wiring accessories, tips tricks Battery tender, heated coax

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel S.

Reaction score
hey guys, i'm looking to wire up a heated gear coax on the left side, battery tender on the right ?? also my gps switched harness, but i think i can tap the glove box for that.

my question is where is a slick, out of the way place you guys are installing these ?? my old bike they were hidden in the cowl area, say by your legs, and were easy to get to. not sure i like the thought of drilling into the left panels, but it might not be a bad idea if tasteful, i have thought about it in the past.

my controller is separate, on my jacket, and i have been using a coiled extension for the coax, seems to work well, keep the plug out of the way, and has give when you jump off connected, lol i have an adapter to do the sae to coax, so i could do the tender on the left side and use an adapter, .

thought about an eastern beaver 3 fuse deal, not sure.

feeling stressed, supposed to be 30-50 this weekend already, brrrrrrr lol

you guys have been great so far, thank you, my total ownership of any fjr, heck, of any non kawasaki has been 8 days, including today!! lol

Joel

hey guys, i'm looking to wire up a heated gear coax on the left side, battery tender on the right ?? also my gps switched harness, but i think i can tap the glove box for that.
my question is where is a slick, out of the way place you guys are installing these ?? my old bike they were hidden in the cowl area, say by your legs, and were easy to get to. not sure i like the thought of drilling into the left panels, but it might not be a bad idea if tasteful, i have thought about it in the past.

my controller is separate, on my jacket, and i have been using a coiled extension for the coax, seems to work well, keep the plug out of the way, and has give when you jump off connected, lol i have an adapter to do the sae to coax, so i could do the tender on the left side and use an adapter, .

thought about an eastern beaver 3 fuse deal, not sure.

feeling stressed, supposed to be 30-50 this weekend already, brrrrrrr lol

you guys have been great so far, thank you, my total ownership of any fjr, heck, of any non kawasaki has been 8 days, including today!! lol

Joel
https://www.centechwire.com/Auxiliary-Fuse-Panel-AP-2.htm

https://www.centechwire.com/Relay-Wiring-Kit-AP-130R.htm

GPS [TomTom] powered from the glove box outlet. As far as heated gear pigtail, I have it powered from a Powerlet plug and tucked the coax on the LH side between frame and tank surround.

Previous FJRs I installed a fuse box and powered all accessories from it. Since I'm not a heavy electronics user, on the '15, I installed two 30 amp relays in the empty space behind the battery. Works great for me.

YMMV

--G

looking for a location of the coax to exit the bike, subtle, and on the left side.
smile.png

also possibly a tender lead on the right, same, subtle, but on the right ?? or Left,
smile.png

Thanks !!

I have a Battery Tender cable tucked into the right fairing for the tender and an air pump, but for the bulk of the power work, I use a Fuzeblocks. This sits on top of the ES electronics with velcro and powers my GPS, tank bag (always on circuit), and heated Warm 'n Safe coax. The coax feed is simple...just out from underneath the seat...either from the side or up between the seat and tank (I curl it up and stow it during the hot months).

Pic was taken last fall, before I put in the coax feed and tank bag feed, so only the GPS power is shown hooked up (it goes into a protective sheath before running up the right side of the frame and under the tank). I used to power both the heated gear (jacket liner/gloves) and tank bag from a single coax via a Y cable; it worked very well. I recently changed to a tank bag with a front power port, so it necessitated a new feed.

IMG_3747-X2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Eastern Beaver fuse box in the little channel under the pillion seat. I have the cable for heated gear tucked between the left side panel and driver seat with a battery tender/ tire pump cable coiled under the tool pouch. GPS wiring runs under the tank back to the fuse box.

I had my Powerlet on my 04 FJR (and current FZ6) outlet on the left side as I mounted and dismounted on the left side (while on the kick stand).

If I'd forget to unplug my vest, it'll pull out W/O any damage to the bike controller etc.

Huge shout out to MNFJR05 !!! after work, he invited me over to help with this task. Great guy, great attention to detail, and very knowledgeable about fjr tupperware for sure. My c14 was more slide and screw assembly, not sure i'm a fan of the fjr clips yet, but i sure was a huge fan of the assistance. i would have been gun shy for sure about breaking the clips.

Got my gps wired very nicely, a battery tender lead on the right side, and a coax on the left for heated gear. still need to do a tic of polishing on the coax placement, possible gerbing panel mount in the future. Super pleased i have power since its mid 30's this morning !!!

funny story, i was riding home and was thinking to myself. hmmmm i wonder why everyone loves the led headlight. it's supposed to be great and much better than previous bulbs on the fjr, ok. i bounce a little in the seat riding to see if my headlight is in the dirt or the trees, nope, seems ok. the cornering lights i could barely tell they did anything., thought to myself, wow, those older fjr headlights must blow, i could see tons better on my c14. then it dawns on me , i still have my shoei dark shield on !!! lol, i am sure they will work much better with a clear shield.

Glad everything is up to snuff Joel. Joel is being quite humble....he is a pretty damn accomplished wrench turner...I think I may have found my new Radman minus the crust!!! If I can help out with anything in the future, give me a ring...you may get a ring back when I need expertise!

Here is my set up:

Fuzeblock and Gerbing controller mounted under the seat with 20 amp feed from battery to Fuzeblock and trigger wire to Fuzeblock from splice in rear taillight wiring. Permanent switched wiring to GPS, radar detector, Gerbing controller, and Mix It amp and unswitched wiring to charging port.

Mix It amp mounted in glove box with audio in from radar detector and GPS. I plug a Bluetooth transmitter into the audio out jack on top of the Mix It and velcro it to the side of the glove box (easily removable for charging). This sends audio wirelessly to a Motorola S705 SoundPilot Bluetooth receiver that I keep in my inside jacket pocket with my Big Ear earspeakers plugged in.

Radar detector mounted with Techmount control mount on left and Garmin 665LM GPS mounted with Techmount FJR specific stem mount.

Gerbing permanent single temperature controller kit used to install control knob and pilot light and Powerlet socket in left black panel. I use a 24” angled Powerlet cable with a coax end to attach to my Gerbing liner.

Powerlet Type-3 Rearset Kit #PKT-069 on right side mounted to frame bracket for charging port.