What type of oil for my AE with 4K miles?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROBSMST

Reaction score
Hi,

Time for the oil change. Other than what is in my manual what do you recommend? I've used Amsoil on all my other bikes/cars (yes I know it's overpriced).

Please only comment on your experience with oil for AE. Should I stay away from anything specific because it is an AE? I live in San Jose, CA and don't plan to ride in the snow but do ride in the cold.

Also, I feel strange changing oil and not the filter. Any thoughts there?

Yamalube 4 (20W40) or SAE20W40 is what is recommended.

Is there anything I SHOULD NOT use?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

The best oil to use is.....FRESH....period. Any other discussion will have its proponents and naysayers. I use Yamalube, or whatever else I can get. The most important thing is to change it regularly.

No motor oil will be different for the AE model. The servo is merely a device external to the engine for the initiation of and acitvation of the clutch, nothing is different internally about the clutch plates/discs, etc.

I also change my filter every time. My choice.

Search is your friend!

Clicky for amsoil thread.

Rotella thread

Synthetic oil thread

Last edited by a moderator:
"Procrastinate now, don't put it off!"

O.K. let's see... what oil to use. I know I've read something about that here. Let me see if I can use one of the search tools and find it. Give me five minutes.

I like this one: click

This looks like reliable info: click

Sorry if that took longer than five minutes.

There are a couple of ways for you to do the same thing I just did. The simple method is the "Search" link near the upper right of the Forum screen (either skin). Words must be more than three characters long, or phrases in quotes. The other two methods, including my personal favorite can be found here: Click on this underlined text or here

FWIW I use 15W-40 non-synthetic

Thanks!

I wasn't aware of the search function (requiring more than 3 letters). Also, was fishing for anything specific on the AE but glad to see there is no difference on this point.

I agree of changing often and keeping fresh and the filter.

I wasn't aware of the search function (requiring more than 3 letters). Also, was fishing for anything specific on the AE but glad to see there is no difference on this point.
I know. It's a big surprise to some. We only recommend it in big bold letters when you sign up. And we wouldn't dare put this easy-to-use alternate search method that works on any word length in an easy place to find.

I'll leave you in suspense about the other things you missed. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know. It's a big surprise to some. We only recommend it in big bold letters when you sign up. And we wouldn't dare put this easy-to-use alternate search method that works on any word length in an easy place to find.

Rob, its Dogpile Friday and be glad everyone is in a better mood than LAST Friday. :unsure:

Seriously, you'll learn to maneuver around the forum, but I would strongly suggest you read ALL the newbie guidelines: Click the link and read:

Important Information for New Users!, Post Here First!, Member Map, FNG, Photos, Warn, etc.

Or learn via "On The Forum Training", just be prepared for the sarcastic "wit". :dribble:

I can take it all. I can dish it out too so I make a point of taking it.

I'm not the first or last to post questions to answers I can find myself. But I posted, went to pick up my daughter and came back to answers.

I didn't have time to look up when I posted so I did it the quick way. On the forum for my other bike I answer questions people ask and also tell them where they can look. Over time I will do the same here.

Sometimes people need a quick answer and don't mind getting a few smart a$$ ones in the process.

If I get banned from posting for not searching and just asking it doesn't matter because most of what I've learned I've done without posting. These sites are great and contain a ton of great info.

After all that is said and done there is one other aspect of me you will eventually learn. You all have this and do this. You ride your own ride. Or in other words, could care less what others think. Some of the comebacks were funny. Most were duplicates of comments made on other threads where people asked.

Ha, if I don't care then why so much? TV commercial break.

If anyone cares I chose the amsoil 10-40 and Purolator One. Have to do an oil change on the LS and also on my wife's car. Going to spend a lot of time with lubricants this weekend.

If you are riding this weekend, be safe.

I can take it all. I can dish it out too so I make a point of taking it.
I'm not the first or last to post questions to answers I can find myself. <snip>

I didn't have time to look up when I posted so I did it the quick way. On the forum for my other bike I answer questions people ask and also tell them where they can look. Over time I will do the same here.

Sometimes people need a quick answer and don't mind getting a few smart a$$ ones in the process.
Of course! We know it happens that's why I posted answers and provided links in case you wanted more information.

If I get banned from posting for not searching and just asking it doesn't matter because most of what I've learned I've done without posting. These sites are great and contain a ton of great info.
You're not likely to get banned or even warned for that. Just chided from the peanut gallery, like you were.
You're going to fit in just fine. :D

Hey, robsms......amsoil also has a filter...I forget what number, though. And, you can get it in CHROME!!!!!!!!!!....other option is black....

To answer one part of your question that nobody touched on, and was perhaps the most germane part of your query:

There is absolutely no difference in the oil requirements of the AE as compared to the A.

But you've already made you selection, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

Rob, its Dogpile Friday and be glad everyone is in a better mood than LAST Friday. :unsure:

Seriously, you'll learn to maneuver around the forum, but I would strongly suggest you read ALL the newbie guidelines: Click the link and read:

Important Information for New Users!, Post Here First!, Member Map, FNG, Photos, Warn, etc.

Or learn via "On The Forum Training", just be prepared for the sarcastic "wit". :dribble:
I say, ask any question you like or use the search button or both. Those that like to help people will give you a good answer and those that like to be smartasses will be. Welcome to the forum.

... also on my wife's car. Going to spend a lot of time with lubricants this weekend.
Something for her to look forward to...

To answer one part of your question that nobody madmike2 touched on answered immediately, and was perhaps the most germane part of your query:
There is absolutely no difference in the oil requirements of the AE as compared to the A.

But you've already made you selection, so perhaps it doesn't matter.
fixed ;)