What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a zero speed get off in the driveway, (sidestands are not overrated, but have to be all the way in place), replaced left side mirror and reassembled left side bag, after getting lid back from Garauld. Great service, by the way.
While buttoning back the dash panels, tightened nut on headlight adjustment knob too tight, broke holder. Ordered replacement, so get to tear it apart again later this week. It's times like this that naked bikes look very appealing...
Let me suggest never taking those knobs off. I've had my 07 apart many, many times and never removed either knob. The trick is to simply unscrew the knurled nut that holds the speedometer cable to the back of the adjust mechanism and then pull that panel off with knob and adjuster fully installed. Super easy (as long as you realize the speedometer cable is square and must be rotated slightly to go back into the hole upon reassembly).

Let me suggest never taking those knobs off. I've had my 07 apart many, many times and never removed either knob. The trick is to simply unscrew the knurled nut that holds the speedometer cable to the back of the adjust mechanism and then pull that panel off with knob and adjuster fully installed. Super easy (as long as you realize the speedometer cable is square and must be rotated slightly to go back into the hole upon reassembly).
That's what I'll do to put the new piece in, good idea.

Today, I gave my FJR some bad news: Aunt Kelly has broken a bone in her left foot (dancing too hard
coolsmiley02.gif
) and can't drive. That requires me to provide chauffeur duty for the next month, meaning no commutes on the FJR until mid-February.

We both cried for a moment or two, then realized this means a little more slack for BMR bonus hunting!

I didn't ride today but it looks like the 2015 bike is going to be put away for the winter now. All done until spring. My driveway will only be passable for the rest of the winter for 4 wheel vehicles only. 2" of snow today and another 6" comming in for tomorrow. It was a good stretch while it lasted.

The good news is my 08 is in the garage at my mother in laws which is right on the road. So if the streets clear up I will be good to go. Pays to have an extra bike. Of course my wife doesn't seem to agree with that fact.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Pays to have an extra bike. Of course my wife doesn't seem to agree with that fact.
Dave
That's because the two bikes are too similar... Add a Sportbike or a naked bike; something different, and you've got a better chance at justifying multiple rides. OR, you need whatever they are to be almost the same color. My brother had two bikes for the better part of a year un-noticed, because they were both red.

You can thank me later.

What did I do to my FJR this past weekend? On Saturday, for the first time ever in its life (or mine) I rode it in temperatures well below freezing, and through about 50 feet of slushy ice in a turn that had been in the shade all day. On Sunday, we rode in 19F weather to a nearby Moose Lodge.

Both were for Big Money Rally bonus locations. Each was worth 1.03 points, but together, they will make a BIG difference in my BMR ranking. (((
no.gif
)))

Decided it was just a touch too cold this morning to ride to work. Snuck in a quick 10 miles after I got home. Day 231 consecutive in the books.

Nothin! but my dam truck just barely made it home after the engine light came on. WTF over. This cold weather shit sucks. I may have to take the FJR tomorrow.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,

Dave,

That sucks! The truck I mean. Had that experience far too often in my F-150 POS edition.

Rode to work again, day 232. I fear eventually my streak will end but.......just how long can I keep going until it does?

The link I posted recently to Revzilla about my buddy Blaine Paulus.....According to his FB page he's on day 6157 or something as of Jan. 1

Dave,
That sucks! The truck I mean. Had that experience far too often in my F-150 POS edition.

Rode to work again, day 232. I fear eventually my streak will end but.......just how long can I keep going until it does?

The link I posted recently to Revzilla about my buddy Blaine Paulus.....According to his FB page he's on day 6157 or something as of Jan. 1
Well your'e a better man than I am. Pulling for you. 3 degrees here this morning. That would stop me from riding for sure. I just parked the truck last night. I may take a look at it tonight when I get home. 4 wheel vehicles suck. Why can't Yamaha come out with a car. If it is anything like the FJR it would just keep running without any problems.

Good luck,

Dave

The plan was to ride it to work today.
not_i.gif
Such was not the case. My original battery has finally said enough. Time to order a new one.

Caging it today instead,

Dave

Rode it to work in the HOV lane behind a commuter bus. Got it, and my hat, dirty:

35073400313_15f062c399_c.jpg

Rode it to work, this time with the next step towards a fully functional one-screen cockpit.

35882610885_8943653df2_c.jpg

iPad mini 4, a Christmas present from the lovely Aunt Kelly.

Rode it to work, this time with the next step towards a fully functional one-screen cockpit.

[img=[URL="https://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag417/unclehud/big%20screen_zps8snugdlf.jpg%5D"]https://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag417/unclehud/big%20screen_zps8snugdlf.jpg][/URL]

iPad mini 4, a Christmas present from the lovely Aunt Kelly.
You may want to Google the legality if having a video screen between a vehicle operator and the road. Illegal in every state I can think of. I know, here, you'd get a quality ticket. That's way more than just a GPS screen, and since it has the huge potential for "distracted driving" your chance of having issues is very high.