Windshield change

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TILAM

Reaction score
So I put a Cee Bailey's on but during the change I didn't see any foam mentioned here on the forum in the past. It wasn't on the old windshield or on the new one. I didn't notice ot stuck to the "W" or the frame. Maybe the dealer never installed it when the bike was new. (Gen II). Any thoughts or maybe a picture of it.

There should have been some foam stuck to the shield.

Some say it is not needed and in fact when I got my CeeBailey I ran it for a year without the foam.

I called them and they sent me one. I just bought a Cal SCi and went to the dealer to order another.

If you go that route it is called a windshield "seat"

hope this helps

I had a pre cut foam with the original, and Cee Baileys sent me one with the new windshield.

between the two, you should have two pre cut foams....

I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about. I went from stock to V-Stream a year ago and nuttin' on either of them. V-Stream works great as is, for me.

Foamless in Oregon

I just swapped the stock shield('06, foam stuck to the screen) for a Givi... no foam... I may order it from the dealer, or just make one up from some very thin Ensolite closed cell material I have here (or neoprene).

For now I'll run the Givi without... don't think there'll be any issues.

Griff

For the record, the foam is there to prevent the "whistle". While my stock shield had it, the Yammi accessory tall shield did not, therefore made my own from a sheet of rubber...real simple and a soft interface to boot!

I installed a Cee Bailey I bought off of E-Bay without the windshield seat and it whistled. I added the windshield seat and no whistle. I would order the windshield seat.

I just swapped the stock shield('06, foam stuck to the screen) for a Givi... no foam... I may order it from the dealer, or just make one up from some very thin Ensolite closed cell material I have here (or neoprene). For now I'll run the Givi without... don't think there'll be any issues.

Griff
How do you like the Givi screen, Griff? There hasn't been much talk about that one on this forum. It doesn't come in any tints, right? Have you tried any other screens. How does this compare?

I just added a V-Stream to my 07 FJR. I literally saw this same topic brought up a couple of weeks ago. I learned that through the forum I would have to buy a foam gasket to place on the V-Stream to install it. When I called the dealership, they told me that part had to ordered. Yamaha calls it a "windshield seat". The cost is $1.90 from my local dealership and it took about a week to arrive

When my V-Stream arrived, it didn't have any type of gasket. I've now installed the V-Stream and it works great!

FYI,

The foam for the CeeBailey is more than just a preventative for the whistle. I personally worked with CB to develop the foam "seat" or gasket. It also serves a mechanical function of spacing the inner surface of the wind screen away from the aluminum of the W-frame, and it provides better adhesion between the threaded rubber mounts and the shield surface.

Without the use of the rubber foam seat, you might (and I stress MIGHT) experience abrasion of the inner shield surface which could (and again I stress COULD) lead to stress cracks in the plastic shield itself. Of course, proper torque on the nylon mounting screws is equally important.

If you rarely run triple digits you will probably never experience any problem without the foam rubber seat. CB usually provides a foam seat to any previous purchasers of their screens who ask, and all new FJR screens ship with the foam gasket. They did a really nice job of designing the piece and the material is top-notch, just like their shields.

My strong advice, use the foam rubber seat. It's a bit unnerving to see a stress crack develop in your shield at 140 mph. Don't ask me how I know that!

:)

FYI,
The foam for the CeeBailey is more than just a preventative for the whistle. I personally worked with CB to develop the foam "seat" or gasket. It also serves a mechanical function of spacing the inner surface of the wind screen away from the aluminum of the W-frame, and it provides better adhesion between the threaded rubber mounts and the shield surface.

Without the use of the rubber foam seat, you might (and I stress MIGHT) experience abrasion of the inner shield surface which could (and again I stress COULD) lead to stress cracks in the plastic shield itself. Of course, proper torque on the nylon mounting screws is equally important.

If you rarely run triple digits you will probably never experience any problem without the foam rubber seat. CB usually provides a foam seat to any previous purchasers of their screens who ask, and all new FJR screens ship with the foam gasket. They did a really nice job of designing the piece and the material is top-notch, just like their shields.

My strong advice, use the foam rubber seat. It's a bit unnerving to see a stress crack develop in your shield at 140 mph. Don't ask me how I know that!

:)
Jeff, alluminum w ? I am sorry if I can`t take you seriousy. Mine seems to be plastic. In any case, I don`t know- why I am I still here... :angry: