Who served in the military

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
US Navy (90-96 Active) FC2, Tomahawk and Harpoon missile tech - USS Mobile Bay and USS Chancellorsville, then the UT Army Nat Guard operating ROWPU's (Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Unit- the bigger 3,000 GPH ones)... Then onto the US Navy Reserve for the last couple of years. Dumbest mistake of my life was not staying for my 20. Either active or reserve....

US Army: '66-`68. Draftee, Vietnam. Mostly carried Infantry MOS (11B), but wound up in the Combat Engineers in Water Supply (think Pauly Shore's movie "In the Army Now" but in the jungle). In the field the whole time.

Unlike many I encounter on various social websites, my military service was no big life event for me, other than I could not wait to be done with it. I had it easy in 'Nam, only getting in some tense situations a few times.

Dumbest mistake of my life was not staying for my 20. Either active or reserve....
Not for me. I was glad to get out. When I'd visited the detailer in DC (about 3-4 months before my enlistment was up) he told me in no uncertain terms that I would be headed back out to sea for another 3 years before anything else (I had done the first 3 1/2 years of the 6 on shore). I had managed to get myself married and have a kid along the way, so that didn't sound like a great plan.

They'd done such a good job of training me I was able to land a job in Medical Imaging Electronics even before the DD214 was signed, paying twice what I'd have made after re-up, which still wasn't all that much. I had myself a chuckle the other day when I pulled down my Social Security Statement that shows how much I made back in those days. We were poor, but happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
USAF 92-00
E-4 / 2E251 - Computer, Network, Switching and Cryptographic Systems

Lackland AFB TX - Basic
Keesler AFB MS - Tech Training
Beale AFB CA - 9th Comm
Kelly AFB (MRSOC) TX - 93rd Intel
PSAB (Saudi Arabia) - 4416th Intel

You, sir, are a dinosaur.

bleh.gif

Unlike many I encounter on various social websites, my military service was no big life event for me, other than I could not wait to be done with it.
I was yakking with an Army Resrve E6 at work the other day about this. I told him it was "nice" he gets to put "combat veteran" across the back window of his pickup. At least nowadays somebody gives a crap. I got out in '84, between the hatred of the Nam days and the patriotism of the Desert Storm days. In my time nobody gave a hoot except old men in bars. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing for our service people to be recognized but IMHO it's gone way too far. This young E6 lad feels like I owe him something, like he's entitled to my respect, bordering on kissing his ass, for doing the job he volunteered to do. He even feels like he deserves special parking spaces and the only reason he has that decal is so other people will bow down to him.

I told him to go F his pompous self. And in a not so respectful way.

Unlike many I encounter on various social websites, my military service was no big life event for me, other than I could not wait to be done with it.
I was yakking with an Army Resrve E6 at work the other day about this. I told him it was "nice" he gets to put "combat veteran" across the back window of his pickup. At least nowadays somebody gives a crap. I got out in '84, between the hatred of the Nam days and the patriotism of the Desert Storm days. In my time nobody gave a hoot except old men in bars. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing for our service people to be recognized but IMHO it's gone way too far. This young E6 lad feels like I owe him something, like he's entitled to my respect, bordering on kissing his ass, for doing the job he volunteered to do. He even feels like he deserves special parking spaces and the only reason he has that decal is so other people will bow down to him.

Good for you, rbentnail. He sounds like a snot. :)

Good for you, rbentnail. He sounds like a snot. :)
I wanted soooo bad to stomp his ass right then and there. Guess I'm that old man in the bar now only this go-round there was just embarrassment for being associated with this shit stain.

U.S.A.F. '78-'82

27250- Air Traffic Controller (tower)

Lackland AFB, San Antonio, T.X.

Griffiss AFB, Rome, N.Y.

Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan

Joined U.S. Army 13 Jan 1984 (Yes, on Friday the 13th! What a way to start a career)

Ft Jackson, SC

Ft Gordon, GA

Ft Huachuca, AZ

Germany (Jan 1987 - April 1997)

- 3rd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment (I Troop, and S2) 1987 - 1992

- First Gulf War

- 166th Aviation Regiment 1992-1994

- Conventional Forces, Europe, Treaty Compliance 1994

- International Affairs, HQ USAEUR 1994-1997

7/6th Cavalry, TX 1997-2000

medically retired

Gave up medical retirement joined KYNG August 2007

Recalled active duty July 2009

Ft Huachuca 2009 -2010

1204th ASB 2010-2012

- Iraq 2011

- Kuwait 2012

- Retired Sep 2012

Military Contractor, Afghanistan Oct 2012 - Jan 2014

Last edited by a moderator:
Navy OCS Aug 1974 Newport RI,

15 Years at sea in all kinds of ships,

Main Propulsion Asst USS OUELLET FF-1077 Western Pacific 1976

Communications Officer USS AUSTIN LPD-4 Northern Europe 1977 - Med 1978

Weapons Officer USS JOSEPH STRAUSS DDG-16 WESTPAC/IO 1981 & 1982

Operations Officer USS WORDEN CG-18 WESTPAC/IO/Persian Gulf/Australia/NORPAC KAL007 Recovery 1983

Chief of Staff for Communications CRUDESGRU 5 Staff in USS KITTYHAWK WESTPAC/IO/MED 1987
Chief of Staff for Communications CRUDESGRU 5 Staff in USS NIMITZ MED/SOLANT/Rio/San Diego 1987

Executive Officer USS ENGLAND CG22 IO/PERSIAN GULF 1988

Then I drove Desk in DC for my last 5 years as Deputy Program Manager for the Vertical Launch Anti Submarine Rocket (VLA) which is still in use today on all of our Cruisers and Destroyers

Retired 1 Sep 1994.

Wouldn't trade my service for anything, glad to have done it, gladder that it is done.

Never saw a shot fired in anger, did see a lot of Russians ready to shoot in the Northern Pacific in the mid 80's when we were running them out of money. My hat is off to all the men and women who have spent their time and spilled their blood in the middle East over the past decade.

US Army 1984-2004.

1/9th Infantry Bn, Korea

2/502nd Infantry Bn, Ft Campbell

209th MI Bn, DLI

3rd Infantry Division, Germany

1st Infantry Division & 1st Armor Division, Bosnia

3/2 Stryker Bde, Ft Lewis

309th MI Bn, Ft Huachuca

and a couple of other places.

Latest posts