Windshield switch stopped working

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdog

Reaction score
Never had a bike with an electric winshield, dont even know where to begin. It was fine a few days ago, started up this morning, hit the switch to put it up a little and ..... nothing.

Is there a fuse to check? Is the motor prone to failure? Im not very exp with electrical fixes. Just looking for a reference point to start.

Its the 06AE if that makes any difference.

thanks in advance for any input guys.

(of course this would freaking happen when im next in line for the free winshield try out)

Remove the rubber seal just under the plastic where the arms poke through.....
Yep, mine came loose and bunched up preventing the windshield from going up. I was going to try and remove the nose and reglue it till I read on here several people have tried that and it just comes loose again. Since I had the shield off, I just pulled the gasket over the arms that raise/lower the shield and left it lay inside the fairing out of the way. That way I still have it in case someone figures out a 'cure'.

Remove the rubber seal just under the plastic where the arms poke through.....

Thanks so much man, you were dead on. Things like this are what make this forum such a help to a guy like me. That rubber seal had fallen so far down in there on both sides that i couldnt even see it without a flashlight, so i never would have found this without considerable effort being spent looking into wiring first.

Is there anyone whos tried to replace the rubber with anything? Like, what comes to mind is some sort of fuzzy trim (lol get your mind out of the gutter) glued on the outside. That may not be the answer, but i mean it seems like in the rain a considerable amount of water would be pushed down into those channels. Have people been riding without that rubber seal for a while? I just dont want to damage my bike.

Yeah, mine got stuck in Moab, UT and I couldn't see it in the brite sun as being the problem. This forum saved the day and I pulled that sucker and the squeaks and binding are gone. Haven't felt the need to replace it.

<!--quoteo(post=664310:date=Oct 31 2009, 09:09 AM:name=Sagebrush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sagebrush @ Oct 31 2009, 09:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=664310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remove the rubber seal just under the plastic where the arms poke through.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, mine came loose and bunched up preventing the windshield from going up. I was going to try and remove the nose and reglue it till I read on here several people have tried that and it just comes loose again. Since I had the shield off, I just pulled the gasket over the arms that raise/lower the shield and left it lay inside the fairing out of the way. That way I still have it in case someone figures out a 'cure'.
This is an old but relevant thread. I just experienced the same problem and was wondering if you just used a long screw driver or rod to move the gasket around or did you take the fairing off, remove the gasket, then reassemble everything?

Yeah, mine got stuck in Moab, UT and I couldn't see it in the brite sun as being the problem. This forum saved the day and I pulled that sucker and the squeaks and binding are gone. Haven't felt the need to replace it.
My gasket just did the same thing yesterday. I see here that you did not replace your gasket. Are you seeing any long-term problems like water damage/rust/etc by not having the gasket installed?