When you joined The Forum...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can pretty much guarantee that this topic was started for me in particular. Because I have been given 2 warning from Moderators for 2 Separate topics I have started. One on Looking at buying another FJR and one for asking about if anyone would be interested into looking into doing a Group by for Russell Seats for our fine machines. I am a Previous FJR owner (Bought me a new 07AE) but only owned for a short time. Probably less than 6 months and put maybe 3k miles on it. I asked some silly questions in that thread like did it have a auto retractable windshield. To be honest I should have know but I honestly didn't remember. I have owned numerous bikes since then. This 08AE I just bought is my 4th bike this year and I have probably owned 6 or 8 others in the past 6 years. I just like riding different stuff. My question was legit but was moved to NEPRT and I was given a warning. So today I posted in the Group Buy section a Topic asking if anyone was interested in possibly doing a Russell Group Buy. Well yes it is my fault I didn't read the forum rules. I belong to many other Forums which I participate in daily and have never had any issues. And to be honest I thought this is the forum that I would ask about such a thing. But it does state in the Group Buy Forum rules that my question should have been asked in the Parts forum. My bad and I wrote to the admin and apologized for posting in the wrong forum and he sent me another Warning.

I have learned a ton on internet forums and there are tons of questions that are going to be asked over and over. When I look at a forum "I" chose the topics I want to read and respond to. If I see a thread that has been asked a million times I pass it over. No big deal I don't participate in it. If I see a thread I feel I can learn about something I want to know I read and participate. I have 225 Posts here on the FJR Forum. I know that is not a ton but I think people should also know I am legit and it's not my first day on a forum. I'm not here trying to piss people off or ruffle feathers. I come to the FJR forum to learn more about my new to me 08AE. I can almost guarantee just by posting my opinion here I will either get another Warning or they will ban me. But I will say that from what I remember about this forum from back in 07 the mood on this board has changed. And to be honest from what I have seen it hasn't been for the better. I still plan on being a member here and participating when I can. But I won't be offering my opinions and posting up questions like I have been. I guess it's time to go back to lurker status since it seems like I must be a pain for the Mods. This is by far the best FJRForum out their and I hope I still get to participate but if not thanks for all the info. And the FJR is still one amazing Machine.. Even the AE....
I guess I'm not the only one who missed that day in 5th grade when they taught about paragraph breaks. They can be your friend I hear.
rolleyes.gif
This is a bug in the software I encountered - the way I fixed it, was to reedit the post and magically all my para's re-appeared
Come on now there is at least one paragraph break in there I am almost positive. I just forgot to double space. lol... Was never know as being a student. That's why I joined the Fire Department... Like others have stated there is no other forum that has more knowledge on the FJR than this one. So no matter what kind of clowns are here you either Lurk and deal with it or Post up stupid questions and deal with it. Guess I have chosen the later. Time to start a "Which is the best oil thread."

I came over from the (other) forum after I started wondering where the hell a lot of the regular posters went.
smile.png
Finally discovered this place was where they went. Great place to be. I have gained a lot of knowledge and have had lots of help from fellow members. I'm not big on organized functions, but have been to 6 or 7 FJR meets now and love them. If you haven't gone to one, do it. Absolute blast. Now if I can just find an answer for the heat spiking temp gauge....................

GP

I've only got on forums before this one to get a question answered and then disappeared. I was told when I bought my 07 early last year that this was a great forum and so I joined up. This forum is different and it is mostly positively different for me. I have been frustrated a few times with the search ability inside, but it really does work just fine searching from the outside through google as suggested in the notes. I've never got chastised for any posts but have been afraid of asking a question at times after seeing the intense criticism. I've even had my feelings hurt a couple times when I took things personally that probably weren't even directed at me. Still I wonder if the admins and the zealous post police "scolders?" are a part of what keeps this forum a bit higher knowledge level and thus more dependable.

On the other hand, I am an IT guy who likes to read the instructions and thinks about how users respond to documentation. I know in my real world experience if I was to have the level of expectation of my users that the forum has for new posters, I'd probably not still have my job because I don't only work with engineers. Real people just don't read instructions or remember the rules.

Anyway, I love this forum and have stayed with it for several reasons. First, even though I've ridden most of my life, I had never learned all that much about my bikes and this forum has changed what I wear, how I ride, what I add to my bikes, and what mechanical work I am willing to do. I've got lots of learning still to do. Second, I love reading trip reports with great pics by people like Georgia Roller, and great stories from folks like Gary. I even get brave enough to post my trip reports and it makes me take more pictures thinking of what the forum might want to see in a report. Third, the advice on roads is invaluable. Lastly, you guys are the weirdest goofballs. It's like having a bunch of weird uncles that you are sort of ashamed of, but you always look forward to seeing them to hear what they are going to say. Sometimes it's like watching SouthPark - I'm offended but can't turn it off cause I'm laughing.

God bless all you idiots, admins, scolders, and newbies. I've appreciated it all.

Paul

I gotta admit tho- even with EOM just a few hrs down the road from me, I have no desire whatsoever to attend.
Really? why? EOM is great fun. I've only missed 3 meets since the '03's were on our shores... one reason is I have an '04. #2 is a hurricane stopped me & 3rd reason... I had a broke bike in '09.

I originally came to this board as the mass exodus from Ez Board was happening. I wasn't banned... nor ever had my pee-pee slapped over there. It was just kind of a natural move.

I became fast friends with Travis, the originator of this board @ '05 EOM & then his girl, Maureen on another day. We've done quite a bit of riding together before his move to the west coast. Still miss them lots.

This board is a huge wealth of knowledge & still to this day, I visit FAQ & technical questions & do a lot of my own maintenance to my bike because of this forum. I don't have a problem with ever posting... nor am I tentative when asking a question here. I know how to search & I normally look for information before asking a question.

As far as those dogpile Fridays... or whatever day it is... never ever understood the purpose in it.

Edited to add: I've encountered quite a few Ricardo Cabeza's on the 2 FJR forums that I frequent. I guess that it's just the nature of the beast. I make note of the A-hole & move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I joined shortly after purchasing my 07. I mostly lurk. What I've learned, unlike other forums, is never post a question and anything goes with sheep.

This is why I joined the forum:

I post what I think is helpful news about garmin ram mount "ball" available that should fit motorola automobile phone cradles.

I post it in the parts and accessories section. Within seconds, it gets moved to .... "classifieds". I notice it, I expect a moderator had a good reason for it, but I add a response explaining that I am not actually selling these items. Just in case someone assumed that since I posted it in the classifieds I was selling it.
What happens next. The moderator TEARS me apart as if I insulted his mother.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/154628-ram-mount-for-motorola-razr-maxx-and-probably-others/

This is why most people think this forum is tough place to be a member, to ask a question, or to just try to contribute.

The rationale the moderator used is faulty. There are tons of items talked about in the parts and accessories section that are "for sale" also.

By the way I expect another 10 day ban for this. or maybe they'll boot me for good this time. I am so unreasonable.

Your skin is lookin' kind'a thin there, man. I don't see any sort of belligerence in the Admin's reply.

You asked why it was moved. He told you.

Yeah, stuff for sale goes into the classifieds For Sale section on this forum. Who cares?

BTW - If you think you need to be "banned" for a while, you know you can do it yourself, right? ;)

I came here when I got the '04 in 2005 or 2006(?). Bought a Super Tenere 2 years ago and thought I would be gone, but can't miss the drama here, so occasionally stop back. Good peeps and wish I could make more of the get-togethers. Even if MEM says my Tenere is "Fuggly."

tonguesmiley.gif

Wow, since joining this mottley crue (yeah - a spelling pun) the kids grew up, divorce, new relationship, a couple of house-move pains in the ass later . . .

And life is better than ever!

You asked why it was moved. He told you

BTW - If you think you need to be "banned" for a while, you know you can do it yourself, right? ;)
I see your point. But I didn't ask anything I simply made sure no one was going to start PMing me for these items.

I did make a joke about tires, like I do in 25% of my posts.

I think that the explanation was over the top with excessive quoting and don't forget the "post correctly next time" comment.

It smacked of a lecture from an AR high school dean to me.

But I agree my skin was thin at the time. I'll move on and forget about it.

I joined a few years ago when I purchased my FJR. Spent a lot of time going through old posts and learned a lot about my bike and what to expect. While I no longer have the bike I still visit the forum, I enjoy being the proverbial fly on the wall listening to (reading) the back and forth banter. Also pays to stay current with a bike that may end up in my garage again.

I joined earlier this year & have been learning a lot about the FJR. I've been lurking & this is actually my first post. See you all around.

I research everything I can before posting a question. For the most part I haven't posted a question on a forum for a long time(many years).

I figure if it is a product that has been out for any length of time some one has already asked and answered the same question I am curious about and a little google fu goes a long ways vs being a spoon fed leach.

Basically joined just to join, If I have questions I'll research, If I see a question I know the answer to I'll reply.

I find it a bit depressing that so many of you are so reluctant to post a question. Of course I find it depressing that so many of the posted questions were just answered the day before...

I'm not reluctant, just self sufficient.

Why should I post a question and wait for answers. When I can use some google fu and get my answer right away. As a byproduct, you may also learn other information as well.

I have questions about asking a question.Can someone help me?
flirt.gif
I have questions about your question regarding asking questions. Are you questioning the preferred method of asking a question? Are you questioning the usefulness of asking questions? Are you questioning the intelligence of asking questions that have already been asked?

I'm sorry, what was your question again?
uhoh.gif

Honestly I feel a little badly about how I have treated some of the "Noobs" with their questions now that I have seen some of it from a different perspective. In some cases I wish I had shown more kindness and sensitivity. In others I wish I had been even meaner and nastier.

As for you dcarver, I cannot imagine having an answer for any question you might ask but I am always here and willing to offer whatever help I can give. You certainly deserve it.
smile.png

Today is the one year anniversary of me joining this forum.

My last ride was a '56 Panhead chopper, I loved that bike. The last ride on her was around 1989. Been away from motorcycling until 10 months ago when I bought my '13 FJR.

At first, when thinking of possibly getting a bike, I just lurked around, trying to get a feel for the place. A lot of ribbing, sarcasm, and occasional flaming of a n00b, but also a whole bunch of info and people willing to help. Yes, I search like crazy to find any answer I may have first to avoid getting piled on, but if I did get piled on, I'm not taking it personally. To be honest, no one has done anything to me on here to make me feel anything but welcome. I like it here, even though I'll never be a mega-poster, or a mechanical/electrical wizard, I still feel comfortable enough to post helpful info...if I know it.

Finally, to all those here that make this place happen, and all those that contribute to it's success...thank you!

Original EZ board member...answered Warchilds call to tell Yamaha why we wanted the FJR here...cuz for 2 years, it wasnt . I was an engineer at TI working nights and a 35 year motorbike rider...had CB 750's and was between braces and college for the kids...then my heart got mad and attacked me in some broads daylight...she took everything including me health became a " Waiter " as soon as i could walk again...went 100% disabled in 05 and took Zig to Maine...luckily i'm too formally educated to figure out how to post pics, thus remain an enema...ahh..enigma...i had the pleasure of being reamed by Warchild hisself for posting a race result in a post title early on ( go Vale ) ...before rules were formalized...i've only met a couple of forum members but i hope this changes with a move to Seattle next year ! i do miss some folks, but tons of us get to know these marvelous peoples through these pages past and present and we have some fantastic writing and photo talent right here ! One thing about the FJR...she seem to appeal as much to the cerebral side and doesnt suffer fools lightly....i'm just lucky !!!