Yamaha FJ-09 Sport Tourer Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got to sit on one today at a local dealer and the S10 sitting next to it. The FJ-09 seemed like a 7/8 sized S10 rather than a FJR.
That is the same impression I got when I sat on one. I think it is mostly the shape and location of the handlebars that makes it feel that way.
I checked one out today and I have to agree. It wouldn't have taken much to make this a decent adventure tourer.

Maybe Yamaha will bring that variation out next year.

The things I didn't like were the seat and the handlebars.

For a sport tourer the seat was too thin for my butt and the bars were too wide. I think you would catch an awful lot of wind at 80mph with your arms spread out that much. I'm sure both items would be aftermarket correctable.

I checked one out today and I have to agree. It wouldn't have taken much to make this a decent adventure tourer.Maybe Yamaha will bring that variation out next year.

The things I didn't like were the seat and the handlebars.

For a sport tourer the seat was too thin for my butt and the bars were too wide. I think you would catch an awful lot of wind at 80mph with your arms spread out that much. I'm sure both items would be aftermarket correctable.
Somewhat ironically (?) two of the things that I didn't like about (either of) my FJR were the bars and the seats. The seats were "fixed" by sending them to Russell (along with about 7 Benjamins) for a Daylong upgrade and the bars will be fixed soon with either a HeliBar bridge riser or MCL Riser Plate. I have never sat on a bike that didn't need tailoring to my own personal ergonomics.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lighter fj09 would be nice on the miles of open USFS roads all around me, where I never take my 06. Sure would be great/perfect if they add the YCC-S. It's just so fine. And on a 900cc it could attract some newbies that might shy from 1300. Will definitely suggest.

Scooter - when is the Demo Ride truck coming to Baton Rouge?
I have no idea when, or if, it will be coming to Baton Rouge anytime soon.
sadsmiley.gif

Well it seems the FJ-09s are making it to east coast dealers. I stopped at a local dealer to check one out on Friday. I was pleased with the seating position and 'lightness' of the FJ-09. The bars were comfortably high and the foot pegs felt well positioned for me. If I were to buy one, the seat and windshield would have to go. No way that winshield would give me enough protection for a day's ride and that seat would be torture after 30 minutes. I'm a candy ass in that regard. Comes from being spoiled by the RDL on my FJR. The width of the gas tank and those decorative looking plastic bits around it appear that they'll punch a big enough hole into the air to provide some wind protection for the rider.

I'm intrigued by what I've read about the handling of the bike, the snappiness of the little triple motor and the overall grin factor. Looks like Yamaha has another winner.

I hope to get a test ride in sometime this spring.

Well it seems the FJ-09s are making it to east coast dealers. I stopped at a local dealer to check one out on Friday. I was pleased with the seating position and 'lightness' of the FJ-09. The bars were comfortably high and the foot pegs felt well positioned for me. If I were to buy one, the seat and windshield would have to go. No way that winshield would give me enough protection for a day's ride and that seat would be torture after 30 minutes. I'm a candy ass in that regard. Comes from being spoiled by the RDL on my FJR. The width of the gas tank and those decorative looking plastic bits around it appear that they'll punch a big enough hole into the air to provide some wind protection for the rider.
I'm intrigued by what I've read about the handling of the bike, the snappiness of the little triple motor and the overall grin factor. Looks like Yamaha has another winner.

I hope to get a test ride in sometime this spring.
I found the seat to be hard when just sitting on it and figured my Candy A$$ would require an aftermarket seat as usual, butt (notice the spelling), after a few 100+ mile days, it does not make me squirm or ache at all. I will keep it stock for now. Oh, just discovered it has a speed limiter of 114/115 mph, even after the break in period. Many are pissed. Hoping for an ECU flash to fix this sometime in the not so distant future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, just discovered it has a speed limiter of 114/115 mph, even after the break in period. Many are pissed. Hoping for an ECU flash to fix this sometime in the not so distant future.
Strange, have seen several youtube videos that show that not to be true.

Those were probably overseas. We have had 4 members verify this speed limiter in the U.S. and one from Canada. The European ECU has a different P/N, so I think it is only a States thing. One bike had 1,700 miles on it and he was limited also. I have 800 miles on mine, and it is most definitely limited at 114mph. Just stops accelerating at that speed.

If you recall, at what rpm is the motor turning in top gear at 114mph? Seems to me if that is what Yamaha wanted (limited top end), seperate the distance between 5th and 6th gear, and design the first 5 gears to be more spirited.

I wonder if limiting the top speed somehow lowers the insurance rating?

Oh, just discovered it has a speed limiter of 114/115 mph, even after the break in period. Many are pissed. Hoping for an ECU flash to fix this sometime in the not so distant future.
That would stop me from taking this motorcycle seriously. Too bad Yamaha didn't learn from their nonsense with the cruise control limit on the FJR.

So, in the 6 years I've had my FJR, I can count on three fingers the number of times I ran it up into triple digits...not sure the 114mph limiter on the FJ-09 would really bother me too much. But that's just me. I don't live anywhere near roads without speed limits.

That would stop me from taking this motorcycle seriously. Too bad Yamaha didn't learn from their nonsense with the cruise control limit on the FJR.
+1..For me the (too high) seat height was somewhat of a downside, but 114mph speed limiter
nono.gif
would not be a good thing passing a string of cars.
ohno-smiley02.gif

If the 114 mph cap is true that's really unfortunate. I take my FJR to New England Dragway occasionally and exceed that speed every time. That may impact a track day too. According to my GPS saved values, someone riding my FJR exceeds that speed on a regular basis. Then again, on the FJR all you have to do is open up the throttle and wait a few seconds....

It sounds like the 200kph limit put on Adventure bikes. Both my DL1000 and the S10 would stop accelerating at 124-126 mph indicated....which is probably about 115 mph actual. It has never been a problem riding in the real world.

I can't decide if this issue curbs my enthusiasm for this bike. I don't hit triple digits that often on the FJR and when I do its not deep into that range. I don't see myself pushing a FJ-09 into that region on a regular basis. Unless I'm trying to keep up with 'beam ;)

Maybe the 2016 model will address this and add cruise control too.

Those were probably overseas. We have had 4 members verify this speed limiter in the U.S. and one from Canada. The European ECU has a different P/N, so I think it is only a States thing. One bike had 1,700 miles on it and he was limited also. I have 800 miles on mine, and it is most definitely limited at 114mph. Just stops accelerating at that speed.
That would convince me not to buy one. Not that I'd have many opportunities to exceed 114 mph on the crowded roads in this area.