Windshield Loaner Program

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barabus

Reaction score
I have tried this once before. At WFO 6 I took a CalSCi Large for anyone to demo for the day. No one took me up on it and I agree it was too inconvient. I would like to start a used/old sceen repository so each and every rider doesn't have to buy every screen to see which fits. I have a couple ideas on the format. Maybe a loan deal were the borrower pays for postage? And a database with users comments?

Here is how I am proposing it would work. People who have unused screens would PM me to donate them as loaners. They would be marked as a loan screen with the special FJR forum loaner emblem scratch on with a special marker that you have laying around. I would enter your info into the loaner database. You would ship at the borrower's cost the screen for a loan. Then that screen would get shipped on to the next. The borrower would be obligated to 1) Not keep it, 2) ship it upon request and upon payment of shipping charges to the next borrower and3) Enter the requested info into the data base. What sez the forum?

In any event, PM me with the screen you have to donate and I will design some program to help FJR riders with this universal problem. Note, I am not asking for screens to be shipped to me. I just want to start a database with your info and your loaner screens. Please include 1) your name, forum name, phone number and email, and 2) Screen manufacture, model, dimensions, fits Gen1 or Gen2, and condition.

Offical List of Screens available:

#1 Cal Sci Large GenII Huntington Beach,CA Barabus 12/20/07 Small crack on left from ZSD Available for Loan

#2 Rifle Tuning Blocks (no screen- just blocks) GenII Huntington Beach,CA Barabus 12/20/07 Available for Loan

#3 Rifle Medium height Gen I, Alta Loma CA, TurboDave 12/20/07, availabe for loan, it is well used and has a Laminar Lip to attch if desired

#4 Vstream GenII, Renegade, local rides only out of Trenton Ohio (will not ship) see post#12

#5 CalSci Large GenII, Renegade, local rides only out of Trenton Ohio (will not ship) see post#12

#6 Cee Bailies +4+2 with flip, GenII, Renegade, local rides only out of Trenton Ohio (will not ship) see post#12

#7 AHAMAY Tall windshield available to try in Central Alberta, GenI, Bearly Flying, see post #17

#8 AHAMAY with a Laminar Lip that can be tried in central Oregon, GenI, FJRay, Central Oregon, see post 20

#9 Stock GenI, Yamaha Touring Screen for GenI for loan always, Ngarider, Northern Georgia, see post 22

#10 I might also loan out my CeeBaileys concave sport shield for Gen I, Ngarider, Northern Georgia, see post 22

#11 Stock shield in the Portland/Vancouver WA area, Gen II, LDRider, see post 23

#12 Cee Bailey's Flip Light Gray +2 height +4 width,in the Portland/Vancouver WA area, Gen II, LDRider, see post 23

#13 V-Stream (currently on bike) in the Portland/Vancouver WA area, Gen II, LDRider, see post 23.

#14 V-Stream in Sumner, WA area, Gen II, Harald, see post 10

Please list your contribution below to be added to the list!

EDITTED- no shipping- only try locally. Members did not like the idea of packaging and shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried this once before. At WFO 6 I took a CalSCi Large for anyone to demo for the day. No one took me up on it and I agree it was too inconvient. I would like to start a used/old sceen repository so each and every rider doesn't have to buy every screen to see which fits. I have a couple ideas on the format. Maybe a loan deal were the borrower pays for postage? And a database with users comments?
Here is how I am proposing it would work. People who have unused screens would PM me to donate them as loaners. They would be marked as a loan screen with the special FJR forum loaner emblem scratch on with a special marker that you have laying around. I would enter your info into the loaner database. You would ship at the borrower's cost the screen for a loan. Then that screen would get shipped on to the next. The borrower would be obligated to 1) Not keep it, 2) ship it upon request and upon payment of shipping charges to the next borrower and 3) Enter the requested info into the data base. What sez the forum?

In any event, PM me with the screen you have to donate and I will design some program to help FJR riders with this universal problem. Note, I am not asking for screens to be shipped to me. I just want to start a database with your info and your loaner screens. Please include 1) your name, forum name, phone number and email, and 2) Screen manufacture, model, dimensions, fits Gen1 or Gen2, and condition.

List of Screens, example

#1 Cal Sci Large GenII Huntington Beach,CA Barabus 12/20/07 Available for Loan

#2 Rifle Tuning Blocks (no screen- just blocks) GenII Huntington Beach,CA Barabus 12/20/07 Available for Loan
Add me to the listing:

#3 Rifle Medium height Gen I, Alta Loma CA, TurboDave 12/20/07, availabe for loan, it is well used and has a Laminar Lip to attch if desired.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also purchased quite a few windshields as well, I offered them up to anyone needing them at the last WFO since I live nearby. The only problem with the program, which I heartily endorse, is there really many different windshields out there. I am on my second C Baileys and like it better than the first. Cal Sci I think has 4 different sizes and C Baileys has a bunch of different heights and widths all of which can have the aero flip at the top.

Noble effort but it will be tough to get it really close.

This is a great idea. can you guys post a pic of the shield on the bike to let us see it first.
Okay, stop smoking crack. Maybe I can come over to your house or your work and install it too? Get real, it will be a huge effort just to get this program limping along. Pictures are a pie in the sky thought.

This is a great idea. can you guys post a pic of the shield on the bike to let us see it first.
Okay, stop smoking crack. Maybe I can come over to your house or your work and install it too? Get real, it will be a huge effort just to get this program limping along. Pictures are a pie in the sky thought.
Actually, if ya can't do pictures (and I don't see why that would be so hard) it'd a good idea to give the "official" name for the shield in question, or at least state the dimensions of the shields you have for loan/trade/whatever. A description like: "Rifle Medium Height" would be OK if that were the name of one of their shields, but it's not. So in lieu of an official name, maybe the dimension from the center screw hole to the top and widest dimension would be helpful for people to decide if the shield in question might be what they're looking for.

BTW - I agree that this is a noble effort and could save forum folk a lot of coin when searching for windshield nirvana.

Actually, if ya can't do pictures (and I don't see why that would be so hard) it'd a good idea to give the "official" name for the shield in question, or at least state the dimensions of the shields you have for loan/trade/whatever. A description like: "Rifle Medium Height" would be OK if that were the name of one of their shields, but it's not. So in lieu of an official name, maybe the dimension from the center screw hole to the top and widest dimension would be helpful for people to decide if the shield in question might be what they're looking for.

BTW - I agree that this is a noble effort and could save forum folk a lot of coin when searching for windshield nirvana.

See first post "Cal Sci Large", Rifle Medium"!! People can look up both the pictures and the dimensions on the web.

Another option would be to have a list, similar to the FJR assistance list, that would list location and what model of windshield you have to loan. For instance, I have a Vstream shield that I'd be glad to install on a local riders bike for a trial. I'm just not willing to give it up or pay to ship it around the country.

I have the following available for demo (depends on which is on the bike at the time)

All are for Gen II bikes:

1: VStream (currently mounted)

IMG_0002.JPG

2: Cal-Sci Large? This one is the toughest to put on, the holes don't line up all that well.

IMG_0096.JPG

3: Cee Bailies +4+2 with flip, this is my current fav, but I put the VStream on to get a little wider bubble for the winter.

IMG_0023.JPG

I'd rather not ship them all over the country so anyone within reasonable riding distance can demo any of these for the cost of a cup of coffee.

I feel the concept is sound. How about this twist?

Invite shield vendors to send demo shields to regional events. Us owners with spares and extras could pitch in too. You get to borrow the shield for a day. If you damage it, you own it.

Just a thought.

Adding shield options to the FJR Assistance Directory works too. I normally have two shields on hand at any given time. I think Grumpy has about nine or ten. He's a bit "indecisive".

:)

I have the following available for demo (depends on which is on the bike at the time)

IMG_0002.JPG

2: Cal-Sci Large? This one is the toughest to put on, the holes don't line up all that well.

IMG_0096.JPG

3: Cee Bailies +4+2 with flip, this is my current fav, but I put the VStream on to get a little wider bubble for the winter.

IMG_0023.JPG

I'd rather not ship them all over the country so anyone within reasonable riding distance can demo any of these for the cost of a cup of coffee.
Got you down on the list. Thanks for your contribution.

I feel the concept is sound. How about this twist?
Invite shield vendors to send demo shields to regional events. Us owners with spares and extras could pitch in too. You get to borrow the shield for a day. If you damage it, you own it.

Just a thought.

Adding shield options to the FJR Assistance Directory works too. I normally have two shields on hand at any given time. I think Grumpy has about nine or ten. He's a bit "indecisive".

:)

I tried that concept for the EOM05 and the one I asked, wanted it to be a purchase Cal SCi, so I passed and bought a cb 4+4 ice blue.

then a v stream, cut the stock down and now have the cb 4+2 or 3 flip in ice blue.

I agree local rides seem to the best idea imo.

However maybe vendors might agree to demos never know, i guess it would be worth asking.

This sounds pretty good to me. Only the cost of shipping to see how it works and have a data base of pros and cons. Great idea. I hope this is still going....

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

This is really a great opportunity for guy's like me who are looking for a new windshield and don't want to have to buy 5 or 6 to finally get the right one. I live in the Cleveland area, and obviously it's to cold to come down know, but if your still game in the spring for a windshield test, I'm all for it. I Googled Trenton and it looks to be about 4 hrs on the slab for me, so in the spring I'll PM you. Dave

Latest posts