White/Green Mountain ride 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Confirming that I'm still on the "penciled in" list. Trying to confirm availability, and will book a room then. But really like the itinerary, and missed a ride earlier this year that I wanted to go on. Thanks for putting this together, guys.

Barry

FJRed,

I'm pretty sure that Chris (TheAxeman) is definitely out.

He has been having some eye problems and will not undergo his surgery until later in the summer.

I'll leave the VT ride planning to you and snikr.

Hi, A new guy checking in. I've made my reservations at Fireside Inn for Friday to Sunday night, can't wait! I will be 2-up and looking to meet some more of the gang. I am new to the forum so feel free to let me know what the correct way to let you know we will be joining in is. Thanks to FredW and sniker, Pete

Hi, A new guy checking in. I've made my reservations at Fireside Inn for Friday to Sunday night, can't wait! I will be 2-up and looking to meet some more of the gang. I am new to the forum so feel free to let me know what the correct way to let you know we will be joining in is. Thanks to FredW and sniker, Pete
You just did!

Welcome, and I'm sure you will have a great time. Look forward to meeting you and your passenger.

Yahooo!

More feeejer peeps to meet. Welcome aboard Pete and where are you coming from? We will be 2up also.

See ya there! :)

Dave & Ann

Hi, Thanks for the welcome! We are in Amsterdam, N.Y. about 30 miles north/west of Albany. I'm looking at the map to decide on a route to the Fireside Inn as well as a differnt way home. My s/o Carole and I are staying over Sunday night and plan to get a nice ride , both on the way to and from. What time (about) are you guys checking in? See you there, Pete

Hi, Thanks for the welcome! We are in Amsterdam, N.Y. about 30 miles north/west of Albany. I'm looking at the map to decide on a route to the Fireside Inn as well as a differnt way home. My s/o Carole and I are staying over Sunday night and plan to get a nice ride , both on the way to and from. What time (about) are you guys checking in? See you there, Pete
Late Friday, the wife doesn't get out of work till 5:00. We will be leaving after the ride on Sunday and heading home. Wify has to work Monday too. She doesn't have any extra time since we are going to EOM.

See ya there.

Guys, I'm in.

Just made my booking at the Fireside Inn and they were still honoring the group rate. I'll arrive sometime Friday. Thinking of leaving Boston's North Shore before traffic really picks up to avoid some of that. May take something other than that direct route getting up there.

If anyone else wants to join up for the ride heading up, I'm happy to rendezvous somewhere, though I'd really like to leave before traffic gets Friday ugly.

I've not done any significant long rides, nor any long twisty days, so I'm certainly open to coaching from any of you. How long will we ride on Saturday and Sunday?

I'll be flying solo, but looking forward to meeting you all.

Barry

Great news Barry!

As I'm sure you know, the traffic headed north picks up pretty early on Friday afternoons. Damn Massholes!! :p

But if you stay off the highways you should be fine.

We'll be riding pretty much all day, both days, but will be making regular rest stops, photo ops, lunch, etc. and riding only on secondary roads, so we won't cover all that many miles. I'm sure you will do just fine.

I'm not exactly sure what time I'll be heading up there, definitely early enough to wander over to the 7 Barrel for a little pick-me-up. ;)

I will have the routes posted up in the next day or two.

OK....my route has been run and is off to Fred W so he can work his "magic" making up a map and GPS whatever. I have two ends to my route. One is shorter in case we run into time problems. But I figure we'll do the long one....much more fun!

And for those of you who might be traveling RT 4 in VT, watch yourselves around Bridgewater Corners and Woodstock. The LEO's like to watch those areas close! :ph34r: I've made at least 4 trips on that road during my vacation (which I'm on right now) and have found them all 4 times in one place or both!! See you the 15th. :yahoo:

Tom

Great news Barry!
As I'm sure you know, the traffic headed north picks up pretty early on Friday afternoons. Damn Massholes!! :p
Yeh mees one of them! :D

But i was a mountain man for 25 years. We got tired of all that white stuff hanging around and left. ;)

OK folks, the routes are set! Oh geeze, this is going to be a great 2 days of riding!!

Day 1 - NH Whites:

2009_NH_Whites.jpg

The route hasn't changed much from my original plans.

We'll start out from the Fireside Inn, kickstands up on Saturday at 9AM !! (so, if you are coming in Friday night, be sure to get down for their great breakfast early ) heading north up Rte 10 through Hanover, NH and through the campus of Dartmouth University. It's kind'a pretty early on a summer weekend. Then, after a little dirt road shortcut, we'll cut across Rte 25A to Rte 118 through the western mountains to Lincoln. We'll go across the Kankamagus Pass and then up through Bear Notch to Carter Notch. Lunch is planned at Fabyan's Station in Bretton Woods.

From there we'll ride up along Rt 302 to Twin Mountain, there jump on Rte 3 south, down through Franconia Notch State Park and all the way back down to Lincoln. There we'll take Rte 175 south along the Pemigewasset river to Plymouth. From Plymouth, we head west on Rt 25 to Rumney, and there hook up with the lower section of Rte 118 on down to Canaan. Rte 4 west for a while and then a short sprint on the Interstate I89 back to the Fireside Inn.

Stats:

200 miles, 5:29 estimated riding time (plus stops)

Day 2 - VT Greens:

2009_VT_Greens.jpg

This looks to be a great day planned out by snikr.

After a hearty breakfast, we'll (again) head out at 9AM. We'll take a short run up I89 to Rte 4 west (nice sweepers) to Woodstock, get on Rte 106 to Downers, Rte 131 to Ludlow, and jump on Rt 100 down to Londonderry (VT). Then ride Rt 11 over to Manchester (VT). We'll stop there and stock up on sammiches and drinks at Zoey's Deli for eating later, so try to leave a little room in one of your cases. From there we'll go Rt 30 to Rte 315, to Rt 153 in Rupert. There we'll take a SSS (super secret snikr) road back to rte 30. Along the way well be stopping at the Lake St Catherine State Park and having those sammiches in the picnic area overlooking the lake. After lunch we head up Rt 30 to Rt 73 over into Brandon.

At that point we'll stop and make a decision as to who wants to take the long way home, and who wants to take the "shortcut", shown in pink in the above picture. If some folks that have longer rides home want to take the shortcut we can potentially break into two groups. We'll play it by ear...

The longer way goes up rt 7 to Middlebury to Rte 116, which hooks up with the Vermont mini-dragon, Rt 17, over the App Gap. This comes out to Rt 100 south to Rochester. The short cut runs straight across Rt 73 from Bradon to Rochester. Both routes continue to Rt 12 over Bethel mountain to Rt 14 all the way back to West Lebanon NH and the hotel.

Stats:

Long route 250 miles, estimated 6:22 riding time (plus stops)

Short route 200 miles, estimated 5:13 riding time (plus stops)

GPS Files:

All three GPS routes (NH Whites, VT Greens (Long) and (Short)) are in both of these files, just pick the format that you can use. (Right click, save as, etc., etc):

2009 NH Whites & Greens.gdb (in Garmin DataBase Ver 3 format)

2009 NH Whites & Greens.gpx (in GPS eXchange format)

If anyone wants me to save and post these files in some other format for their particular GPS, just let me know.

Everybody be sure to bring lots of rain gear (so we won't need it) and cameras (because you will need them)

I'm really looking forward to this ride. Can't wait!! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really, really looking forward to this!

I know that I won't need this, but downloaded the routes to my Nuvi just for fun, for the first time. (Not as intuitive as one would think, but worked really well once done. Great little tutorial here.)

I've never ridden more than three hours, so I'm figuring that these are going to be physically challenging days for me. Don't want to be a party pooper, but I'm likely to opt for the short Sunday route, given that I've got two hours back home from the Fireside. I just don't want to get over-tired and make the kind of mistakes we're prone to when that happens. (Insert Clint Eastwood voice-over here: "A man's got to know his limitations.")

Thanks for all the work on this, gents. Looking forward to seeing some new geography and meeting some new folks.

Barry

We'll see how it goes, Barry. You may be surprised how easy it is to ride all day when you take enough breaks. But if there are folks that want to take the short route on Sunday we can split up and I will lead that subgroup. I have an hour an a half to get home from the Fireside myself.

Hoping the weather is better than it was today while doing some "scouting"...

I am really, really looking forward to this!
I know that I won't need this, but downloaded the routes to my Nuvi just for fun, for the first time. (Not as intuitive as one would think, but worked really well once done. Great little tutorial here.)

I've never ridden more than three hours, so I'm figuring that these are going to be physically challenging days for me. Don't want to be a party pooper, but I'm likely to opt for the short Sunday route, given that I've got two hours back home from the Fireside. I just don't want to get over-tired and make the kind of mistakes we're prone to when that happens. (Insert Clint Eastwood voice-over here: "A man's got to know his limitations.")

Thanks for all the work on this, gents. Looking forward to seeing some new geography and meeting some new folks.

Barry
You can ride along with us. We will be heading in your direction.

After chatting with Fred W a bit it looks like I'll be using the short route anyway. Of course, if we do good on time the long route is always possible. But we will be sure to go easy on you Barry. I just want everyone to have a good ride and a safe fun time.

Tom

I'm keen to hang in there. Just want to save a little in the tank for the ride home, and not go so hard that it takes the fun out of things. You probably have to work up to these long days, I'm guessing. But really stoked to be going along.

Fred, If you're keeping 118, between 25 and 112, in the back of your mind, you can disabuse yourself of that notion. As of 8/1, it's a POS - in worse shape than 2 months ago. Has not been touched by a road crew. D

Fred, If you're keeping 118, between 25 and 112, in the back of your mind, you can disabuse yourself of that notion. As of 8/1, it's a POS - in worse shape than 2 monanths ago. Has not been touched by a road crew. D
Yeah, I know. We rode it Friday (Alan, George and I), and it's still in really bad shape.

Too bad they didn't get up that far with the stimulus paving. They did a good job in the Dorchester section. But that bumpy part does the best job of connecting our other route sections together, so I guess we'll just suck it up and take it slow over the top till we get to Lost River. I figure if the 3 of us could get over it (at the speed limit) in the wet, we'll be OK in the dry. I intentionally put it in the beginning of the route (headed east) so we are still fresh and maybe everyone will forget that section at the end of the day! ;)

All a part of the New Hampshire motorcycling experience...

Hey Guys,

This morning on my way to my usual Sunday beach ride I met a fellow FJR rider Taz1300. It just so happens as we were talking about our FJR's that we live in the same Town in Long Island NY!!!! He told me about this ride and I joined the site once I got home. After reading about it I am happy to say that I am in!!!!

Ive never been to new hampshire or vermont and I cant wait!! Looking forward to some great scenic riding and meeting some great people!!

I have a tom tom xl330 gps and will try to download the maps you guys provided tonight.

Cant wait!!

Michael

:yahoo: