Yamaha's FJR1300 Comfort Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have the Yamaha comfort seat? Do you like it? Better than stock? Is it any lower than the 07 stock seat?https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products...0/1/detail.aspx
I have one, and naturally, an opinion. I did like so many others have done. I started with the Comfort seat, now have it and a Rick Mayer leather seat.

To answer your question, and I assume be bashed beyond belief from the folks that like them, I'd say save your money for "real" seat. Is it better than a stock one? Short answer equals yes. Is it the answer to the discomfort of the stock one? IMHO, no. It's certainly not a touring seat. It seems to be exactly like to stock seat as far as height, adjustability, etc. Here again IMHO, it would be a good alternative to the stock seat for trips under 100 miles (depending on the judgement/discomfort of the rider). Is it worth $300+, that again depends on how bad your backside is hurting and how short your future rides will be. Some folks are happy with the stock seat, but comfort/discomfort is an individual thing. Try to sit on one before buying, or better, find one that someone will lone you.

One other thing. If you eventually decide to buy a "real" seat, most likely you'll have to send off your stock one for the pan that is in it. If you have the extra seat you'll still be able to ride while waiting on the "real" seat. "Real seat" equals touring seat, as in, Rick Mayer, Russell day-long, fill-in-the-blank saddle shop, what makes you happy custom seat maker, you get the idea?

Good luck, and from experience my advice is - If there's any doubt on your part (and there will be unless you do a ride in) don't try to get out cheap, your arse will regret it more ways than one.

The Hound

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Motorad,

I have the 'comfort seat', and I think The Hound covers it pretty well. It seems to be contoured and positioned exactly like the stock seat, with just a little extra padding. (Hey Yamaha - why dont you just sell THIS SEAT as the stock seat? - Yeesh!) The seat is fine for me, but I typically dont have 'butt discomfort' issues. I have to stop to stretch my legs long before the seat bothers me. I did 4 very full days to/from/at EOM and it gave me no problems. (However, at EOM it looked like at least 50% of the FJRs had some brand of aftermarket.) About 5K total miles on my 07 with this seat and I would buy it again. I just dont need anything more at this point.

If you have had a fair amount of discomfort from the stock seat doing the type of riding that you do, go for a 'real seat'.

Charlie

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not surprised that it isn't that much better than stock. I don't have an FJR yet but when I get mine (looking at an 07) I know one of the first things I will need to do is get a different seat. I'm 5' 6" and reaching the ground is a stretch. Once underway the bike is great. Another option is the Corbin. I have always liked Corbin's passenger backrest design. The rider saddle actually looks like it may be a little lower than stock and I like the higher padding that goes up the back of the tank. Should be kinder to the family jewels. Does anyone have one of these? Are my assumptions correct?

https://www.corbin.com/yamaha/yfjr1306.shtml

Noting that you're in Salem, keep in mind that we have Rich O'Connor in our backyard (ok, Seattle) whom builds an outstanding seat for the FJR. Here's a link to his site: https://richscustomseats.com/index.asp For you, it's a 1 day affair: ride up early in the morning (make sure you make an appointment), Rich will do the custom fitting in the morning, put the new skin on it in the afternoon, and have you back on the road by around 4:00.

Rich built my seat (rider + pillion) in early September and I've put about 1200 miles on it since; probably 750 of those with my wife. It's amazingly comfortable (love those gel pad inserts) and is, in my personal opinion, more aesthetically pleasing than the Russel or Mayer (Bill's or Rick's) saddles. Even my wife (now) agrees that having a custom seat built has been worth every penny!

Hey Motorad,

I bought the comfort seat from another forum member for less $300 for my 2006 fjr, but if I were to do it all over again I'd probably bite the bullet and go for the corbin/sargent/rick mayer(all of which are double the price of the comfort seat I bought). It is better than the stock seat but its no lazy boy. It is wider and firmer than the stocker so it does increase the seat height but only by a hair (I'm 5'7" and am not comfortable tip-toeing the bike around the parking lot either.)

It takes a little while to break in too - at least 2500 miles. My wife sometimes rides with me and she does say it is better than the stock seat.

With the stock seat I could go 150 miles before my butt started to burn; with the comfort seat I can go 350 and then I've gotta rest the tush. When I first went on a weeklong trip with my fjr on about the 3rd day of riding my butt hurt just looking at the stock seat. So, like many people on the forum say about the comfort seat it is a good cheap alternative.

Hope that helps

joe

ML,

thanks for the tip about richscustomseats.com. Looks like a great alternative. His photos of the fjr are kinda poor but it looks like the passenger seat is wide and bulbous. But I'm sure he can build it the way I want.

JoeR6,

that's good to know. If I decide to go cheap I'll get the comfort seat. In the long run though it doesn't pay to be cheap. Because my wife needs a backrest and I'm picky about looks I would like to hold out for the corbin.

Still haven't heard from anyone with the Corbin for the 2006-2007 FJR?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Corbin with the heat option and the smuggler, easily one of the best mods I've made.

And while I have never put any miles on the Myers or Sagent, my butt opinion is it is extremly comfortable. I use my smuggler all the time, it has worked great and fits the lines of the FJR very well.

I can't recall how much I paid for it but I am very happy with both. I do remember, however, there was some traffic about some who felt (butt opinion) that corbin was not as good as some of the others. It will lower you more than most from what I have seen, and comes with its own seat pan, no need to send in the stocker.

Hope this helps.

Lake Powell,

Yes it helps thanks. I do have a few more questions though. How much lower than stock do you think it is? The heated version is considerably more money and for that reason I am leaning toward the non-heated version. Do you use the heat and would you recommend it?

Motorad

Found the seat height answer on the Corbin site.

Measurements:

Rider seating: 13" wide x 12" long

Passenger seating: 12" wide x 10.5" long

Approx. seat height: 29" (unladen)

Smuggler Capacity: 12 Liters

According to Yamaha specs the stock seat height is 31.5" - 32.5".

1.5" lower would be perfect for me. Non-heated Corbin Front, Rear, and oval backrest is $647. The heated version with oval backrest is $1047. Is it worth $400 to keep your butt warm? I'm thinking for $400 I would stay home when it gets that cold. Could buy all the other needed cool stuff with that $400.

The Yamaha one is JUNK! Save your money for a while, they're working on another one.

I rode the first one, and a second one that was supposed to be better, but it wasn't. The established seat makers know what they're doing, but they charge for it.

Pretty sure the YPAD guys will get it eventually, but not yet.

The Yamaha one is JUNK! Save your money for a while, they're working on another one.
I wouldn't hold your breath on this one. Unless an unheard of breakthrough in factory construction is made, no factory seat will ever give you the kind of seat that makes one's tush happy. Especially on the longer runs. Don't waste your time modify your own or have it done. You won't regret it. PM. <>< :D

Can't one just take the electric carving knife to one's ass to fit the existing seat. ;)

As long as you don't ride any other bikes, it should be a viable option. :blink:

I did my first unofficial 1000 mile day on my FJR with the stock seat. I honestly think it's the best stock seat I've ever ridden. You're right, painman, it will take a while for the "factory" guys to figure it out. It's a shame, too. I'm sure they could partner with one of the big names in the business, if they weren't so concerned about trying to make completely proprietary products.

Will keep my stock one on until it becomes absolutely necessary.