What is the stock tire that comes on the 2009 FJR's...doesn't look like an Z6

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike747

Reaction score
I did some searching and found that the Metzeler Z6 was used on the FJR's as stock OEM tires. But the bike I just bought (but have not picked up yet) has a different tread pattern.

So is there another tire that came on the 09 FJR's?

Thanks.

I did some searching and found that the Metzeler Z6 was used on the FJR's as stock OEM tires. But the bike I just bought (but have not picked up yet) has a different tread pattern.

Thanks.
I think some, not all, came with the Metzlers (mine did) and some came with Bridgestones (Going from memory).

Soemone will chime in and clear it up, but I do know that not all came with the Metzlers.

FJRs have been delivered with both Metzlers and Bridgestones, the latest (on factory '09s) being the 021. Unless they've been changed, I bet you have the 'stones.

Edit -- Link to the 'stones...021's

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
FJRs have been delivered with both Metzlers and Bridgestones, the latest (on factory '09s) being the 021. Unless they've been changed, I bet you have the 'stones.

--G
Yep, I just check Bridgestones site and the pictures I have of my bike and the BT21's look the same. I'm kinda glad. It looks like the Metzeler was not a good tire.

I've only every had Michelin Pilots. I hope the Bridgestones handle as well. I ran dual compound Pilot Road II's on my FZ1 and I loved them for grip and wear. I wonder if I should just yank the Bridgestones off before spring and put Pilots on. I'm sure I could get some half decent coin for brand new BT021's. It doesn't look like the BT021's are a dual compound type technology.

The 021 doesn't have that great a reputation on the front of the FJRs. Some tires developed a weird tri-angular wear pattern depending on how aggressively the bike is ridden. Keep the pressure up, but don't be surprised if it's done in less than 4,000 miles...

Congrats on the new bike!

--G

TAKE THE NEWEST OF THEM, THE Z8 ON IT.

Thanks.

One of the best decisions I made was to change out the factory Bridgestones. I put on Michelin PR's. The difference in handling is huge and my wrists appreciate the change as well.

The latest B'stone sport-tour tire is the BT023. The 023GT model is recommended fitment for the FJR as it has a stronger carcase for the heavier loads. The 023 seems to get better reviews than the 021. BTW, my '09 came with the Metzlers which I replaced with BT023s at 8K miles. Don't know what Yama is putting on the 2011s.

pete

The Metzeler Z6's were great tires IMHO, for excellent stickiness and average wear. I run a Z6 on the front always, experimenting with others now for the rear. BT021's were indeed dual compound but very soft on the sides and wore out fast. PR2's are definitely harder and wear longer, but are not as sticky. I'm going darkside for now.

One of the best decisions I made was to change out the factory Bridgestones. I put on Michelin PR's. The difference in handling is huge and my wrists appreciate the change as well.

My front B-Stone only lasted 3500 on my 09 The rear might make it to 5000--maybe Got a Mich-PR on the front now--sweet

The Metzeler Z6's were great tires IMHO, for excellent stickiness and average wear. I run a Z6 on the front always, experimenting with others now for the rear. BT021's were indeed dual compound but very soft on the sides and wore out fast. PR2's are definitely harder and wear longer, but are not as sticky. I'm going darkside for now.
+1 mostly. I thought the Z6 on the rear was a much better tire than the PR2.

8,000 and change on my OE Z6s and still going and looking not to bad unless they go away real quick I think they should pass 10,000. I don't really have any complaints about sticking though I have nothing to compare with. :unsure:

I got about 4500 miles on the 021s that came on my bike. The front had worn to a triangle with steep shoulders and a ridge in the center, and rear tire had tire cord exposed. Nice tires while they lasted, which wasn't long, but I'm really enjoying the Michelin PR2s.

front at 4K

001Medium.jpg

002Medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My '09A came with Bridgestones; total crap IMO (esp the front) - switch to PR2's at earliest opportunity!

There are way too many good tires on the market to ever put another Bridgestone on my bike again. Mine came with the BT020s and I got just over 5k with them I think. Maybe 4, but I don't remember. I replaced them with a Pilot Road in the front and a BT021 in the rear. Supposed to be a better tire, but it didn't stick any better, and it was worn out within almost exactly the same mileage as the 020.

I went to RoadSmarts and have loved them ever since.