• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB '05 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prshguy

Reaction score
I am looking for a non-ABS 05 FJR in the Northern California/Sacramento area. No salvage please. I can be reached at:

916 415-0752 or send me an email at [email protected]

My budget is around $9K and it will be a cash transaction, no loans or trades involved.

Thanks, Roger :rolleyes:

I am looking for a non-ABS 05 FJR in the Northern California/Sacramento area.  No salvage please.  I can be reached at:
916 415-0752 or send me an email at  [email protected]

My budget is around $9K and it will be a cash transaction, no loans or trades involved.

Thanks,  Roger :rolleyes:
Hey Roger,

Did you see the post in FJR Specific Discussion. There is talk of a dealer in Hollywood who bought 5 leftover '05's from area dealers. I'm not exactly sure how far from Hollywood you are. Most of us have traveled for our bikes. I figured that you might not be averse to that, too.

I just reread your post. A new one would be out of your price range. Well, I tried to hook ya' up!

Last edited by a moderator:
luvtoride,

Thanks for the message. I saw the post and immediately called and was told by the salesman they did have a non-ABS model but he said he was prohibited from quoting over the phone. I am in the Sacramento area (400 miles away) so strolling in to his dealership wasn't likely to happen. I decided to wait a couple of days and try again so I called Tuesday, got a different salesman, explained where I was so he took my number, said he'd check on price and I haven't heard from him since. Seems like pretty poor customer service. For the right price I was ready to pop for it but couldn't get anyone to cooperate. Guess they don't need anymore business.

Anywho, I'll just keep looking for a nice used one, I don't mind travelling if needed. Went to LA for my Triumph ST last year so a day's trip is fine. I'm looking forward to hearing more on the forum about the bike and related tales. Cheers, Roger

prshguy,

Have you tried calling around to area dealers for a used one? I'd check also with the dealer in Reno. When I was on the hunt they said they'd get me a CA bike and deal on the price.

Hi toecutter,

I tried that last night at Roseville Yamaha. As luck would have it they had a low mileage 05 on consignment but priced at $14K! When someone starts out that high it doesn't seem worth the trouble of trying to deal. When I asked about maybe ordering a new '06 they quoted me $14,600 plus tax and license. I'll try a couple of other local Yamaha dealers but I suspect I can do better dealing with private parties.

Thanks for the input though, it's appreciated.

Roger

I never checked with D&H but another out-of-state dealer told me they couldn't order a CA bike. Too bad, at the price they give it'd be worth getting a new one. Any non-CA bike can be registered as long as it has 7500 miles or more on it. Non-ABS bikes show up on Ebay a lot, but I'd want to see it in person before taking delivery. The forum classifieds are a decent bet.

prshguy,

The Yammie dealer in Quincy has about the lowest price in the northern half of the state. Great guys to work with too. A forum member got a very low price and on the way home hit a deer , wiping out the side case. The dealer sold him another case at or below cost.

I think your 9K for a used 05 is unrealistic in Cali. Most 04's and some 03's have sold at this price. Most dealers are 14 / 15 K OTD in Cali. I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, just giving you some ideas. ;) Good luck on the search. You might try Craigs List also, tried that yet ?? You can search by city on CL also.

https://www.craigslist.org/

Highlander,

Thanks for the info. Since I'm just getting started you may be right about $9K being to low but I've seen 3 non-abs FJRs in the last 2 weeks selling between 8900 and 9400. I don't mind shipping or travelling for the right bike/price so I am hoping with patience the right bike and circumstances will come together. I did try craigslist thanks, it's a good resource for all sorts of stuff. :rolleyes:

Forgot to ask, can you search by subject nationwide(ie FJR) on CL or just by one city at a time? I've just been trying Sacto, SF and LA.

The two Yamaha dealers closest to the California line in Nevada are Michael's Cycle Works in Reno and Michael's Cycle Works in Carson City, and the next closest is east of Reno (maybe in Winnemucca). I bought mine at the Carson City shop while I was living in South Lake Tahoe, CA. When I found out that of the three they had (for less than a week -- I was lucky to stumble upon mine), none was a California model, it almost screwed up the deal. But my GF lived here in Gardnerville, NV and I planned to move down here a few months later, so I registered it at her address and got the 48 state model. The folks at Michael's told me that they were constantly trying to get California models from Yamaha because they had so many customers or potential customers from around Lake Tahoe and Truckee . . . but so far, their efforts have been unfruitful. So, I'd be skeptical that you'll find a California model at a dealer here in Nevada.

Good luck -- pretty sure that you'll love the bike when you find one.

Rich,

Thanks. I wouldn't mind finding a 49 state model with 7500 miles then I wouldn't have the air-injection and carbon cannister to deal with. Is there a performance or drivability gain with the non-Calif. version? I've heard that some of the FJRs have a lean stumble or hesitation which would really bother me. I had a BMW R1150RT that stumbled and it was one of the reasons I sold it.

Roger

Rich,
Thanks.  I wouldn't mind finding a 49 state model with 7500 miles then I wouldn't have the air-injection and carbon cannister to deal with.  Is there a performance or drivability gain with the non-Calif. version?  I've heard that some of the FJRs have a lean stumble or hesitation which would really bother me.  I had a BMW R1150RT that stumbled and it was one of the reasons I sold it.

Roger
Some BMW guy probably told you about the FJR stumble that simply doesn't exist on this bike as long as you keep the throttle bodies synched...even at worst, I would never say this bike stumbles like my 'ol RS used to, or at all. Stumble...BAH! The only stumbling done with this bike is when guys fall off their bikes because they can't believe how fast you just pulled away from them!

Rich,
Thanks. I wouldn't mind finding a 49 state model with 7500 miles then I wouldn't have the air-injection and carbon cannister to deal with. Is there a performance or drivability gain with the non-Calif. version? I've heard that some of the FJRs have a lean stumble or hesitation which would really bother me. I had a BMW R1150RT that stumbled and it was one of the reasons I sold it.

Roger
It's more a pain in the ass surge at city street speeds thats very slight but tends to disturb an otherwise seamless flow of power. The PCIII eliminates it completely and makes for one of the smoothest, torquey engines you will find available.