Won't stay in 4th gear - What should I do?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to buy a used motor and have it put installed at my local dealer Lebard Underwood. I think I got a good deal at $775 delivered. It has about 9500 miles on it.
b49eeba0b7ea5a0f63eb4f9cfaf43439877766abc16b4fe9edc2ff2e08abc1e9.jpg

...as long as the dealership isn't bending you over on the price of a motor transplant. May I ask what they're getting for the job? What are they doing with the old motor?

Good luck!
I have been using these guys for years and they never done me wrong.

Their labor rate is $80 per hour and we are thinking around 10 hours to do the job.

b49eeba0b7ea5a0f63eb4f9cfaf43439877766abc16b4fe9edc2ff2e08abc1e9.jpg

What are they doing with the old motor?

G
Not sure - know anyone who wants it?
Nope, but I'm thinking you could keep the rotor, stator, starter, valve shims, side covers, oil cooler,....aaaaaand that's about it for spare parts. Maybe sell the head for cheap on fleabay and get some of your money back? There are plenty of scrap dealers around us to give you scrap money for the rest.

Also, you might want to make sure your "new" engine's valves are properly shimmed and that it has a newer CCT in it before you have it installed; those jobs are considerably more difficult with the frame in the way.

OOOOHH, a CCT transplant before installation! I like that. Great idea. But with 9K miles I don't think I 'd bother with a valve shim check.

I wonder if the old engine had the PAIR removal plates in it? Now that is some junk worth getting rid of.

Hopefully it is not an AE like James K ended up with. Not sure how that ever ended up. There a thread around here somewhere.
Dave
Not a problem...he said it's an '05...last year of the desirable Gen 1s. Great motor out of a bike in a bad color.

If it were me I would just ride the piss out of that motor till it just wouldn't go any more. The only reason you may need 4'th or 5'th is on the highway. Hell third gear will most likely get to 112 mph. What more do you need after that. JMO

Keep the new spare engine in the shed till this one disintegrates.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me I would just ride the piss out of that motor till it just wouldn't go any more...Keep the new spare engine in the shed till this one disintegrates.
The advantage to changing the motor now is that it gives 03silver' a chance to choose when and where the job is done as opposed to a surprise in the dark hundreds of miles from home. :)

Yeah, but, think of the bragging rights of 300k on the original engine! Besides, 03SB rarely rides outside of a 200 mile range.. he just rides a lot, daily, IIRC.

Still Allen I would try and get to the 300K mark. Since he is from Cali weather is not an issue. Not like he has any downtime like us northerners. Speaking of which I have been laid up way to long now and need the white stuff to go away.

Still Allen I would try and get to the 300K mark.
Sorry to sound contrary but what's the point? IMO 300k on a BIKE is totally different than 300K on a bike's ENGINE. Again, just MHO, but the engine is the heart and soul of the bike. Without the original engine you'd get to say what, I got 300k miles on my rear brake caliper? Gimme a break. Part it out, make a few bucks and find something to ride. If someone else wants to be a sentimental fool and put another engine in it then charge a premium price for a "desired but historically insignificant" machine. JS.

The "point" is not nostalgia for the old bike, or being able to say that this bike went 300k miles.

The "point" is that this specific bike belonged to Tim Bates (Two Wheel Nut) before he passed away, who was a person of some great importance to the current owner, and to several others who knew him well. Even if the bike never reaches 300k miles, keeping it on the road may be a priority.

Not all decisions in life can be made pragmatically.

Not all decisions in life can be made pragmatically.
Yes they can. It's a choice. We can live in the past, pissing about the friends we've lost or we can get on with it and cherish the memories of them. How many times have you consoled someone who has crashed saying something like, "glad you're ok. It's only a machine, it can be replaced. Your life can't be."? What makes this different? "Cause it was "Him"? Not God. Not Ceaser. Not Geo Washington. Not even Maury. Tim. WWTD? Prolly call the sentimental ones a retard, "it's a bike for chissake. It's dying. Replace it.".

But it comes down to one's make up. Not like lipstick, you know what I mean. To each his own- I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just expressing my opinions. The OP asked so why not? I learned long ago: the older I get I go to fewer birthday parties and way more funerals. That's life- it includes death. "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'."

Not to say there haven't been important people in my life who have passed. There have. But why keep my Dad's Honda when I'm not gonna ride it? Just b/c it was his? Not, let someone else enjoy it. Dear, dear friends have passed too, doesn't mean I kept their golf clubs or 4 wheeler or birdfeeder. Maybe I'm just a hard hearted, cold blooded bass-turd like the ex says but I don't need "things" to remember and honor dead friends and family.

By the way I still have my sons jeep. For some reason I can't just forget about him. Sorry we are not all like you.

Nuff said,

Dave

By the way I still have my sons jeep. For some reason I can't just forget about him. Sorry we are not all like you.
Nuff said,

Dave
No need. As I said, "To each his own- I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, just expressing my opinions". We all know about opinions- the OP asked, that's mine. Sell it.

The "point" is not nostalgia for the old bike, or being able to say that this bike went 300k miles.
The "point" is that this specific bike belonged to Tim Bates (Two Wheel Nut) before he passed away, who was a person of some great importance to the current owner, and to several others who knew him well. Even if the bike never reaches 300k miles, keeping it on the road may be a priority.

Not all decisions in life can should be made pragmatically.
Fred <almost> nailed it.

:fuck:

Hugs n' Kisses

I was going to ask if someone could write a potted history of this bike, then Fred obliged :)

For what it's worth, and that might not be much .... It's one thing to offer an alternate view (sell it), but to then double-down when it is clear that some choose their "rememberances" differently, is just rude.

On a very large political blog that I contribute to, we have a simple rule that is enforced to keep things civil:

"Make your point, but don't be a dick".

I finally got the new motor installed. I had LeBard Underwood in La habra, CA. do it and the results couldn't be better. The motor came with a clutch, alternator, and starter. The clutch feels much better and the motor turns over much quicker. It feels like it has about the same HP as the old motor but I seem to be getting a little better gas mileage.

I rode it with out 4th gear for a while. If I had to choose a gear to lose that would be it. Its nice to have 4th gear back.

Thanks all for the support. The bike feels like its new again.

I think you made the right choice! I'm pondering trying to buy Iggy's motor as a spare for the long haul.