yamaha larger windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one on my 2008 and got ride of it after the first 100 miles and put the stock one back. I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam. With the shield all the way up, the top edge was right in my line of sight. I also tried the CalSci, large and that had way to much buffetting in the full up position. I will be trying the Cee Baliy plus 2" with flip!

Rob

Isn't it fun looking for winshield nirvana? Winshield selection is as personal a seat, riser, etc. In case you are interested, you can try the V-Stream that I have for sale. I tried the Yamaha touring shield, and thought it was just bigger with no improvement...then on to the Cee Baileys +2-+2 reverse flip. It was good, but a bit large for me. Then on to the Cee Baileys +2 standard width. Bingo!! This gives me clean air when down, and a decent pocket of still air full up with no buffeting anywhere in between. Then I thought I would try the V-Stream because of rave reviews on the forum. It was a close second to the Cee Baileys that I had, but didn't want to switch.

Whatever anyone says, if you are looking for a Goldwing type pocket of still air, NO windshield for the FJR is going to give you that. You just have to do your research here according to like height / inseam riders...take their opinions with a grain of salt, and hope for the best! But don't worry, you will find one that works for you. BTW, I am 5' 10" with a 30" inseam at 185# :)

Happy Hunting!!

Love mine. I found it for $85, so I thought it was a great buy. Most new CalSci or Vstreams are around $116. If I didn't like it then I could re-sell it or just keep it as a spare for some reason.

With the seat in either the lower or higher position I can see over it. 32" inseam, Russell DayLong seat.

If you can try one before buying it, great, but I'm completely happy with my taller yamaha shield

Bought one used from a member last year and put 8000 miles on it throuhg cold, winds, rain and desert. 6'1" and 31 inch inseam. All the way up I can still look over it. Love it. Bought another used one on the forum for when this one bites the dust I don't have to wait. I admit I itch for a try at a Vstream, but I like the touring Yamaha shield enough that I'll sit tight using it.

Isn't it fun looking for winshield nirvana? Winshield selection is as personal a seat, riser, etc. In case you are interested, you can try the V-Stream that I have for sale. I tried the Yamaha touring shield, and thought it was just bigger with no improvement...then on to the Cee Baileys +2-+2 reverse flip. It was good, but a bit large for me. Then on to the Cee Baileys +2 standard width. Bingo!! This gives me clean air when down, and a decent pocket of still air full up with no buffeting anywhere in between. Then I thought I would try the V-Stream because of rave reviews on the forum. It was a close second to the Cee Baileys that I had, but didn't want to switch.
Whatever anyone says, if you are looking for a Goldwing type pocket of still air, NO windshield for the FJR is going to give you that. You just have to do your research here according to like height / inseam riders...take their opinions with a grain of salt, and hope for the best! But don't worry, you will find one that works for you. BTW, I am 5' 10" with a 30" inseam at 185# :)

Happy Hunting!!

The Goldwing has a terrible buffeting problem, primarily because of the upright riding position and the distance from the windshield. TI tried several shields and ended up selling my 05 wing because of the that.The VStream is an excellent choice. Didn't like the touring Yamaha shield much. Sam

I bought Bogus' large from him. PM me if you want to try it (by buying it); I really don't need a large windshield in Texas.

Love mine. I'm 6'1", 32" inseam. With it in the full up position, I'm looking over top of it, but even at superslab speeds it does a great job at keeping the wind off me. The first thing I noticed when I put it full-up is I could actually hear what my FJR sounded like. I also like it because it's not too big and bulky so it compliments the sexy lines of the FJR :yahoo:

Happy with Yamaha touring shield too. Quiet when full-up (can hear engine too !) Some back pressure though. Good wind/rain protection (as long as you keep moving..) yet short enough in full down to allow good airflow on warmer days.

6'3", 32 inseam

I just ordered one yesterday, can't wait to get it. Hope this will do the trick for me. I'll update once I've ridden with it.

I am 5' 9", riding a 2008 FJR. I did not like the stock windshield....way to much helmet noise. I purchased a Cee Bailey 4" taller + 2" wider than stock, reverse contour/light greg tint. It is perfect! When the sheild is all the way up, its like shutting your car windows.......the wind and road noise disappears. I am really happy with my new shield!

Blacksheep

I put one on on mine and I like it. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam, so I'm long waisted and sit pretty tall. The stock windshield didn't come up high enough to dampen the wind noise. I think it is 4" over stock and I almost never put it up all the way. I just raise it until it gets quiet. Conditions vary, so I have no set height.

I put it on right after I got the bike last year, so I can't compare much with the stock. One thing I have noticed is that around 100mph the wind noise around the windshield gets pretty harsh. It pushes a lot of air. Also, when it is gusty it tends to pull the bike around a bit and I need to lower it for better control.

I don't go 100mph very often, but I suspect it would be a good idea to lower it and hunch over some when doing so.

I am 5 foot 6", so taking that in to account, I love my touring windshield and will not be changing. Here are some Pix.
fjr8-15mods006.jpg
SANY0465.jpg
duc1098done016.jpg

Happy Hunting!!
I'd have to agree with bogus in that most accessories are a personal choice because everyone is a little different from the next guy but, I'd have to disagree with the unattainable pocket of still/quiet air. The ONLY time I get any noise is if there is a strong cross-wind. I have the Calsci extra tall w/s and although it is considerably warmer in summer (I keep it all the way down for clean cool air flow), I still keep it on year 'round. The benefit of the pocket of still/quiet air far outweighs the added warmth in summer. I'm 6'2" 34" inseam so all the way up, I'm looking through 3"-4" of w/s. I probably could have just got the tall but, I figured why not get the tallest available. After all, the height is infinitely adjustable. In winter riding it is a God-send! Just my opinion, jevers