whining about valve adj.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
I don't care how many times I have checked and or adjusted valves on these things, it's still a lot of pain in the ass fiddling around. I was lucky on this one cause it didn't need any shim changes on it's first check. The next one has around 40k on it and has not been checked at all .   I would gladly trade most of the techie shit for hydraulic valve actuators. The technology is there so why not use it and make service easier for the mechanic and cheaper for the consumer .  whining over for now so flame on.

My, oh my, Ray!  Does your vagina hurt?

:finger:
I figured you would be along soon. In your case I just consider the source. :fuck: 😁

I still think Mama Yama should do this. Enough folks whined and got a six speed trans that wasn't really needed so why can't we have hydraulic valves or maybe canceling signals for a safety upgrade. :punk:

After several bikes with hydraulic valves, I can say I had more problems with them (leaking down or whatever that causes them to drain fluid at rest and then clatter like shit when first starting up and before they refill) than I have had with the FJR. Also, at certain RPMs they would start floating.

I agree with Ray. My Harley has hydraulics and has NEVER floated valves, even at 3,000, as inThree THOUSAND rpm, Sir Bounce! 😂

I think the problem lies with the bean counters. There isn't enough sales volume to make it profitable. Look at all the overhead cam automotive engines that don't need valve adjustment.  The technology is there but the dollars aren't 

Hmmm...I have 150,000 miles split between the four bikes I have owned so far, and have yet to check a single valve...I guess that is abnormal?

Hmmm...I have 150,000 miles split between the four bikes I have owned so far, and have yet to check a single valve...I guess that is abnormal?
Perhaps not abnormal but but not the greatest maintenance schedule. Valve issues on modern bikes are rare but when it happens it's usually catastrophic. 

40K and no valve check? Hang the bastard!

How's that new shock?
The new shock looks real good in the box. Rick's bike should be done today and you are next. Need to get more steroids shot in the knees and wrist so I can pick up the pace a bit. Supposed to snow tomorrow so I can stay in the shop.

I don't care how many times I have checked and or adjusted valves on these things, it's still a lot of pain in the ass fiddling around. I was lucky on this one cause it didn't need any shim changes on it's first check. The next one has around 40k on it and has not been checked at all .   I would gladly trade most of the techie shit for hydraulic valve actuators. The technology is there so why not use it and make service easier for the mechanic and cheaper for the consumer .  whining over for now so flame on.
Or, go with shim OVER bucket, so you don't need to remove the cams to change shims. Not like we are racing these things.

I agree with Ray. My Harley has hydraulics and has NEVER floated valves, even at 3,000, as inThree THOUSAND rpm, Sir Bounce! 😂
Only 3k? Well, it was a Hardly. Perhaps those are the motors best chosen for 'em. Y'know, low RPM and all low end Tq. Like tractors. I know you set that up as a straw man given (not only) the FJR has a red line 3x that. Look at designs around these higher rates vs response times of hydraulic lifters and let me know if the design is possible (I honestly don't know) in those environments.

Skin'in opossums t'ain't fun either, butt it's sumpin ya just gotta do. Tell you wut my friend, go check the valves on a high mileage Concours 14, 'n change a few shims, them come back 'n talk (Dirty) to us. 🤣 You'll really appreciate the FJR's well thought out design then. :thumbsupsmileyanim: