Windshield Removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perfect Pics!

Thanks very much. I just installed a new CalSci XXL and couldn't have done it without these instructions. Well, maybe I could have but I have a tendency to break things when I resort to brute force because I don't know the release points.

Thanks Again.

OK, no one warned me the new windshield would get me a Performance Award!

Installed the new shield from V-Stream late yesterday afternoon and took it out for a test ride. The shield is (obviously) noticeably physically larger which will take some getting used to. At the lowest position, it has really changed the airflow - air that used to hit me square in the chest has now moved up to the helmet but not in a bad way. The flow has been noticeably softened/rounded so it's not blasting at you directly.

The biggest improvement has been at highway speeds and full up. The stock shield caused a lot of turbulence and helmet wobble. When I turned my head for a shoulder check, the wind snapped my neck back. Not pleasant.

With the new shield, there is *no* turbulence/head wobble and *no* neck snapping when turning my head. It's also a *lot* quieter...*Too* quiet, almost. I was riding along, thinking to myself, "Wow! This new shield is really quiet at (looks down to GPS for speed) *90mph*!" :hyper:

No way I could be at 90mph with the old shield and not know it - the noise was incredible. But this new shield shapes the air differently - while the shield isn't quiet per se, it has changed the nature of the noise. It's less booming/bassy and hard on the ears. It's a much more pleasant "noise".

And if I scoot down to be behind the shield, then it literally becomes quiet. There is a pocket there that I swear I could light a match in at highway speeds. I'm going out to test it now with audio sources - MP3 player, GPS, cel phone - to see how much of a difference that makes.

For those wondering, I'm 6'3" and sit fairly tall in the saddle.

Insight please on the new screen. I have the same problems you experienced at highway speeds, and I only 5' 9". Did you use the larger Yamaha offering (aapr 4 inches taller and 1.5 inches wider) ?

Rickster, thanks for taking the time to help us all out. It is appreciated!!!!!

:D :clapping: :D :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome write-up and detailed pics. Helped me today when I realized the 'rattling' noise I heard while riding was the loose screws barely holding my screen in place.

Thanks Rickster!

When those black plastic windshield srews get chewed up by the phillips screwdriver- :dribble:

Take a heat gun or a flame and heat up the screwdriver nice and hot. :devilsmiley:

Then, press in a new phillips pattern into the screw that matches your screwdriver! :rolleyes:

OK, no one warned me the new windshield would get me a Performance Award!
Installed the new shield from V-Stream late yesterday afternoon and took it out for a test ride. The shield is (obviously) noticeably physically larger which will take some getting used to. At the lowest position, it has really changed the airflow - air that used to hit me square in the chest has now moved up to the helmet but not in a bad way. The flow has been noticeably softened/rounded so it's not blasting at you directly.

The biggest improvement has been at highway speeds and full up. The stock shield caused a lot of turbulence and helmet wobble. When I turned my head for a shoulder check, the wind snapped my neck back. Not pleasant.

With the new shield, there is *no* turbulence/head wobble and *no* neck snapping when turning my head. It's also a *lot* quieter...*Too* quiet, almost. I was riding along, thinking to myself, "Wow! This new shield is really quiet at (looks down to GPS for speed) *90mph*!" :hyper:

No way I could be at 90mph with the old shield and not know it - the noise was incredible. But this new shield shapes the air differently - while the shield isn't quiet per se, it has changed the nature of the noise. It's less booming/bassy and hard on the ears. It's a much more pleasant "noise".

And if I scoot down to be behind the shield, then it literally becomes quiet. There is a pocket there that I swear I could light a match in at highway speeds. I'm going out to test it now with audio sources - MP3 player, GPS, cel phone - to see how much of a difference that makes.

For those wondering, I'm 6'3" and sit fairly tall in the saddle.
Well, you sold me. Hate the wind slapping when I turn my head for a lane check, etc. If this winny will fix that. Im all in!!

I could envision how the jagged edge of a broken windshiled could slice open something very important if it had been screwed solidly to the bike.
Well, the windshield on my GS1100GL was held on pretty solidly with those steel National Cycle brackets. I basically went straight through it and it shattered. I had a Subaru turn left in front of me and I went over the the Subaru. Messed up my knees too, for the same reason, but not permanent. I flew/slid/rolled a grand total of 171ft, which is about 57 yards. Wheee! Thank ${DEITY} I was ATGATT even 20 years ago.

I also probably had internal bruising too, but Florida doctors are too stupid to be able to detect/treat anything less obvious than a badly broken bone, and even then they have a problem figuring out which bone it is. (for example: I broke my ankle and they told me I had a broken collarbone. Truth.)

I don't see it as a problem. I also don't think the stock FJR screws are a problem either, they're a heck of a lot less fragile than the plastic/cheese screws holding on the shield on my V-Strom.

Yes. Good job Rickster and excellent timing. Have my yamaha touring screen coming in next couple of days. Would have definately had some trouble getting the W bracket off w/o your pics.

BTW what is a "yoeman" ? :blink:

BTW what is a "yoeman" ? :blink:
Main Entry: yeo·man

Pronunciation: \ˈyō-mən\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English yoman, yeman

Date: 14th century

1 a: an attendant or officer in a royal or noble household b: a person attending or assisting another : retainer c: yeoman of the guard d: a naval petty officer who performs clerical duties

2 a: a person who owns and cultivates a small farm ; specifically : one belonging to a class of English freeholders below the gentry b: a person of the social rank of yeoman

3: one that performs great and loyal service <did a yeoman's job in seeing the program through>

Thanks for the pics, Rickster! :clapping:

Thanks for the pics, it made the change real easy !

I just put on the CEE Bailey -3 dark smoke .. looks killer , should be better in the HOT LANTA summer .

Thanks for the EXCELLENT Article Rickster!! What a GREAT HELP!!!!

Put a new V-Stream on this aft after reading your notes... Invaluable for those like me that have no patience for fixing things, and dim garage lighting that is only worsened by being 50ish... I actually ended up near dusk plugging in the "Artificial Sun" Halogen Work Light to <attempt> to see what the Hey I was doing with my fingertips...

Note to others... Don't try to "Help yourself out" by raising the shield - It actually makes life worse, as the shield shield moves upward AND rearward on the way up!! It was worth a try, but the wrong move though!

Scott

Wow, what great info. It's now perfectly clear how the windshield is attached. Without help its just not intuitive how these plastic parts are assembled. I've been looking at the W and had no clue how it was attached. Your pictures explained every thing. I got a medium CaliSci screen coming and can't wait to give it a test ride. For what its worth, my test trip with stock 09 screen revealed, that it is great in full down position for hot weather riding. Smooth airstream hits me mid chest. However at medium to full heighth, lots of noise and full up a vacuum with buffeting on the helmet. I'll post my Cali Sci results. Thanks so much for the pictures.

Bill

Thanks, found a couple of those little screws broken (top two on the left side viewed from the riding position) this morning during my pre-ride. Only dealer I stopped at didn't have them in stock so off to the net to source them. At a lower price I'm sure.

Dennis

Thanks for the pics and instructions. Nothing even remotely helpful in the service manual of course.

The touring windshield is mounted.... Touring operations will soon commence...

Charles R

Your old thread is still helping us out. Switched out my stock for a Cee Bailey +4 x +2 this morning. Thanks!