What's in your saddle bag?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger55

Reaction score
I'm picking up my 2005 FJR on Saturday (my first FJR). Now I just have to sell my V-Star. I have never had lockable saddle bags before so I'm wondering what kind of useful stuff to keep in the bags when I go for day rides.

Bring a change of clothes for when the "day" trip lasts through the weekend.

yahoo.gif

Brodie

Rain gear in one side bag, bungee cords in the top case, just in case I find something to pick up that I couldn't get home with otherwise.

Day to day riding, that's it. For heading out somewhere, the camera bag goes in the other side case. For a trip to the grocery store, all the bags get emptied to make room for food.

Bags or under seat or backpack or all of above, things I don't travel with out..

Tire repair kit + 12vdc pump

Advil

Wonder knife (all in one tool, knife, saw)

Hidden CC + cash

FJR Assistance list and friends you can rely on with your life info

gun (if comfortable for you)

ammunition (if you carry :lol: )

survival blankie

well thought out tool kit

AAA or other road service card

rain gear

cold weather gear (ok, if going to Death Valley in August I'll not bring)

lip balm

Whiskey flask

1st aid kit

...geesh, no wonder I ride a friggin bagger.

..funny how age changes things, back in the day all I needed were spare condoms...

Always carry (so I'll never need it) Tire repair kit, small air comp.,air gauge, first aid kit, canyon dancer bar harness with 2 tie down straps, duct and electrical tape, zip ties and emergency Patron on long trips.

I don't have my bags on the bike for day trips. Now, for overnight trips, I travel light. The left bag is for motorcycle stuff: tire repair kit, air comp, air gauge, manual, maps, extra shield, towel, shield cleaner, flashlight, disk lock, etc. The right bag is for my clothes and toiletries. My suit is water proof so I don't need a rain suit. If cold weather is present or possible, I carry my electric vest. Plus camera and iPhone charger.

Bags or under seat or backpack or all of above, things I don't travel with out..

Tire repair kit + 12vdc pump

Advil

Wonder knife (all in one tool, knife, saw)

Hidden CC + cash

FJR Assistance list and friends you can rely on with your life info

gun (if comfortable for you)

ammunition (if you carry :lol: )

survival blankie

well thought out tool kit

AAA or other road service card

rain gear

cold weather gear (ok, if going to Death Valley in August I'll not bring)

lip balm

Whiskey flask

1st aid kit

...geesh, no wonder I ride a friggin bagger.

..funny how age changes things, back in the day all I needed were spare condoms...

Good list, dc, but "spare" condoms? Is that like, besides the one you're wearing? :dribble: :lol:

I carry most of the same stuff. Stuff for rain, just in case. Extra long-sleeved "T" cuz it can get cold any night. Flashlight. Spare bulbs. In winter, the heated vest. In summer, the cooling vest in a gallon baggie (so I can soak it if needed). I carry the tools, flat tire stuff and first aid kit just SO I won't need them. Nice to have all the storage of an FJR. It's why I always ride with my side cases on. The spare key's in my wallet. Oh, and a towel, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Under the seat permanently are the 12v tire pump and string plugs. Tool kits got a few better tools, including allen set and multi tool.

In the glove box are the big foot for the side stand to sit on a soft surface, a tire gauge, and my registration/insurance papers in a ziplock.

In the top box it depends on the day. Usually have:

Tupperware full of quarters for DC parking meters.

rain gear

spare face shield to swap between dark & clear

Usually the ipad in sleeve (replaced netbook)

Usually a water/GatorAid/soda in some kind of towel to keep them from vibrating against the case interior

(Had my 37 mile commute open a pinhole in a Pepsi can once.)

Weekend rides include the 1st aid kit, extra water, and maybe a few more odds/ends, depending on the group.

Seldom have the side cases on. If on, they're packed for a trip.

Spare key is taped to the bike in a place that only I know and it'd take disassembly to get to.

Carver - a gun in the box or bag? :lol: What the heck good is that? Don't get me wrong, I stay proficient and have no problem from the carrying aspect. But on a bike? I can just see you taking the time to dig it out, hollering "you bad guys wait while I get my gun out" and then trying to shoot left-handed while wheely-ing away. Or do you plan to push over the FJR like a dead horse and shoot from behind it? [kidding - not a gun flame folks!]

Last edited by a moderator:
What I carry changes everyday, but what I always carry is a flat repair kit with 12v air pump, Multi-tool. If I'm going on a long trip (outside of normal commuting distance) I'll add a better tool kit.

... But on a bike? I can just see you taking the time to dig it out, hollering "you bad guys wait while I get my gun out" and then trying to shoot left-handed while wheely-ing away.
Wow! I never thought of it - excellent point, Checkswrecks! I need to start practicing with my left hand... Shooting I mean! :)

Great topic guys. I did not ride for 3 years and getting back in line now. When I sold my R1200C I thought this is it and gave pretty much all the staff to the guy who bought it - this is exactly what I need!

I keep the bags on all the time.... The side bags are usually empty , although they seem to collect sweaters.

The top case carries spare gloves, a FJR hat to hide helmet hair, a can of Plexus with a microfiber towel rubberbanded to it, and pouch to hold my wallet. ( I hate sitting on it)

My jacket holds my weapon and phone. Under the seat are the tools and tire repair stuff.

So that's it for day trips... For trips lasting more than a day....I'll pack as needed. I tend to find myself buying stuff while out...so not filling the cases with stuff I likely won't even

need works best for me.

I have brought home on just one occasion, a case of wine a 12 pack of beer, two racks of ribs, 6 large potatos , and a cheesecake........so it's nice to have the room available....

KM