Who's dropped their FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheiiitt, Mines been over on it's side so many times, you'd think it was one of those feinting goats. Or maybe a possum. :angry2:

P9160249.jpg
Awww, ain't that cute. Looks all peaceful.

Musta needed a nap from all that hard riding. :)

This is how you properly drop an FJR. You find a soft spot and lay her down nice and easy. :yahoo:

P9160249.jpg
Question #1: How did you get that far out in the sand?

A close look at the pic shows a very good road until the bend at the big rock. Coming around the bend you couldn't tell that the pumice dust was almost a foot deep.

P9160248.jpg

Question #2: Why?

I was on my way to Taos after a week of riding in CO and was taking NM126, a short cut between Cuba and White Rock. Hey, it was a scenic route. :)

Question #3: How the hell did you get out?

A 40 minute wait brought me a touring couple from Oklahoma that lent a gentle assist on the bars and kept her from falling over on the right side. Once up it was an easy ride to firm ground and a continuation of the ride to the TOAS SW-FOG Rally.

Gravity sucks....but we need it.

I saw the thread with the whole roll cage thingy you can wrap your bike in to keep it pretty if it falls over. Kinda funny to me for a "sport-touring" bike....

Brings to mind a conversation I had with a Porche owner from Germany. He was laughing at a car that had one of those "bra" things on front. Appearently drivers in Germany consider the dings and scrapes from the road to be "battle scars" and are actually proud of them.

The scrapes on my left bag and engine case just ended up being a good conversation starter..

38K and no drops so far...

Now that I've said it, it's gonna happen for sure.
Yes, you are screwed. :dribble:
Yabbut Stew, don't you want to get past all that angst and mental torment, obsessing about not-dropping the beautiful bike? Think how much less inhibited and free spirited you will feel once that initial drop has past.

Plus, as you can see... all the other kids are doing it. :)

Just go out and the garage right now and kick that bitch right over. And don't be a wimp, let it sit there for more than the typical nano-second it takes for other droppers to "jump-to-it" (like Frankie Goes to Hollywood?) and pick it back up to the unnatural vertical state.

Stream of consciousness...

This just made me question why I always feel this compulsion to immediately right the fallen bike when inevitably gravity wins her stupid game of bike balancing.

It's like "Oh shit!" BOOM! and then instantly jump to the task of picking it up (in the appropriate back to the bike technique, possibly straining muscles and with no regard to what body parts are bleeding or no longer fully functional). Before... what?

We humans do some amazingly silly stuff sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to get the thing stood back up immediately because of battery acid. The first time I dropped a street bike was Dad's '84 GoldWing. Battery acid ran out and stained the hot exhaust pipe. Dad never forgave me. I don't know if acid will run out of our newer batteries or not but I have been conditioned.

Same kinda "road", different location last summer on the way to CFO Roger. Jason's GPS suggested a shorter route.

How the ferk was we to know it was an old logging trail in the middle of nowhere.. :blink:

Thankfully neither of us went down, but not for lack of trying. :lol:

Same kinda "road", different location last summer on the way to CFO Roger. Jason's GPS suggested a shorter route.

How the ferk was we to know it was an old logging trail in the middle of nowhere.. :blink:

Thankfully neither of us went down, but not for lack of trying. :lol:
That's the kinda fun shit that when it happens makes a trip an adventure, right? :yahoo:

I have had my '08 for 4.5 years and 31k miles. I dropped it for the first time last month, zero mph, on the side stand at a gas pump. The ground was not level, the tranny in neutral, it rolled forward and tipped over. I picked it up, put gas in it, and kept on going. I had very minor damage: scuffed bag, mirror, engine case, and slider.

Embarrassed to say that after 4 years of ownership I dropped the bike. Almost no damage. I have a set of highway pegs installed where sliders usually go. The right side highway peg and the corner of the right side case were both scratched, but the peg took the brunt of it.

My local dealer announced that they were doing a Ducati demo ride and yes there would be an 1199 Panigale available. When I got there the line was so long, I figured it was too nice a day to spend standing in line so I mounted up and followed a small SUV to the exit of the lot. Ms. SUV was making her right turn sooo slowly I was starting to wobble a bit. Just as she fully entered the roadway she stopped, why I don't know. No worries, my front wheel was just entering the street so turned right to squeeze past and cracked the throttle. Figures the bike would stall! I put my foot down to try and paddle to keep my momentum but there was nothing but air there with my front tire in the street and rear still up near side walk height. By the time my foot touched down it was a forgone conclusion that the bike was going down. I tried to ease it down as best I could.

I was so embarrassed as the Ducatista all turned to watch my pickup the bike. The woman in the SUV, completely oblivious, finally made up her mind and made a left. Had I not been so impatient I could have avoided the whole thing by waiting for Ms. SUV to make up her mind.

Stream of consciousness...

This just made me question why I always feel this compulsion to immediately right the fallen bike when inevitably gravity wins her stupid game of bike balancing.

It's like "Oh shit!" BOOM! and then instantly jump to the task of picking it up (in the appropriate back to the bike technique, possibly straining muscles and with no regard to what body parts are bleeding or no longer fully functional). Before... what?

We humans do some amazingly silly stuff sometimes.
Coolant could be leaking out from the reservoir tank?

Dropped every bike I have ever owned. Sometimes even accidentally. :blink:

Dropped the tank on my brand new AE back in 2006 while doing the first TBS. Got that done just in time to ride out west, go up Mt. Evans in CO, and have the whole bike go over while stopped at about 13000 feet. I think my bike had altitude sickness. Really wanged the fairing and case. Since then, I ground the sidestand stop a bit to give a bit more positive lean when parked.

I gave up on worrying about cosmetics a long time ago. When you look this bad, well.... :huh:

One poor soul dropped his one way, then picking it up dropped it over on the other side ... maybe I should say he was pretty brave for posting that story on the forum, but I still felt pretty sorry for the guy.
I havent't done that to my FJR, but did exactly that "double drop" on my 83 GS1100. Standing to one side of it as I dropped it off the centerstand, it started leaning away from me and there was no saving it. To avoid embarassment, I quickly ran around to lift it back up and proceeded to throw it too far up and over it went to the other side! Luckily I was camping on a grass field and no one was awake to see me being an idiot!