Who served in the military

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I see it, all members of the military have a job to do and we all did (and still do) it well. I appreciate and respect what the forces on the ground and on the seas do, and all kidding aside, I know they appreciate and respect what I as an AF member did in serving my country. We all needed each other at times to get things done and I can't say thanks enough.
Screwball, please don't take too seriously the light hearted ribbing that goes on between the branches. That's been going on since well.......... The Revolutionary Way. :rolleyes: You need to Chill a little. :)

Here's a good story for you. Before joining the Navy, I actually tried to join the Marines Corps but I kept failing the physical. For the life of me, I just couldn't find a way to stick my head in that fucking Jar!! :lol:
I hear you loud and clear majicmaker, I also tried to join the Marine Corps before finally joining the US Army. You know what disqualified me from the Marines way back in 1968? My Mother and Father were married when I was born, the Marine Recruiter said that the Corps only wanted a bunch of Son of a Bitches! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!
And your Mom and Dad weren't first cousins. Yep! No way you were getting in!! Uuuuuuuu Raaaaaaaa!! :lol:
Right you are majicmaker, that Jarhead DI also mentioned that fact!

And another perfectly good thread spirals down the toilet into the septic of jes' sayin' and nuff said! :p

This a Fantastic Thread! But, Name Rank and Serial Numbers can be augmented with all sorts of stories of that once in a life time Honey in some exotic port that made you think you'd died and when to heaven! Or the Funnest thing that happened to you while you were in. Or the worst! We all have those stories! Let's hear them. Has anyone heard of a beer drinking game called "Smile"? :) Best Game Ever!!!!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
As I see it, all members of the military have a job to do and we all did (and still do) it well. I appreciate and respect what the forces on the ground and on the seas do, and all kidding aside, I know they appreciate and respect what I as an AF member did in serving my country. We all needed each other at times to get things done and I can't say thanks enough.
Screwball, please don't take too seriously the light hearted ribbing that goes on between the branches. That's been going on since well.......... The Revolutionary Way. :rolleyes: You need to Chill a little. :)

Here's a good story for you. Before joining the Navy, I actually tried to join the Marines Corps but I kept failing the physical. For the life of me, I just couldn't find a way to stick my head in that fucking Jar!! :lol:
I understand the inter-service ribbing that goes on and I don't take it seriously. After 12 years and working along side Army, Navy and Marine's on deployments I learned along time ago it is all in fun. Sorry if I came off that way it isn't the way I intended it. Just wanted to point out that at times we all needed the help of the others and to express my appreciation no matter what branch you served in.

I've been in the Air National Guard since 2001. Combat Weather Forecaster and now a medical equipment technician. Been all over the place. Will be in another 10 years at least.

I understand the inter-service ribbing that goes on and I don't take it seriously. After 12 years and working along side Army, Navy and Marine's on deployments I learned along time ago it is all in fun. Sorry if I came off that way it isn't the way I intended it. Just wanted to point out that at times we all needed the help of the others and to express my appreciation no matter what branch you served in.
No Worries Mate! It's all good! :) We all did our part. We were all spokes in the big wheel. Without all the spokes banggin' on all cylinders, it wasn't going to work! ;)

Sgt, USMC Active '81-85, Reserve '85-87, 2111 Infantry Weapons Repairman. San Diego for Boot Camp, then Maryland, (in Jan/Feb), for training at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, then 13 months in Okinawa followed by MCAS El Toro in sunny SoCal.

Open squad bay barracks for most of my tour. We only got rooms during my last year in. Mostly motor transport units except for some time with MAG-11 at El Toro.

I remember a bunch of cheeky pilots during a multi-service training exercise at Kadina AFB in Okinawa. They had been practicing close air support runs that day. Lots of tall tales and BS about how low they went... then a USMC A1E Sky Raider landed... with green wing edges from the foilage. And green prop edges/tips. That Capt was a Vietnam Vet with a lot of hours. All the kids got real quiet when he climbed down. :lol:

I also remember when an Air Force unit came to El Toro to go qualify with their rifles. They flew in and brought crates of M16s to the Armory. They were all scheduled to bus down to Camp Pendleton for rifle range activities the next day. We had to delay them a day because we'd never seen brand new M16s in the crate before. Not M16A1s, but 1960s issue M16s that had never been modified, updated or even un-crated from original delivery. The barrels were all the wrong twist for the current ammo and those boys sucked at the range, in part due to that. We had to clean all the packing grease off and inspect every rifle, (about 500), before they were allowed to go to the range. This was '84 or early '85. Hell, the Marines changed to A2s in '85 and the M9 shortly after. Some third world country probably got a smokin' deal on brand new low round count M16s in the early '90s. <_<

Sgt, USMC Active '81-85, Reserve '85-87, 2111 Infantry Weapons Repairman. San Diego for Boot Camp, then Maryland, (in Jan/Feb), for training at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, then 13 months in Okinawa followed by MCAS El Toro in sunny SoCal.

Open squad bay barracks for most of my tour. We only got rooms during my last year in. Mostly motor transport units except for some time with MAG-11 at El Toro.

I remember a bunch of cheeky pilots during a multi-service training exercise at Kadina AFB in Okinawa. They had been practicing close air support runs that day. Lots of tall tales and BS about how low they went... then a USMC A1E Sky Raider landed... with green wing edges from the foilage. And green prop edges/tips. That Capt was a Vietnam Vet with a lot of hours. All the kids got real quiet when he climbed down. :lol:

I also remember when an Air Force unit came to El Toro to go qualify with their rifles. They flew in and brought crates of M16s to the Armory. They were all scheduled to bus down to Camp Pendleton for rifle range activities the next day. We had to delay them a day because we'd never seen brand new M16s in the crate before. Not M16A1s, but 1960s issue M16s that had never been modified, updated or even un-crated from original delivery. The barrels were all the wrong twist for the current ammo and those boys sucked at the range, in part due to that. We had to clean all the packing grease off and inspect every rifle, (about 500), before they were allowed to go to the range. This was '84 or early '85. Hell, the Marines changed to A2s in '85 and the M9 shortly after. Some third world country probably got a smokin' deal on brand new low round count M16s in the early '90s. <_<
Cool Story OC, That's what I'm talking about. There are tons of stories that need to be heard. It'll be like free therapy! Chime in Boys and Girls! This is going to be Fun! :clapping:

When I was an electromechanical team member working maintenance on the minuteman ICBM there was an incident where the crew in the launch control facility were getting a launch in progress indication on one of the sites. They sent the armed response team out to the site and told them to park their peacekeeper armored vehicle in the top of the launcher closure (110 ton reinforced concrete door on rails that got jerked off the top of the silo at 30 mph directly prior to missile launch) and to leave the truck in neutral with the parking brake off. The idea was if it actually tried to launch the truck would drop into the silo and jam the missile.

They sent us out to get into that site ASAP and make safe the missile and figure out what was wrong... When we pulled up to the site the peacekeeper was parked right where it was supposed to be.. And the SPs (security police) were sitting in the truck listening to tunes on the radio.

Walked over and asked them if they had any idea WTF they were doing and to get the F out of the F'ing truck before it F'ing fell into the F'ing hole and they F'ing died and I had to write a F'ing report about how their dumb F'ing asses F'ing got killed cause they were F'ing stupid.

Turned out the signals were false alarms... Nothing to see here... Move along... Move along...

I guess I should finish my "squeel like a pig story"

We were only a couple of days into boot camp and hadn't had a shower since recieving.

The platoons first shower consists of running thru real quick..LOL. If you've

been there you know what I mean.

I made the mistake of talking without permission. I don't know how the DI's heard

me..but next thing we here is...CLEAR THE HEAD.

As I am running out to the squadbay..the DI grabs me by the ear and says.."Wait here sweetheart"

He then commences to tell the rest of the platoon that they don't get showers because "Pvt. Davis

wants to talk before requesting permission". The DI has the rest of the platoon scream ...

"THANK YOU PRIVATE DAVIS" ...several times.

Well..the DI thinks since I am such a pig...I should crawl up and down the squadbay floor (naked

and wet) squeeling like a pig while the rest of the platoon screams.."THANK YOU PRIVATE DAVIS"

That was real fun..and the rest of the platoon loved me for the experience. LOL..

Fortunately..I wasn't the only one to get special treatment. They kind of left me alone after

that and proceeded to "help" the others.

I learned my lesson early so the rest of boot camp went fairly well. I guess.. :lol:

Funny F'ing story Chivvalry! :lol: Those F'ing SP's must have wet their F'ing Pants! :clapping:

Laughed my Ass off on yours Monkin, until I flashed back to Warren Beatty getting told to Squeel like a Pig!! Then I stopped laughing! :unsure:

OH..Oh..

I got another one..the wet pants remidended me.

Private Smith was having a hard time asking for permission to use the head.

DI's want it stated a specific way when requesting ANYTHING. First you have

to request permission to even speak..etc..

Anyhow..Private Smith couldn't get it rigft..so he wasn't allowed to use the

"bathroom" for several hours. He finally just pissed his pants. The DI

looked down at his trousers...laughed..then said.."Now we know what those boot bands are for"

Private Smith also took a cookie from the chow hall. The DI made him carry it in his hand all day.

He was even excused from PT to stand and watch the rest of us PT while he held his cookie.

At the end of the day..Private Smith got to eat the cookie with shaving cream on top. Then

got to wash it down with listerine while the rest of the platoon PT'ed to a sweaty mess before

hitting the rack.

Those DI's were hilarious.

During a SALT inspection we had a Russian General touring our training facility (simulated launch facility with fake missile and everything...). Our Colonel dog and pony'd us thru how they dispatched us out to the field with a couple of security guards, our truck and equipment and two or three maintenance techs (me and my team). We opened up the site, showed off our mad skillz, etc... After the demonstration the Russian asked what rank the commissioned officer was that normally led the team. Our Colonel pointed to me (a buck Sgt at the time) and said that guy right there is the NCO in charge. The Russian looked at me... looked at the rest of my team... paused for a minute... looked at the Colonel and said.... (Imagine a thick Russkie accent)

"Wait a minute... wait a minute... You are telling me that you send these... children... out into the countryside with a truck, tools, and weapons to fix your missiles?"

Our Colonel responded, "Why yes, yes, of course. They do a wonderful job for us."

The Russian says... "...and they come back?"

OH..Oh..

I got another one..the wet pants remidended me.

Private Smith was having a hard time asking for permission to use the head.

DI's want it stated a specific way when requesting ANYTHING. First you have

to request permission to even speak..etc..

Anyhow..Private Smith couldn't get it rigft..so he wasn't allowed to use the

"bathroom" for several hours. He finally just pissed his pants. The DI

looked down at his trousers...laughed..then said.."Now we know what those boot bands are for"

Private Smith also took a cookie from the chow hall. The DI made him carry it in his hand all day.

He was even excused from PT to stand and watch the rest of us PT while he held his cookie.

At the end of the day..Private Smith got to eat the cookie with shaving cream on top. Then

got to wash it down with listerine while the rest of the platoon PT'ed to a sweaty mess before

hitting the rack.

Those DI's were hilarious.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I've heard all sorts of stories like that about PI. Glad I choose the Navy. My Boot Camp was in Orlando, FL. We had a sister company training with us. 80 women sitting in all our classes for 9 weeks. By the time we got our first liberty. It was supposed to be all of us on a big bus to Disney World. We managed to talk the driver into stopping at a nearby hotel. Half of us jumped off the bus and checked into the hotel. We got laid in the middle of Boot Camp!!!! Nahh Nahh NahNah Nahh!!! :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: I've heard all sorts of stories like that about PI. Glad I choose the Navy. My Boot Camp was in Orlando, FL. We had a sister company training with us. 80 women sitting in all our classes for 9 weeks. By the time we got our first liberty. It was supposed to be all of us on a big bus to Disney World. We managed to talk the driver into stopping at a nearby hotel. Half of us jumped off the bus and checked into the hotel. We got laid in the middle of Boot Camp!!!! Nahh Nahh NahNah Nahh!!! :)
Some people get all the luck!

Took basic at Lackland in San Antonio, had a local kid in our barrick that arranged for us to meet up with some girls he knew on our one weekend pass we were allowed in basic training.

Some clown in the barracks came down with a case of measles. Bang! passes canceled, barracks quarantined. :blink:

Holy Shiet..

Now I know why the Navy is "Not just a job..its an adventure"

If you got laid at PI ..well..lets just say..it would probably have been very uncomfortable.

Loved the Russian story. I went in the Marines at 17. By the time I was 19 I was directing

artillery fire. It didn't seem a big deal at the time. But..yea..we were kids doing stuff

that in the civilian world would have been considered...um...uh..dangerous at best.

The only thing that kept me from quitting the Marines were the consequences...LOL

I entered boot camp on October 1st. We cut three training days so we could graduate from boot camp before Christmas. That meant we never, ever sat down for a single meal during boot camp. We simply entered, side stepped thru the chow line and kept side stepping all the way to the trash cans by the door. When you got to the trash cans, you were done eating. (and my wife asks why I eat so fast?!)

Get laid during boot camp? We got one base liberty Sunday and that was half a day! One guy got lucky because his GF's Dad drove the RV on base and let her screw his brains out on our base liberty Sunday, but he was the 'old man' of the platoon at 23!

I got to got to the bowling alley, but the beer wasn't served until after 6 pm, so couldn't even get a beer. Pretty damn boring. Bonus, got to spend Christmas in LAX waiting for a transfer flight. Tis ok, spent two other Christmas's in airports during my tour as well. O'Hare and Denver. Those chairs with arms are not good for sleeping prone. Fuckers!

Reminds me of one time at the machine gun range. We got delayed by the RSO due to potential fire hazard and he wanted to come 'talk' to us before we were allowed to use the range. I was bone tired, having been up for two days getting everything ready for a last minute machine gun range with the M2 HB .50 machine guns, (.30 cal M60S too.). (Motor transport unit, so every 5th truck has a ring mount and a .50) I fell asleep laying down with my head on a sand bag, my .45 with mag inserted across my chest with my hand on the grip. RSO shows up, (finally), and asks where is the armorer? They point me out and he walks over, then won't wake me up for fear of getting shot! Finally one of my troops kicks me in the foot and I get up to talk to the RSO and he's all concerned about fire hazards with our tracers. I say fine, if I can demonstrate proper procedure, can we use the range with tracers? He says what's "proper procedure?"

<sigh> F'ing zeros sometimes are a real pain. No offense to the O's in the peanut gallery.

So I light off a .50 Browning MG with 4 to 1 ball/tracer on the range into dry grass, deliberately starting a fire. He screams "FIRE!" and I turn to him and say, "yes, but it's not a problem, watch." Then shoot a circle around the fire, which throws up a HUGE amount of dirt onto the fire and puts it out. All of a sudden, he gets it. Yes, it's fire season. But we can put it out as fast as it starts. No problem. We got to use the range w/o pulling all of our tracers. I still had to man a M2 HB all day and put out fires the M60s started though. Those just don't have enough ummph to toss dirt that can put out fires. Not the worst way to spend a range day.

Not as fun as shooting limos on Okinawa, but that's another story. ;)

Memorables:

1. Bootcamp was at MCRD San Diego and our barracks had a clear view across Lindbergh Field...that played tricks on your mind during the first couple of weeks. ;)

2. We had a full blown "island hoppng" campaign at bootcamp one afternoon/evening...wearing our Alpha's (green USMC dress uniform)...we hit every sand pit on the base, doing push-ups, sit-ups, etc. due to one of the guys screwing up. Funtimes.

3. On Westpac '89, watching a Warrant Officer from our squadron get plastered at the Caligula Club in Pattaya Beach, Thailand. He donned a Rising Sun headband, and proceed to get on the bar and dance with the naked girls, among other things. It was interesting

4. Subic Bay, PI. Myself and a couple of friends from the shop hit Olangapo City hard, drinking jungle juice (MoJo?) and generally raising hell. We returned to the base for a nice spaghetti dinner, some slot machines, and more drinks. I mixed beer with a number of other drinks I shouldn't have. We hopped onto the bus to head to the other side of the bay where the Ranger was moored, but my stomach didn't make it past the first stop sign and sprayed down a couple of rows of seats in front of me. Being totally trashed, I didn't think anyone noticed. Arrived at the Ranger and got off the bus only to be greeted by an MP...who handed me a roll of paper towels and told me to get busy, lol.

5. Our squadron's powerplants shop all going out into Olangapo City to get USMC tattoos. The shop owner's 5 year old kid kept us stocked with beers, lol. Getting a tattoo was, er, forbidden, so we all had longer sleeves when getting back to the ship. ;)

6. Winning a Navy Relief drawing for one week of leave in Perth, Australia (the duration of Ranger's stay there). I made great use of that time...

7. Heavy weather during flight ops on Westpac '89. The Ranger's deck was pitching heavily while we were carrying out recovery operations. I was a plane captain and was waiting for my jet to return, carrying 6 tie down chains (2 for me and the nose gear of the plane and 2 each for the ship's company guys who'd tied down the main gear). My A-6 returned and was getting directed to park in the six pack area, beside a couple of H3 helos (the six pack is the area beside the island of the carrier, just under the big CV numbers you see on the side of the island). Parking in the six pack meant the nose of the aircraft is parked exactly even with the "foul line" of the landing area (cross it during landing ops, you can die). My buddy's A-6 followed and was parked beside mine. As soon as mine came to a stop, I set about securing the nose gear while the pilot and BN were going through their final checks before shutdown.

Unbeknowst to me (I was focused on securing the nose gear and not on the landing area 2 feet away), the CAGC was making his approach to the ship in his Tomcat. Something went awry. Next thing I know, I hear a massive noise and the chains were ripped from my hands, along with my jet (still running) as a shower of debris exploded everywhere. Turns out the CAGC's approach was well left of center, and instead of waving off, ended up catching the arresting cable at a severe angle (bascially pointed straight up the ship rather than in line with the angled landing area). The right wing of his Tomcat ripped through the folded tail booms of the two H3's parked to my left and then over my head into the airframe/radar rack of my A-6, shoving it into my buddy's A-6 sitting beside it. With that impact, the Tomcat's wing forced its extended wing flap into the "box" of the Tomcat causing a fire...as soon as the Tomcat stopped rolling, the pilot idled it and he and his RIO evacuated...without shutting the engines down. The fire team drowned the engines. No harm to anyone, just to the Tomcat, the helos and our A-6's, all of which were craned off in PI. Exciting flight deck video...

We also trapped a Tomcat in the net (failed tailhook) and watched a crippled S-3 Viking land with an imploded nose cone that heavily damaged both engines. Saw a few special aircraft doing flyby's too...

8. Being an irritant to the Marine Detachment stationed on the Ranger. We were "typical airwingers" as far as the MarDet guys were concerned...too lax. What drove them, and especially their Captain (their CO) mad was the fact that since we worked on the flight deck, we were required to wear colored jersies in combo with our camo pants and were forbidden to use boot polish. That was our uniform 99.99% of the time and we were always filthy and covered in jet fuel (A-6E's were leaky bastards). Not long into the cruise, those of us who worked the flightdeck constantly quickly wore out the knees in all of our camo pants and the ship's store had no replacements, so you can imagine how the MarDet guys felt as they walked around in razor-sharp creased, new looking unis. It finally got bad enough that the MarDet was forced to open up their stores of uniforms and give us some pants, lol.

So many stories, so little time, lol.

Memorables:

1. Bootcamp was at MCRD San Diego and our barracks had a clear view across Lindbergh Field...that played tricks on your mind during the first couple of weeks. ;)

2. We had a full blown "island hoppng" campaign at bootcamp one afternoon/evening...wearing our Alpha's (green USMC dress uniform)...we hit every sand pit on the base, doing push-ups, sit-ups, etc. due to one of the guys screwing up. Funtimes.

3. On Westpac '89, watching a Warrant Officer from our squadron get plastered at the Caligula Club in Pattaya Beach, Thailand. He donned a Rising Sun headband, and proceed to get on the bar and dance with the naked girls, among other things. It was interesting

4. Subic Bay, PI. Myself and a couple of friends from the shop hit Olangapo City hard, drinking jungle juice (MoJo?) and generally raising hell. We returned to the base for a nice spaghetti dinner, some slot machines, and more drinks. I mixed beer with a number of other drinks I shouldn't have. We hopped onto the bus to head to the other side of the bay where the Ranger was moored, but my stomach didn't make it past the first stop sign and sprayed down a couple of rows of seats in front of me. Being totally trashed, I didn't think anyone noticed. Arrived at the Ranger and got off the bus only to be greeted by an MP...who handed me a roll of paper towels and told me to get busy, lol.

5. Our squadron's powerplants shop all going out into Olangapo City to get USMC tattoos. The shop owner's 5 year old kid kept us stocked with beers, lol. Getting a tattoo was, er, forbidden, so we all had longer sleeves when getting back to the ship. ;)

6. Winning a Navy Relief drawing for one week of leave in Perth, Australia (the duration of Ranger's stay there). I made great use of that time...

7. Heavy weather during flight ops on Westpac '89. The Ranger's deck was pitching heavily while we were carrying out recovery operations. I was a plane captain and was waiting for my jet to return, carrying 6 tie down chains (2 for me and the nose gear of the plane and 2 each for the ship's company guys who'd tied down the main gear). My A-6 returned and was getting directed to park in the six pack area, beside a couple of H3 helos (the six pack is the area beside the island of the carrier, just under the big CV numbers you see on the side of the island). Parking in the six pack meant the nose of the aircraft is parked exactly even with the "foul line" of the landing area (cross it during landing ops, you can die). My buddy's A-6 followed and was parked beside mine. As soon as mine came to a stop, I set about securing the nose gear while the pilot and BN were going through their final checks before shutdown.

Unbeknowst to me (I was focused on securing the nose gear and not on the landing area 2 feet away), the CAGC was making his approach to the ship in his Tomcat. Something went awry. Next thing I know, I hear a massive noise and the chains were ripped from my hands, along with my jet (still running) as a shower of debris exploded everywhere. Turns out the CAGC's approach was well left of center, and instead of waving off, ended up catching the arresting cable at a severe angle (bascially pointed straight up the ship rather than in line with the angled landing area). The right wing of his Tomcat ripped through the folded tail booms of the two H3's parked to my left and then over my head into the airframe/radar rack of my A-6, shoving it into my buddy's A-6 sitting beside it. With that impact, the Tomcat's wing forced its extended wing flap into the "box" of the Tomcat causing a fire...as soon as the Tomcat stopped rolling, the pilot idled it and he and his RIO evacuated...without shutting the engines down. The fire team drowned the engines. No harm to anyone, just to the Tomcat, the helos and our A-6's, all of which were craned off in PI. Exciting flight deck video...

We also trapped a Tomcat in the net (failed tailhook) and watched a crippled S-3 Viking land with an imploded nose cone that heavily damaged both engines. Saw a few special aircraft doing flyby's too...

8. Being an irritant to the Marine Detachment stationed on the Ranger. We were "typical airwingers" as far as the MarDet guys were concerned...too lax. What drove them, and especially their Captain (their CO) mad was the fact that since we worked on the flight deck, we were required to wear colored jersies in combo with our camo pants and were forbidden to use boot polish. That was our uniform 99.99% of the time and we were always filthy and covered in jet fuel (A-6E's were leaky bastards). Not long into the cruise, those of us who worked the flightdeck constantly quickly wore out the knees in all of our camo pants and the ship's store had no replacements, so you can imagine how the MarDet guys felt as they walked around in razor-sharp creased, new looking unis. It finally got bad enough that the MarDet was forced to open up their stores of uniforms and give us some pants, lol.

So many stories, so little time, lol.
Burnspot, all those things brought back all those same memories for me. I was a green shirt. Airframes shop but, I got sent to the Flight Deck as a White Shirt Trouble Shooter for my squadron. I still have nightmares of all the Pucker Moments that resulted in me squirting little golden nuggets in my shorts! Ahhhhhhhh The Memories! :lol: I think you guys on the Ranger relieved the USS Midway when it was Decommed. Is that correct?