• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB - complete engine - 1st gen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmeysemb

Reaction score
I am looking for a complete engine to replace the one out of my '05. I've seen a few on fleabay but I'm not ready to commit a grand or so for one of theirs. The best I've seen so far is a days drive each way to pick up an '05 for about $750 (about $900 total)

In short, I'd trust a fellow forum'er with a tip on a decent replacement before using Ebay.

I'd be willing to shell out a suitable price along with suitable shipping cost to make everyone happy, especially if it came with a forum'ers' recommendation. :)

Any tips appreciated. Thanks.

What happened to your engine?
It got pissed off and ran away from home :p
Not exactly. It got pissed off and broke itself internally and it stayed in my garage where it currently resides (scattered about :( ) My best guess is a shifting fork or something else that is involved in moving between the gears (either direction). The clutch seemed fine.

I'm pretty confident of getting a complete unit back in there successfully. My lack of confidence comes in trying to get a completely dis-assembled engine back together again! :blink: Although the manual is extremely helpful, I didn't realize what seems like every moving engine piece has to be removed to diagnose and fix a tranny problem. :angry:

+1

I wouldn't trash an engine for a bent shift fork.

Get your hands a little dirty and fix 'er up. Beats an engine swap any day.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I didn't realize what seems like every moving engine piece has to be removed to diagnose and fix a tranny problem. :angry:
Yep, total engine disassembly (usually); shift drum/shift forks -- last pieces to come out, first pieces to go in.

+1
I wouldn't trash an engine for a bent shift fork.

Get your hands a little dirty and fix 'er up. Beats an engine swap any day.
+1

Bent shift forks are fixed in big/better m/c shops all the time -- have been for decades.

('cept in certain NorCal Yammie shops where it's deemed waay too expensive... ;) )