When do you consider it to be to hot to ride?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I've found interesting is riding out west. Last May I crossed the western deserts/mountains and typically had temps in the 30 to 40's at my sunrise departures. By mid afternoon I'd be in the triple digits. I control my comfort with layering. As the temp rises a layer comes off, I end up with a tee shirst and a mesh jacket. Riding pants stay the same but insulated underwear might be put on and removed as the day goes by. But that's inconvenient and I don't mind the cold or hot on my legs as long as my torso is comfortable. I've read and i've found it to be true that normal skin temp is about 93 degrees. Once the air temp exceeds that then it's time to start blocking airflow by extending the windshield. Re hydration can't be over emphasized. For just local riding I don't like hot temps and avoid them , but if I'm on a cross country trip the enjoyment of travelling to new places overcomes my discomfort.

Bill

We'll see how it goes next week - I'm headed to Colorado for Beemerdons' event and it looks like its 100+ all the way across Nevada and Utah.

If I see this, I know it's too hot to ride. Otherwise, where are we goin???

sculpture8.jpg

I'm like most, I prefer to be comfortable. But as I do a daily commute on the FJR, which included a trip home to let the puppy out to wiz, there are times when putting the helmet and jacket on four times a day get's me thinking. NC required a helmet, but now that I'm in KS it not the law. But, I've seen too much to not be protected.

The only enjoyment I get out of the heat is when it's been around 100 for a week or so (like now), then it dips to 91 and you find yourself thinking how cool it feels at that temp
no.gif

I'm like most, I prefer to be comfortable. But as I do a daily commute on the FJR, which included a trip home to let the puppy out to wiz, there are times when putting the helmet and jacket on four times a day get's me thinking. NC required a helmet, but now that I'm in KS it not the law. But, I've seen too much to not be protected.
The only enjoyment I get out of the heat is when it's been around 100 for a week or so (like now), then it dips to 91 and you find yourself thinking how cool it feels at that temp
no.gif
I never even think about riding without a helmet, riding jacket, and gloves. I have, on a very rare occasion, taken a short ride in street shoes and whatever long pants I happened to be wearing, but even that happens less than once a year.

I pull my bike in the shop (air conditioned) an hour or so before I leave. So I don't have to dally around out in the heat in full gear.

Tomorrow I drive the cage, high afternoon rain chance and I have the car loaded.

A work buddy's folks lost everything in a fire last night. By sheer luck his dad is a size I may never see again, so I cleaned out a closet.

Rode to Quebec City from New Jersey (550 Miles one way) on July 4th and back on Sunday, July 7th. Temp's in mid 90's and humid. I ride with a full face helmet and protective Tourmaster jacket and it was pretty brutal. I prefer riding March - June and then mid - Sept. to Late Nov. P.S. I hate hot weather and love cool/cold weather.

You need to move to Las Vegas. When I got off work at 4:30 AM the temp was still 97 degrees. I must say that my windshield stays down most of the time.

I must say that my windshield stays down most of the time.
10-4. I took an old stock windshield and cut the top 8" or so off it. That's my summer shield - works nice on hot days, not so good on wet ones. I have a Cee Bailey +3 +4 for the cold weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say that my windshield stays down most of the time.
10-4. I took an old stock windshield and cut the top 8" or so off it. That's my summer shield - works nice on hot days, not so good on wet ones. I have a Cee Bailey +3 +4 for the cold weather.
That helps. After some experimenting, I use an old Concours shield cut down.

I generally don't care so much what the temperature is --- it's the humidity that usually gets me to park the bike. If the temperature is in the upper 80s or higher and the humidity is in the upper 80s or higher.... I park it.

It's over 90 today in Spokane, WA.

I won't even consider riding when this hot if I need to go to work and not be drenched in sweat or if my destination matters. I hate hot weather just as much as really cold weather but at least if it's cold I can bundle up. With AGATT I can't do a damn thing except mitigation measures through hydration and a cooling vest.

Kinda sucks in the middle of summer.

It's over 90 today in Spokane, WA.

I won't even consider riding when this hot if I need to go to work and not be drenched in sweat or if my destination matters. I hate hot weather just as much as really cold weather but at least if it's cold I can bundle up. With AGATT I can't do a damn thing except mitigation measures through hydration and a cooling vest.

Kinda sucks in the middle of summer.

It's not the riding so much that gets to me, it's when I have to stop. I've ridden on I-40 in NC many times in temps over 95 without too much trouble. If traffic comes to a stop (which it does occasionally in rush hour) then you start to bake.

I remember years and years ago hearing about someone trying to design a more "open-air" type motorcycle helmet - more along the lines of a beefed-up bicycle helmet. Not sure whatever came of that. The guys working on it may not have survived the road tests.

HeatWave.jpg

As I began to head home from work yesterday this coupled with New York City bumper to bumper traffic, boots, gloves, my cortex jacket with armor (the mesh panels don't do much good unless your moving at a good clip).
uhoh.gif

Left palm desert at 3pm on thursday towards san diego. 113 when i left. Not bad. It was a dry heat. The problem was the smoke from the wildfires. Burns your eyes.