WooHoo: First few days on new Feejer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geno

Reaction score
I just took delivery of my new baby last Saturday. Since I'd been working temporarily in Portland for a couple of weeks, I was going stir crazy knowing my new baby was waiting for me, and I've been pouring over this forum daily picking up some great advice and knowledge - I feel like I've got 5 years experience already, thanks to you all. I started a bit of internet farkling based on what I've read here, and ordered a set of OES frame sliders, a basic Powerlet, and those cool rear bag reflectors from RealTime.

Since I've been out of the bike scene for quite a few years, it's taking me awhile to regain my sense of what's out there. As a recently retired guy, I have a few friends who've rejoined the bike fraternity after long absences like me. Over the last several months I re-acquired the fever, so my 401K bought the cure.

My first impressions of this bike is overwhelming. Man, this thing is stupid fast, but handles like a dream - a far cry from my last bike (Yamaha TX750). I'm having a hard time maneuvering in slow, tight situations - sure is tippy and HEAVY when stopped, so I'm being very careful when coming to a stop. Sure don't want to crunch things up this soon.

When I quit riding in the '80s, there was no such thing as motorcycle jackets & pants with armor in them. I'm amazed at all the safety gear available, and I've got a nice new jacket, pants, & boots.

Took her out today for a 200 mile trip through the Motherlode (central Calif.) backroads to get some experience and get the 'feel' for what this bike is all about. All I can say is I'm amazed at the performance, technology, and fit & finish of this machine. BMW has nothing on the Yamaha, IMHO. Also, Stockton Honda-Yamaha was great to work with and made the experience very pleasant.

Once again, thanks to you all for the great advice and camaradarie, and I hope to be joining some of you for some trips.

Gene Thayer

Congrats on the new FJR and welcome to the nuthouse!

Sounds like you are doing good - take it easy for a while and be extremely cautious at low speeds. Being out of bikes for a while it will take you a while to get your 'sea legs' back when it comes to the low speed stuff. Practice makes perfect.

Enjoy!

And you need to post a photo!

I just took delivery of my new baby last Saturday. Since I'd been working temporarily in Portland for a couple of weeks, I was going stir crazy knowing my new baby was waiting for me, and I've been pouring over this forum daily picking up some great advice and knowledge - I feel like I've got 5 years experience already, thanks to you all. I started a bit of internet farkling based on what I've read here, and ordered a set of OES frame sliders, a basic Powerlet, and those cool rear bag reflectors from RealTime.

Since I've been out of the bike scene for quite a few years, it's taking me awhile to regain my sense of what's out there. As a recently retired guy, I have a few friends who've rejoined the bike fraternity after long absences like me. Over the last several months I re-acquired the fever, so my 401K bought the cure.

My first impressions of this bike is overwhelming. Man, this thing is stupid fast, but handles like a dream - a far cry from my last bike (Yamaha TX750). I'm having a hard time maneuvering in slow, tight situations - sure is tippy and HEAVY when stopped, so I'm being very careful when coming to a stop. Sure don't want to crunch things up this soon.

When I quit riding in the '80s, there was no such thing as motorcycle jackets & pants with armor in them. I'm amazed at all the safety gear available, and I've got a nice new jacket, pants, & boots.

Took her out today for a 200 mile trip through the Motherlode (central Calif.) backroads to get some experience and get the 'feel' for what this bike is all about. All I can say is I'm amazed at the performance, technology, and fit & finish of this machine. BMW has nothing on the Yamaha, IMHO. Also, Stockton Honda-Yamaha was great to work with and made the experience very pleasant.

Once again, thanks to you all for the great advice and camaradarie, and I hope to be joining some of you for some trips.

Gene Thayer
I am very jealous I haven't pulled the trigger on my FJR purchase yet I am targeting though. Turns at low speeds are tough. I take some time every couple of weeks to head to the parking lot at the school and spend a half hour or so doing nothing but slow turns. Now I can turn the bars all the way to the stop and go in circles. The trick is the rear brake and clutch friction zone.

Enjoy the FJR - someday I will have one too!

Joe

Congrats on the purchase of the new '11! Take it easy and get used to the bike...the FJR is easy to ride at speed, though needs practice for the slow speed stuff.

Enjoy! :)

--G

If it comes down to you trying to save the bike in a tip over - let it go. Plastic is a lot cheaper than knee replacement :eek:

Good call on the sliders, they are your friend. Don't ask how we know :lol:

Congrats on your '11 Feej purchase, quite possibly the best 'retirement plan' out there, much better rate of return than ANY 401K!

You'll get the hang of it quickly, it's like riding a bicycle...just a boatload faster, is all! :p

Welcome to the 'collective.'

Gratz on the bike! :clapping:

As A new rider as of May 26th I feel your joy!

My heli Bar came in yesterday… You paid how much for what is all the wife could say.

Hope your 401k is health after you start with the farkles!

One thing I did before I got the bike was have it lowered (inseam challenges at 30”) helped me a lot with slow maneuvers and comfort. Might be psychological but I will take it.

Grats on the new bike :) It really is a wonderful machine. I'll also echo what others have said...master slow maneuvers. And remember to TURN YOUR HEAD and LOOK where you want to go! You should NEVER look right in front of your wheel! Your hands and bike will follow where youre looking.

And I love my OES sliders...good first farkle!

Welcome and congrats on the new bike. It wasn't very long ago that I was in your shoes. Brand new FJR and absolutely loving it. I could hardly work because I wanted to get home so bad and ride. Still lovin the bike after about 6 months of ownership. Farkles will follow. I still just absolutely love this thing. Every time I ride I still have a couple of those... "man I love this bike" moments. Good choice and enjoy the new ride!

Put the sliders on NOW! I bought mine shortly after the bike after reading the forum, but got lazy putting them on. Needless to say all the begging and pleading while a 600+ lbs bike is slowly tipping over at a turning stop while looking in the opposing direction will not save the paint as well as the sliders...

Felt like a tool looking at my scuffed mirror during the whole 5 minutes it took to put the sliders on. On the plus side, the scratched mirror did motivate me to get the FZ mirrors, which I love.

ATGATT!

I dropped mine once, in a parking spot. Damn when that thing wants to fall over, you are not going to stop it. Slider mostly saved it. Yes it's top heavy when moving really slow. Try not to come to a stop with the front wheel turned.

+1 on the low speed warnings. I just bought an 05 & almost dropped it in a bank parking lot. Other than that, I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

Hey, sounds cool. I just got my 2010 model the day before you got yours. I'm with you on that -- it's a pretty fast machine except you can't tell you're going so fast as the thing is so quiet and has effortless acceleration.

I also got the OES sliders -- 5 minute mount job. I connected my old Tomtom One and Rammount, new Givi V46 Monokey and working on an extra brake light in the back. I've also got grip puppies and Go Cruise throttle lock on order. My Vstream shield and Laminar lip are to be delivered today. I'm 5'6" so I'm hoping/betting the Vstream will improve the riding comfort; I may or may not try the Laminar lip but I have 30 days for their return policy. This week has been in the low 60s for a high so it gives me a preview of how this thing is in the cold.

I still need to get my Warm and Safe dual heat troller mounted -- I hope I have a lot of time to wait on that given it's Summer.

So my point is, this forum makes you buy more stuff so be prepared :) .

I've still yet to practice the slow speed maneuvers -- I'll get to that but will probably remove the bags and V46 before I do that. For the hanging off turns, this thing is pretty good (even with a tank bag). The bars are high enough that the tank bag doesn't get in the way.

I hope your 401k recovers -- Dow is below 12,000 again and hopefully will come back up again by Fall.

Dennis