What other bike did you have right before the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of rider would you self-identify yourself as primarily today?

• ADV or dual sport rider

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
This idea came up on another thread where the OP stated he had previously owned a Concours, before buying his new to him FJR, and I remarked on how many of us came from Concours.

Professor ionbeam challenged me to start a new thread about it, so here is that thread complete with another worthless poll:

The poll questions speak for themselves...You (intentionally) only get one choice to each question.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came from a '56 Panhead, with a 10" over Durfee girder front end, though it wasn't immediate. 20 yr. gap allowed me to mature enough for the FJR. :)

I had a 95 Connie. It was a great bike but I wanted more, more power, better handling, more stock features so I got an FJR and have never looked back.

I came to the FJR from an 08 R1, and 30 years of pure laser focused sportbikes before that. My Gen II is my first sport tourer. I'm never going back. My FJR is the perfect bike for me.

Came from a SuperHawk(not listed given that is was a 2 cylinder VTwin) but I rode it as a sport bike,commuter, utility, touring, since it did none of those well, I bought the FJR.

Had a connie & a Kawi Vulcan 800

2648496694_ae8164c978_z.jpg

My previous bike was a Yamaha Venture. Doesn't really fit into the categories - need a "Touring Bike" option for stuff like the Venture and Goldwing. A full dresser Harley (Ultra) would also belong there rather than in Harley (any).

I put Sport Touring as the primary use but it doesn't really fit. Far more touring than sport but couldn't say "only ride to go places".

I had no bike immediately before the FJR. I had been off bikes for 20 years when I walked in one Saturday of 2003 and picked up my 04.

Twenty years previous I had a big Yamaha Special.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode a Yamaha Midnight Maxim which I bought because it was available cheap and I really wanted anything I could get after not riding for many years. It was OK for commuting and flower sniffing but I only rode it once a year to freshen the gas after I got my FJR. I classified it as a metric cruiser.

82 GS1100E, in 1995. FAST bike. Seems to me that bike was still favored by drag racers long after it went out of production because of the one-piece con rods. I wasn't seriously into street bike riding at the time, just hooliganned around the town and back and forth to work every now and then. I think the farthest I went on it was Table Rock. The most noteworthy thing I did on that bike was get my m/c endorsement on my driver's license. At the time the SC drivers test was a course around cones that were spaced tighter than a lot of bikes minimum turning radius. The vast majority of SC motorcyclists just rode on perpetually renewed m/c learners' permits. Others borrowed a small bike or dualsport to take the test. A bunch of folks didn't beleive me when I told them that I passed the test on a GS1100 but that bike was a prime example of the Universal Japanese Motorcycle, and as easy to ride slow as it was to ride fast. I admit that my circle of friends at the time weren't serious motorcyclists. SC evetually made the test more realistic and limited the number of times that the learners permit can be renewed.

My prior bike was an FJR :)
Not "before your first FJR" it wasn't. ;)

Came from a SuperHawk(not listed given that is was a 2 cylinder VTwin) but I rode it as a sport bike,commuter, utility, touring, since it did none of those well, I bought the FJR.
SuperHawk is an Asian sport bike, regardless that it was an L twin.

My previous bike was a Yamaha Venture. Doesn't really fit into the categories - need a "Touring Bike" option for stuff like the Venture and Goldwing. A full dresser Harley (Ultra) would also belong there rather than in Harley (any).
I put Sport Touring as the primary use but it doesn't really fit. Far more touring than sport but couldn't say "only ride to go places".
Yeah, I was only allowed 10 bikes / categories. I guess touring bikes will fall under "other"

Immediately prior to my '15 FJR I had an '04 Honda ST1300. A great motorcycle in every respect. I like my Gen3 better.

I was unable to fit my riding "type" then or now into any of Fred's categories. My ST and my FJR to an even greater degree were both beasts of many burdens. I use my FJR as work transportation, shopping/errand running, sport riding foolishness, long distance touring, general transportation, and pretty much everything but real off-road work.

The FJR is the Leatherman tool of motorcycles.

Can't select more than one bike. How about what other bikes did you own before adding a FJR to the fold? Only one bike isn't thinking large enough Fred. ;)

My prior bike was a Gen 1 FZ1. Wish I could have kept it, comfy, sporty and fast. But I wanted to get back to offroad so I obtained a KTM 950 Adventure. This explains my "other" vote for type of rider. On road the KTM can be a bit hooligan, so I identify myself as a sport touring adv dual sport semi hooligan type rider.