What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i put on my Sci Cal tinted sporty wind screen.

Low position:

IMG_9272_zps4416eac9.jpg

High Position:

IMG_9261_zps8faac39e.jpg

Installed Speedbleeders on brakes and clutch. I loves them! Gonna order a set for the '35 coupe. Also installed Griptech tank grips in snakeskin. Really makes gripping the tank with your knees effortless. Enhances comfort and control. Both products highly recommended.

Just received the Doran 360 TPMS today. On vacation (holiday, for you Limeys) this coming week, so will install and test. I'll install outside first, to make sure all works, then do inside install with 90* valve stems supplied, when I get new rubber put on in about 2 months.

DID the second oil change of the year and that being for a bike in a Minnesota riding season, and I don't ride anywhere near as as much as that Tripper guy.
LOL I think this season you're riding a bit more than I am NBB. I seem to be putting my bike in the shed every other 3 days to work on this and work on that. Which reminds me, I need to do an oil change.

Rode about 550 miles, many of which were great twisties in North Georgia, broke the 10,000 mile barrier on the odo, and had a grand time.

[yesterday- we got home late]

Last edited by a moderator:
Woke up to a very rare north wind this morning. Still hot, but the humidity was down a good bit. So I pulled the big girl out and ran about 100 miles out and about in the countryside. It's been a few weeks - we've missed each other. Crossed paths with a sherriff deputy on a lone Parish road running about 65ish in a 55 mph zone. Didn't realize who he was until it was too late. He flashed his lights at me for about 1/4 second, and as I slowed down, we waived at each other. I've ridden this particular road a hundred times - it's way out in the middle of no where. I've never seen a cop there - ever. I suspect maybe he was heading home and didn't want to be bothered. Or maybe he was just being nice. Or maybe he is a rider himself and knows that it's very hard to ride the speed limit on a desolate highway. Either way - no arguement from me!

In preparation for our trip in a week, today i installed the Givi SR357 rear frame and Bestem 929 (very easy), Givi Tank bag with the gas cap mount, also easy, ran the GPS/XM(2730 with hockey puck SM) wiring and mounted same, installed BT dongle to comm with Sena units, ordered the Migsel mount for installation after the trip, used the clutch res. mount for now. Ran some switched USB power to the rear of the bike under seat for charging iPad/iPod/cell phone, etc under seat. Waiting on Spencerized seat which should be back Monday or Tuesday. The ST got similar treatment except removed the tail case and will use the rear rack for my big duffle to carry the camping gear. Will be making a relatively large loop from Illinois north thru Black Hills, Yellowstone, Jackson, Yosemite, PCH, Lake Havasu, Grand Canyon, Million Dollar Hwy, Mt. Evans, then find my way back home. My son and I will be sharing the two bikes and my grandson will be riding along to keep us out of trouble. I'll try to keep this board and the ST-owners up to speed on the comparison of the two bikes, the ST is an '04, but other than the color just like them all, the FJR is about a week old, but will have a few miles on it prior to the trip start and home garage 600 mile service (has a couple hundred on it now, need the seat to get the rest. I have gained quite a bit of tips and knowledge from this forum already and will try to participate as best I'm able to repay the group.

Took the russel off and threw on the yami gel comfort seat to go to work. Russel is on the shelf for a while. Haven fun on the twisties going to work each day. Summer traffic has decreased and its time to wick it up a notch.
ninja.gif

Glad its a short week,

Dave

just turned 11K miles, so I changed out my original spark plugs and did a TBS. I was kinda surprised to find the TBS was a little out of sync..I was spoiled to the Gen II being right on for the entire 88K miles I had it. If anyone wants to see what the plugs looked like at 11K....

IMG_9310_zpsc1936a9a.jpg

and if you wonder what the COP looks like on the Gen III....

IMG_9304_zpsb9562529.jpg

the connector to the COP...

IMG_9301_zpsb020595d.jpg

over view of the plug portion of the engine bay..

IMG_9300_zps2d0138ae.jpg

The COP is a really positive feature of the '13's I had forgotten about.

It means that the ignition (most likely) is no longer a "wasted spark" design (no need to since the plugs don't share coils anymore) and that you will get a more consistent high voltage spark on every plug firing. Plugs fire only half as often reduces wear, and it also means that using iridium plugs start to make better sense since the plugs will always fire from the pointy center iridium electrode to the side. You might actually be able to just stick a set of iridium plugs in there and forget about them entirely for ~ 100k miles like on modern auto engines.

Curiously, even with the improved coil over plug design, the 2013 owner's manual still shows plug changes are required every 8k miles.
no2.gif

They must own stock in NGK or something...

Last edited by a moderator:
Curiously, even with the improved coil over plug design, the 2013 owner's manual still shows plug changes are required every 8k miles...
Fred, what are you doing with a '13 owner's manual? Is there something you're not telling us?? Another GenI turncoat???

Naw, not yet anyway. I still haven't used up all of my 2005 yet, with only 80k miles on her.

I just downloaded the owners manual from Yamaha (as soon as it became available) so that I could see what all of the cool features are in the new model. It comes in handy for things like this. You can just go to the Yamaha Owners web site and with a little white lie to them (saying you have a 2013) they let you have a .pdf copy of the owner's manual gratis. ;)

Those spark plugs look mucho fantastic. I recently changed mine after more than 15K and they looked just like yours - no deposits and an excellent ash brown color. I was thrilled to know that in that time, they were within 0.005" of their original gap (no apprciable wear).

The more I read about the FJR - the more I like it. They are just great bikes. Like Fred, I hope to ride my '05 well into the future. But if fate (for whatever reason) grabs me this weekend, rest assured, I will buy another FJR.