Western Colorado FJR Riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04FJRWC

Reaction score
Just getting back into the saddle post total knee joint replacement hoping to locate FJR riders Western Slope Colorado. My good friends all ride Harley's!

Got my 1st motorcycle on my 13th birthday and now I'm retired and still riding. Currently riding 2004 FJR and i just love it. Some of my buddies accuse me of being drunk with the power of the machine, to that i say my drivers license still has 12 points. Same guys say Gold Wings sound like sewing machines...they still rev their engines at stop signs despite have fuel injection.

I've lived in Colorado since 1979 fulfilling my childhood dream of living in Western Colorado. Lived in grand Junction most of these years moving to the base of the Grand Mesa in 2010.

I like secondary road, ones with lots of curves, few driveways, light traffic, light enforcement, and decent blacktop.

I miss Gateways Canyons pre exclusive cliental makeover-

I hate you. That is all.

biggrin.png

Might I suggest you head to the NAFO section in the FJR Organized Meetings section. Big meet-up coming up in a couple of weeks in Montrose! I think you can still get in.

Burns1

And ignore gixxerjasen, he's just jealous of our great roads!

If you can't make NAFO 2016 WeSTOC 21 will be in Grand Junction, CO August 29th to September 1st. We have 110 people signed up so far including 8 people, including myself, who will be on FJRs. This event started in 1996 as a Honda ST rally but is open to anyone into Sport Touring. Right now about 2/3 will be on Honda STs, the other 1/3 are on a variety of bikes. WeSTOC is a 4 day hotel based which will be at the Double Tree Grand Junction. Riders meeting, two vendor presentations by RKA, 2 meals including the closing night buffet banquet.

https://WeSTOC.org

Meet us at Nafo in Montrose!

I was stationed fort Carson 1979-1982 and I had a xs850midnight special that carried me all over colorada

Thank you guys for the welcome, I think.

You know what gixxerjason there is a REALLY nice house right next door to me that's for sale, shall I get that phone number?

I saw the FJR rally event last 4 days of July but it looks like a three day ride rally with day 1 being a round up for participants - bummer for me on account of my wife has booked me for the Telluride Art show where we are vendors the last three days of July. Gonna ride thru Montrose Thursday on my way to Black Canyon see if I can spot any early arrivals-

AdamK,

Thanks for the heads up on the Honda rally in Junction, 60 mile ride for me so I might ride once or twice for a ride along.

Still looking to meet some local FJR owners and I see a couple of you on the road from time to time.

Happy trails

For you guys who will be in Montrose find a way to ride the 10 mile long Debegue cutoff, 9 miles of curves with one legal passing section where the posted speed limit is 30 MPH a stretch of asphalt that gixxerjason can only dream of!

The cutoff is between Hwy 65 @ Plateau Creek & I-70. If you ride over Grand Mesa you will drive right by the turn. Be sure you turn around so can catch those curves a second time- could be the best 1/2 hour if your day!

I'd need a good paying job too. And then I need the wife to agree. Don't suppose you could arrange those too could you?
biggrin.png

I love coming to Colorado. We've got family in Crested Butte so we do have a good location to visit and stay when we do come. I'm super jealous though, because it's 100F outside right now.

That would it Mr Bill!

Crested Butte is fantastic country gixxerjason and not a great distance from one of the premier rides in the West, North Rim of the Black Canyon. Not to be confused with the south rim. That's my favorite ride. 175 mile round trip includes breakfast at Zack's in Hotchkiss and plenty of stops along the way, Hermits Point, stunning views 55 mile from home, Pioneer Point, this time of year if you walk the trail upriver from parking and work your way to the edge so will like witness the Turkey Vultures doing their aerial acrobatics using the thermal up drafts flapping nary a wing as fly feet from your faces as the bank their curves with the Gunnison River hundreds a feet below you. I always stop at the dam just to take it all in, or as much as I can absorb. This is a great ride no mater what you mode of transport.

Here's a funny on me; last week I was at the dam hydrating and some traffic crossed by top of the dam including a 125 or a 250 maybe enduro type bike and I wondered how far he would get before I overtook him. So he was two cars ahead which I passed and when I caught him i thought I could take him going up this long hill just ahead but as I got on his tail I realized he was barely leaning into curves that was working really hard to manage at speed. Hey I ride this road 25-30 times a year, I got mussel memory developed for these curves-I sweating bullets and this guy is putting along on a single cylinder!

In the end I passed him but I still think he let me pass having seen my grayness while parked at the dam.

That would it Mr Bill!
I was just there a couple of weeks ago on a WeSTOC recon run. We did the Mesa but rode the 65 back to I70 as we were headed back to the Double Tree in GJ. The last part of that is pretty fun too! Maybe I should add and out and back on the Debegue cutoff to our WeSTOC Grand Mesa route! :)

Here's a funny on me; last week I was at the dam hydrating and some traffic crossed by top of the dam including a 125 or a 250 maybe enduro type bike and I wondered how far he would get before I overtook him. So he was two cars ahead which I passed and when I caught him i thought I could take him going up this long hill just ahead but as I got on his tail I realized he was barely leaning into curves that was working really hard to manage at speed. Hey I ride this road 25-30 times a year, I got mussel memory developed for these curves-I sweating bullets and this guy is putting along on a single cylinder! In the end I passed him but I still think he let me pass having seen my grayness while parked at the dam.
Somehow you must have missed the entire Supermoto thing. I remember first hearing about some guy with a dirtbike on slicks embarrassing sport bike riders at the track. Not such a big deal now and they even have their own racing classes, though the fad has died down somewhat. I'm rather impressed you were able to hang with one in the twisties with you riding big mama.
biggrin.png

I actually just picked one up again because they are such a hoot. This one is lightly modified.
wink.png

20160611_154609_zpszhrfms6u.jpg

Thank you for the road tip Mr WC. I'll make sure to ride it going into Montrose on Thursday. S76 and I should arrive at the hotel by early afternoon and hope to see you there!

I thought of another hidden gem, Taylor Creek Road. So for the Colorado Rally on your Durango/Telluride loop find Stoner Colorado between Rico & Dolores. Taylor Creek is right at Stoner in fact traveling south from Rico the turn is immediately after you cross over Taylor Creek bridge. It is a Forest Access road as well as ranch access and a person could ride to Norwood if you have the stomach for a few dozen miles of gravel/dirt roads. I'm thinking its 12-15 miles of asphalt but it's been a few years.

We would just run the pavement out, hydrate, then run it again back to the highway. Last time I was there we were greeted by a 10 year old selling lemonade at gravel/pavement transition. Hope her sister is set up when you get there!

This is one you will remember.

Taylor Creek road near Stoner Ranch appears to be gravel looking at Google Earth. The street view was taken winter so there's snow in the pic, but the satellite view makes it look gravel?