Yamaha Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndaub

Reaction score
I ordered the Yamaha trunk when I purchased my 2007 FJR AE since the dealer offered 15% all OEM accessories at time of purchase. I wish I had researched other options first since I later learned that you can get the Givi 52 liter color matched to the Cerulean Silver. Anyway, I do like the following about the Yami trunk:

The key is matched to the ignition

It is tested aerodynamically by Yamaha

It is extremely easy to mount and take off

It looks good on the bike for a trunk (of course, I prefer the look of all bikes without trunks)

Perfect color match

What I do not like it:

It appears big but the inside is small (my laptop case, which was slightly oversized for the laptop, did not fit so I had to buy a smaller laptop case which barely fits the laptop and barely fits in the Yami trunk)

It was much more expensive than the Givi

I wish that I had been able to see the both the Yami and Givi side-by-side in person before I had to make my decision including comparing the mounting systems. Pictures of both trunks in catalogs do not truely indicate what they look like in person.

Well, how timely. I was just looking for info on the Yami trunk. I like the look a lot better then the Givi, but I too would need to use it to store my laptop to and from work. Any chance you could take a few internal measurements for me? They only put that it is 1.83 cubic in on the Yami site...no measurements. BTW, the Givi E52 is 52 liters which by my math is pretty damn close to the same size.

Oh, and for Yami parts, this place in my neck of the woods has 25% off msrp. I have never ordered online from them, but I have been to their shop and they seem like good people.

Aside from (IMO) being fugly, they are rumored to be a bit less stable at high speeds than the Givi. I can only speak to the v46, which is pretty stable unless heavily loaded.

I have the yamaha trunk..and have been very happy with it. I don't have a laptop, and most the time only carry a few items in it. You can only get ONE helmet in it, as I have heard the Givi will hold two..but I just like the looks of it over the Givi.

It would be hard to give you internal dimensions as the inside is not a perfect box. The back is wider than the front..back is about 18-3/4" and it's about 16-1/2 in the front. The sides are straight but the front, (opposite the hinge) slants back. The bottom part is about 7 inches at its deepest, but then the lid has about the same capacity as the bottom section. Front to back there is about 12-1/2" but thats near the opening, at the bottom of the case it's about 9-1/4".

The double wall design does decrease the internal size, so yeah, it is smaller on the inside than it looks. The good part is that double wall makes a nice insulator, so stuff inside does not seem to get as hot on a sunny day...you can fill it with ice and pack in half a case of beer. (DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE)

The fact that the lid is about the same size as the bottom half makes packing a bit of a guessing game, as it is hard to tell whats "too tall" until you try closing the lid. But this is true of the Givi case also.

Mine has the attached passenger backrest and my wife finds it comfortable, although a bit hard. The Givi has this as an option too I believe.

If you really need the space, the Givi is bigger...or is configured to easily hold larger items (less weird angles?) And is priced a bit better.

Looks are subjective, so I'd see if you can look both over somehow in person.

KM

Thanks. I too like the looks of the Yami box better then the Givi. I have seen the Givi's at the cycle show and I think they are just too round.

My only other concern would be the ease of removing it. I would like to take it off when not in use as I dont like the trunk on it if it doesnt need it. John mentioned they are pretty easy...would you say the same?

Thanks. I too like the looks of the Yami box better then the Givi. I have seen the Givi's at the cycle show and I think they are just too round.
My only other concern would be the ease of removing it. I would like to take it off when not in use as I dont like the trunk on it if it doesnt need it. John mentioned they are pretty easy...would you say the same?
It's as easy as lifting the second latch, which then becomes the carrying handle. I've carried it up to the office.

I bought the Yamaha truck at the same time I bought my bike last year and it was stable up to about 140 riding 2-up. They sent me a recall repair a few months ago and when I took it in they added a piece of metal to the bottom of the top case and said there were some issues where they were cracking so they sent it out as a precaution. I like the price of the Givi but I would get the Yamaha all over again. I travel with my T-61 IBM laptop and much of my camera gear and it all fits nicely.

The only drawback not mentioned here is that the wife is pushed forward quite a bit more than with the Premier backrest. Which also pushes me forward more, it was great with the Premier. It also makes it harder for her to hang on to the hand holds. Now to find a good way to move it back a inch.

Cary

Hey Knucklehead,

PM me if you want to see a Yami trunk installed. We can meet locally. I bought mine from Umotors for my 07. It goes on and off as easily as the side cases. I got it because I like the looks better than the Givi trunk, but the Givi is less $$ and has more room.

Well, how timely. I was just looking for info on the Yami trunk. I like the look a lot better then the Givi, but I too would need to use it to store my laptop to and from work. Any chance you could take a few internal measurements for me? They only put that it is 1.83 cubic in on the Yami site...no measurements. BTW, the Givi E52 is 52 liters which by my math is pretty damn close to the same size.
Oh, and for Yami parts, this place in my neck of the woods has 25% off msrp. I have never ordered online from them, but I have been to their shop and they seem like good people.
I noticed that someone gave measurements. To give you a practical answer, I thought that I would give the dimensions of my new laptop case. It is 16.5" by 12" with the strap making it slightly longer and the handle making it about a half inch taller. It is about 5" thick. As mentioned, the back of the trunk is wider than the front so this laptop bag sits on the floor of the trunk in the back and is sloped up when sitting in the trunk but is flush with the bottom half (therefore, the entire top half of the trunk is available for additional items). Bottomline, it still does not sit flat in the bottom of the trunk so small items could be placed underneath. I hope this helps.

Hey Knucklehead,

PM me if you want to see a Yami trunk installed. We can meet locally. I bought mine from Umotors for my 07. It goes on and off as easily as the side cases. I got it because I like the looks better than the Givi trunk, but the Givi is less $$ and has more room.
Great, thanks. I just may do that.

I noticed that someone gave measurements. To give you a practical answer, I thought that I would give the dimensions of my new laptop case. It is 16.5" by 12" with the strap making it slightly longer and the handle making it about a half inch taller. It is about 5" thick. As mentioned, the back of the trunk is wider than the front so this laptop bag sits on the floor of the trunk in the back and is sloped up when sitting in the trunk but is flush with the bottom half (therefore, the entire top half of the trunk is available for additional items). Bottomline, it still does not sit flat in the bottom of the trunk so small items could be placed underneath. I hope this helps.

Awesome. Thanks alot. My bag is just about the same size so I should be ok. Looks like I have a little while to wait anyway as the above dealer doesnt have the 08 accesories listed on their site yet.

I have the yamaha trunk. it is color matched,and keyed alike. Other than that, I would love to have a e-52 givi. My main riding buddy has one and it is huge compared to the yamaha trunk. It fits two full face helmets side by side, I can't get one in my trunk. I could not get a color matched givi for the cerrulean silver in the E-52, so I bought the yamaha. I am tempted to sell it and buy a givi.

I have the yamaha trunk. it is color matched,and keyed alike. Other than that, I would love to have a e-52 givi. My main riding buddy has one and it is huge compared to the yamaha trunk. It fits two full face helmets side by side, I can't get one in my trunk. ..............

Well, you need to take all that other crap out of there...or you have some odd kind of helmet?

Most folks can put ONE helmet in the yamaha trunk, (and one in each side case too)

The Givi is big , but I don't normaly need to carry that much stuff. Matter of fact it is usually fairly empty, but will hold my helmet , winter gloves, with still room to spare.

However...

I too would have gotten the Givi, (because of $$$$).. but they did not have a color match for my bike when I got it either.

KM