What happens to Dyna Beads in 8700 miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy Rider

Reaction score
So I did a little tire maintenance today and replaced the front PR2. I have been running Dyna Beads in the tire since it was new and changed it at 8700 miles. They seem to do a good job with balance and tire wear and overall I'm happy with the results. The tire looks like it wore well, at least comparing it to all of the other PR2's I've run. When I removed the tire I dumped the used Dyna Beads and a bunch of other crap onto a plastic trash bag. When they went in the tire they were the small white beads you see in the photo. I noticed that some of the Dyna Beads appear to be large black beads now. If you look at the pile of used Dyna Beads in the photo you can see some flaked paint. The brown thing in the photo was from the wood block I used to break the bead. The only thing I can think of that could have caused this is maybe they got heated up in the tire and melted some of the paint from the inside of the rim or some of the inner carcass of the tire. The inside of the tire looks like other PR2's that I have run without Dyna Beads. If you look at the photo of the rim you can see a patch of missing paint. The rest of the rim has no bare spots. :dntknw: Anyone else have a similar experience or any input on what could cause this?

13b8a4f8.jpg

0f82097a.jpg

0722815a.jpg

fe41e32a.jpg

fc6b7157.jpg

... noticed that some of the Dyna Beads appear to be large black beads now...If you look at the photo of the rim you can see a patch of missing paint...
The black beads are 'Tire Pearls', 'Rubber Tree Seeds', 'Tire Seeds'. The black balls are normal byproducts of the tire, caused by mold release on the inside of the tire flaking off and getting balled up by the tire's rotation. Smush one and see what it is made of, the black beads should be soft and not really rubbery.

Can't help you with the patch of missing paint. Perhaps caused by damage when the tire was mounted? Or damaged when the tire was removed? Simply poor paint adhesion? It should have nothing to do with the Dyna Beads.

I use a Doran TPMS which precludes the use of Dynabeads since the beads would damage the sensors. I balance my tires myself using the stick-on lead weights with some black duct tape covering them for aesthetics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan, Do you think the formation of the "tire pearls" is exacerbated by the Dyna Beads? Dan
I don't know for sure, but it would seem that hundreds of beads whizzing along the carcass of the tire would tend to disrupt the soft mold release. I guess the Dyna Beads see the rubber balls as friends and they run together; as opposed to the hard Dyna Beads grinding the soft rubber balls into dust.

Some tire brands ball up worse than others. I have heard that Michelin tires are more prone to balls than others. I have also heard that some tires create balls due to movement of the tire bead line flexing at the rim. If that were the case I would have expected the tire bead to trap some Dyna Beads between the tire bead and the rim. Lots of beads in and on tires, eh?

Happy,

When we took the tires off with Dyna Beads, my tires had the same little rubbery balls as does yours. However, there was NO Blemishes on the Inner Wheels.

Looks like your Tire Life and Wear was excellent.

The DynaBeads aren't going to be touching the rim while the wheel is spinning. centrifugal force keeps them against the tire. When the wheel stops spinning the beads will collect at the bottom, also against the tire.

As suggested, try smushing a few black beads and see if they are black all the way through or are white beads coated with black. I don't know what that means either way. :unsure:

Don't sweat the small stuff. Those beads qualify.

pete

I don't know aboot the dyna beads.. But I bet Bill is figuring he'd get a least 2 K on those hardly worn tires.. :lol:

I am not a big fan of Dyna beads. Hence another reason not to use them. I currently have over 12K on the front PR2 tire with plenty of more to go. I haven't even hit the wear bars yet. I changed my buddys tires which had Dyna beads in them. The beads were all stuck to the inside of the tire. I am not sure what got in there (Moisture?) but that did it for me. I will stick with the weights. PR2's don't need a whole lot of weights any way.

Dave

Thanks for all of the input. I checked the black beads and they are soft and appear to be composed of rubber. They all have a small Dyna Bead in the center. Good point about the Dyna Beads never coming in contact with the wheel while in motion due to the centrifugal force. I'm happy with the Dyna Beads and will order more for the new tire. Tire wear seems good and I like how easy it is to install the beads and balance the tire. I'm too cheap and lazy to get one of those fancy tire balancers. I was just pissed to see all of the crap in the Dyna Beads that came out of the used tire because I was going to recycle the old ones. :dribble:

I use plastic air pellets from Wally-World. (Not sure of size but could check when I get home next week.) Way less $$. Ian, Iowa

Happy Rider,

Are you still a fan of the Dyna-beads? I'm thinking it might be time to give them a try. I'm starting to get a slight bounce at higher speeds. Any comments would be appreciated.

Canadian FJR

The trouble with using Dyna-Beads is you only get half the mileage on your tire that you'd be getting without, 'cuz they're wearing out from both the outside and the inside at the same time. :dribble:

At least, that's my theory.