Which synthetic coolant do you prefer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renink

Reaction score
I am going to be flushing all of the liquids in my bike this weekend and have been looking around for a specific one that was reccomended on a FJR1300 topic about changing liquids. I saw a similar one on Amazon but delivery date would have been sometime mid October.

I'm not exactly sure which type of coolant is needed and would like to go to a local Pep Boys or Autozone and grab the right one. I would prefer premixed but I have no problem diluting it myself.

2007 FJR1300

Last edited by a moderator:
Gen I and Gen II drink the green stuff. Buy pre-mix or mix it yourself. There is no benefit to anything else but the standard old green coolant and perhaps harm from some of the other OAT coolants.

High quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines.

1:1 ratio of antifreeze and distilled water

I use Prestone Extended Life antifreeze -- the universal juice in my '04. Silicate, phosphate, borate, and nitrite free.

Protects aluminum and all other engine metals.

I recently bought a gallon of this stuff (antifreeze sans water) for $9 at Rural King.

High quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines.
1:1 ratio of antifreeze and distilled water

I use Prestone Extended Life antifreeze -- the universal juice in my '04. Silicate, phosphate, borate, and nitrite free.

Protects aluminum and all other engine metals.
^^^ What he said ^^^

Gen III FSM says: Recommended antifreeze High-quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines Mixing ratio 1:1 (antifreeze:water)

Does the Gen lll also use the "green" coolant?
I just changed the coolant on my Gen III and it was blue, fairly sure it had not been changed since new.

I like Castrol products and their 'oil finder' page for the FJR recommended 'Radicool' (which also happens to be blue).

Not sure if it is available in the States, I'm UK based.

Coolant/antifreeze color means almost nothing. The only thing green means is that its not orange or blue. Any manufacturer can use any color they desire for any formulation.

Coolant/antifreeze color means almost nothing. The only thing green means is that its not orange or blue. Any manufacturer can use any color they desire for any formulation.
Which is what that guy in post #9 was saying, it's about the technical requirement, not the color.