests a reading of 16-17V is required from the tender/charger :blink:

If you guys feel my tender reading of 14V is ok then I'll get a new oem battery

BTW, anyone else had a problem with their westco?

Thanks in advance
YEP!

I installed a Westco in my Blackbird and it died after 4,000 miles. I then reinstalled a three year old Yuasa and it's still going strong after 7,000 miles and 11 months. When I was at the local BMW shop having a set of tires installed, I mentioned the Westco battery to the Service Manager and he told me that he'd seen several failures of Westco batteries on his customer's bikes.

I doubt that I'd try another one either in my Blackbird or in my FJR. I do keep both bikes a Battery Tender Plus whenever they're parked in my garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was one of the early adopters of the Westco battery, and used to strongly recommend it. This was circa 2004-2005.

Singing a slightly different tune now....

The Wesco in my FJR has actually been fairly good... actually, I would say it's been excellent. It is going on it's fourth winter, and has about 45,000 miles on it, and it still spins the FJR's motor at a right fair pace, even when it's sub-freezing in the garage.

But similar to Bill, I did NOT enjoy the same level of success when I put a Westco in my Blackbird. in the fall of 2006. The following summer put an awful lot of miles on the bike in a pretty short period of time
whistling.gif
but then I let it sit for a good period afterward. By Sept 2008, it was dead meat. Replaces it with a Western Power battery since I was placing it on consigment.

Event though the Westco has been fairly stellar in the FJR, come time to replace it... it'll be a Yuasa, most likely.

Last edited by a moderator: