Wrenching on the FJR...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yambone

Reaction score
I don't recall this kind of poll taken before... What level of mechanical wrenching interest and ability on the FJR do we have around here? This is not a comprehensive list, but has several examples to give you an idea.

Not talking about normal routine like checking air pressure or tread depth on tires, but where the wrench meets the bolts on this bike. Also not trying to go macho here, just seeing where we stand.

If you are a waiter, just project the level that you imagine you will be when the moment arrives, depending on your current experience, interest and skill level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Ignacio, appreciate it! Guess my poll writing skills need a little work, but I think that got most of it.

Wow, I was the second voter. It was hard not to check off the last box but my last name isn't Gore. I can do my own TB sync but the steering bearings scare me. Good poll

It was hard not to check off the last box but my last name isn't Gore. I can do my own TB sync but the steering bearings scare me. Good poll
Hey, thanks, Bugnatr! Yea, it was tough to break down the categories here. I think you could fairly substitute some things--like if you routinely pull off the panels for electrical work and have the mother of all intercom systems or have several farkles you installed, you could move a little closer to the Al Gore category.

I hope the poll gives a good snapshot, and doesn't get into some folks feeling way superior just cause they can pop a tire off the rim. Just looking more for the interest really.

A topic that interests me greatly right now.

I'm a 25 year ASE certified auto tech. I do all my own work on all my bikes. Always have, unless it's a warranty issue. Mostly BMW work, but I own 2 GSXRs, a XR400R, a couple of quads, and 2 older airhead Beemers. Now, as the new owner of an 04 FJR I get to figure out this beast. I''ll be buying a service manual soon I 'spose.

Why this is such an interesting topic to me right now is......in the BMW community I belong to, we have had many (prolly 100ish) "Tech Daze". Which is really an informal gathering at someones house where RT riders would gather and learn to work on their own machines. Anything from bacic maintenance to spline lubes, to clucth jobs to shocks, to farkling and all things between.

My question: Does that happen in the FJR community?? I am in Las Vegas, and would love an extra set of eyes and/or advice when I tear into this FJR to solve the ill-handling issues, as well as perform some overdue maintenece items, etc. I'm fortunate enough to have a huge shop, with a lift and all tools and equip needed. Now, I just need to do it.

[/life story]

Thanx for the great board. B)

Wow, I was the second voter. It was hard not to check off the last box but my last name isn't Gore. I can do my own TB sync but the steering bearings scare me. Good poll
Actually te SHB is as easy as the synch, maybe easier. You end up with a "sky hook", a spanner, and a couple of other tools to use the next time, too.

I could do my own maintenance on the FJR but right now it’s easier to have the dealer do it because of my schedule. Between work, school and the gym I’m just too damn busy. I have a pretty good mechanic that’s been giving me decent prices for the scheduled maintenance.

I do my own farkles, but so far I’ve only added a Yamaha top case, Throttlemister, Powerlet front panel kit, and a Helmet Guardian. I just got the Chatterbox GMRS X1 yesterday and I have that portable Delphi XM on the way.

Future plans that I’ll do myself are the Moko sliders, rear shock, front springs, and the exhaust.

I was an automotive mechanic then a bike mechanic and I can do most stuff and have the tools but not a lot of space or time so I'll take it in to the dealer for anything I don't have time for. I do all farkles myself.

I was not so foolish as to state I designed the Feej and the internet. I'm sux0Rs at the Gorenet, and could have done a smidgen better on the bike. ;) :D

Posted on Jan 21 2006, 12:52 PM   I was not so foolish as to state I designed the Feej and the internet.
Ah, it must have been TWN, then. :D

Posted on Jan 21 2006, 10:25 AM    ......in the BMW community I belong to, we have had many (prolly 100ish) "Tech Daze". Which is really an informal gathering at someones house where RT riders would gather and learn to work on their own machines. Anything from bacic maintenance to spline lubes, to clucth jobs to shocks, to farkling and all things between.

My question: Does that happen in the FJR community?? I am in Las Vegas, and would love an extra set of eyes and/or advice when I tear into this FJR to solve the ill-handling issues, as well as perform some overdue maintenece items, etc. I'm fortunate enough to have a huge shop, with a lift and all tools and equipment... needed.
Alas, the FJR community will prolly never match the Beemerphile's amazing and vast network. We're a fairly new, niche, nimble organization. A few FJR TechDazes have occurred, TBS parties, etc, small groups doing zactly what you said. Pick a date, post your plan here on the main forum, then post follow-up info and logistical details in the "Regional Ride Planning" section below. Be sure to post also in the "California" section, they are the most active. You could utilize the FJRForum Map to PM a few of those that area--several there in the SoCal neighborhood. With the offer a big shop, tools, equipment--in Las Vegas--I'll bet you'd get a nice turnout. Heck, I'd be interested this Spring--could bring the wife unit and hotel up in Vegas, take in some FJR tech stuff, sorta prep for the WFO-5 in Reno later in summer...

Also there are several ride events, once you get to know a few FJRers, your network will build up. It won't be Beemer land, but you have the opportunity to get in on the ground floor with the FJR community. :agent:

Posted on Jan 21 2006, 12:52 PM   I was not so foolish as to state I designed the Feej and the internet.
Wrong, Yamalube breath! Everyone knows that Algore invented the www and some pocket protector wearin' dude from The Land Of The Rising Valve Guide did the FJR. My only claim to fame was designing and building with my own two whittle hands, this:

seatrials001.jpg

;)

I don't fit directly in any of the categories. I can do most of the stuff, but have a service contract because of time issues. I know that some think of maintenance as something they get to do rather than somehing I have to do. I am going to buy the balancer, etc. and do my own tires, just because I won't pay the ridiculous prices the dealers want to mount and balance, plus then I'll know they're balanced correctly. I do grease my splines, etc., because the dealer doesn't think it as necessary as I do after seeing the threads posted here and my own bikes'driveshaft.

I'm definately comfortable doing pretty much anything on the bike mechanically speaking (used to be a bike mechanic, now auto mechanic, done all my own work for decades). I purposely bought a used bike with an existing YES contract so I wouldn't have to buy any expensive parts. Tried all the local dealers service depts for warranty stuff and they all suck SEVERELY!! That leaves me with quite a quandry. Here's how I occasionally get around it...perfect example;

Noticed a few weeks ago that I DEFINATELY had a front wheel bearing failing (it sounded BAD!). I took the bike to my local dealer last week and had one of the service guys ride the bike around the parking lot to verify the bad wheel bearing. Rather than tell them that they can't be trusted with a whole motorcycle, I told them I was going to be taking the front wheel off anyway to send the forks away to Racetech (which was actually true), and I'd bring back the front wheel and leave it with them for a few days. They were perfectly fine with that, since the lucky tech gets paid warranty time for the whole job and all he has to do is pound in a couple bearings and seals, and I didn't have to leave the whole bike with them for an undetermined amount of time, just to get it back in an undetermined condition. Win-win!! Everybody's happy. If only it could always work out that well. :D

I'm not any sort of mechanic by any means, and I have a service contract on my FJR, but was stuck doing the 600 mile oil change on my own. (The bike was over due, I had a 500 mile trip the next day and couldn't get in to the dealer for 3 weeks.)

Other than having to go to 3 dealers to find someone who had an oil filter in stock (about 150 miles on my dad's Warrior - not as fun as the FJR) I really enjoyed it - it's definately something I'll be doing in the future - little things, anyway.

I have a new right-side body panel that I need to get on this winter, so I'll be doing that by myself.

I order air and oil filters plus crush washers ahead from Guru Glenn at FJR goodies. Then I am ready to change oil anytime. I never can remember, does the smaller end of the crush washer face the block or the bolt? Or does it matter?

Wrong, Yamalube breath! Everyone knows that Algore invented the www and some pocket protector wearin' dude from The Land Of The Rising Valve Guide did the FJR. My only claim to fame was designing and building with my own two whittle hands, this:

seatrials001.jpg

;)
Figures. Ya forgot the planes. Typical T..........Always a half ass effort outta you mister. "Good enough, off to the bar"

I work as a field service engineer for one of the Big ones on MRI's,Cat scanners,nuclear med cameras,so Im no stranger to wrenching,I love to rebuild my top ends on 2 strokes but I have yet to work with valves & cams,though I know I can ,I better start out with my 750 gixxer... :lol: