YFO 2017 Yosemite Group Ride Planning Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, I just might have to look into this. Thanks!
Lone Pine has a great movie museum and you can take a ride out to Movie Rd (hard pack dirt) which takes you along some of the landscapes used in tv and movies... it's pretty cool!

https://www.lonepinefilmhistorymuseum.org/

https://www.lonepinefilmhistorymuseum.org/articles-with-out-menu-items/how-to-get-to.html

I rode out to Movie Rd last year on my way back from Death Valley... some stunning scenery!

DSC_0176.77%20pano-X2.jpg

DSC_0183-X2.jpg

DSC_0201-X2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ridden from Durango, CO to Chama, NM via:

Hwy 151
Hwy 169
hwy 551
then whatever that road is that runs parallel to the Navajo River all the way to Duice?

I'm trying to confirm that all of those roads are paved????

Pants, he sent me down some damn dirt shortcut on the way back to Montrose last year. "Oh, you can take it at 70 miles an hour," he sez." Maybe he could. On his KTM. I couldn't. Be skeptical.

We'd like you to make it ALL the way to Mariposa.

A friend and I are leaving Harrisonburg, VA on May 24 headed to YFO !!
clapping.gif
thumbsupsmiley.png

Route is flexible - Probably through TN and midstate AR to begin.

You all ride safe !!

Six days and a wake up and I'm on the steel horse heading southbound! Not a lot of planning taking place, thinking I'll take this trip one day at a time.

One thing I'm sure of, there's a few NoCal roads that are worth re-exploring...
punk.gif

--G

I have never been to a large multi-day gathering like this. Aside from Saturday dinner, are there planned group rides/events? Or is it all concocted ad-hoc in the lobby of the lodge? Perhaps just FJRs randomly buzzing the country side.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="NTXFJR" data-cid="1365083" data-time="1494634527"><p>

Ok, I spent tome time playing around with the routes and thanks again to Tyler and Tom for the suggestions. I liked all of the things put out there, especially the mountains, any excuse to avoid the heat afaic. I ended up trimming some here, adding a some there, and this is what I'm looking at for now. Is a slight detour through Angeles National Forest on some of highway 2 worth it? I'm looking at dividing this up into 2.5 days, arriving at Mariposa Thursday afternoon-ish. Any suggestions for changes are appreciated.<br />

<br />

<a href='https://goo.gl/maps/dxp31Uh2AMq.'>https://goo.gl/maps/dxp31Uh2AMq.</a></p></blockquote>

I'm leaving Tehachapi at some point to be in Mariposa Thursday or Friday. I need to stop up at Huntington lake for a short bit so I'll probably make that an overnight. If any of that fits in your plans and you want to buddy up let me know.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="NTXFJR" data-cid="1365083" data-time="1494634527"><p>Ok, I spent tome time playing around with the routes and thanks again to Tyler and Tom for the suggestions. I liked all of the things put out there, especially the mountains, any excuse to avoid the heat afaic. I ended up trimming some here, adding a some there, and this is what I'm looking at for now. Is a slight detour through Angeles National Forest on some of highway 2 worth it? I'm looking at dividing this up into 2.5 days, arriving at Mariposa Thursday afternoon-ish. Any suggestions for changes are appreciated.<br />

<br />

<a href='https://goo.gl/maps/dxp31Uh2AMq.'>https://goo.gl/maps/dxp31Uh2AMq.</a></p></blockquote>

I'm leaving Tehachapi at some point to be in Mariposa Thursday or Friday. I need to stop up at Huntington lake for a short bit so I'll probably make that an overnight. If any of that fits in your plans and you want to buddy up let me know.
The Huntington Lake area looks cool! Based on a forum member's suggestion I've decided to stay on the western side of the Sierra range inbound to Mariposa instead of doing 395 up the east side. I'd still like to try to get up to Carson Pass and Monitor Pass maybe on a day ride if anyone's interested? Trying to figure out the chances of hwy 108 through Dardanelle or hwy 4 through Ebbits Pass being opened up in the next few days?

Fwiw, this is the route I'm looking at if anyone wants to share some some of it on the way in. My plan is to do this one Wednesday 5/31, take a room in Bakersfield, and continue on into Mariposa Thursday.

https://goo.gl/maps/vtKSL9neht82

7 days and a wake up to launch
agent.gif

Has anyone ridden from Durango, CO to Chama, NM via:Hwy 151

Hwy 169

hwy 551

then whatever that road is that runs parallel to the Navajo River all the way to Duice?

I'm trying to confirm that all of those roads are paved????
There s a great campground with great vistas south of Cisco, UT on Rt 128 called Fisher Towers.

I have never been to a large multi-day gathering like this. Aside from Saturday dinner, are there planned group rides/events? Or is it all concocted ad-hoc in the lobby of the lodge? Perhaps just FJRs randomly buzzing the country side.
Show up, meet a new friend or two, go for a ride... there will be lots of different groups going different directions at different paces... just depends on what you want to do... many will be arriving on Thursday. My personal plan is to head into the park on Friday to see the waterfalls and out to Glacier Point... I've been many times but it still leaves me gobsmacked... Saturday will be a day ride in the area TBD... there is lots to choose from!

That being said, since you're new to the group and all the personalities, please make sure you don't get in over your head by pushing yourself beyond your limits... that never ends well. Not a put down at all but given you are the only one who knows what pace your comfortable with, just be true to yourself. SOP is the leader of the group will wait at turns for everyone to group back up before proceeding so no one gets lost or left behind... Now THAT being said, know where you are and how to get back to the hotel because even the best leaders have left a rider behind inadvertently... cough, cough. :D

I'm gonna have to salt that info away! I have friends that run the Cumbres & Toltec railroad in Chama each year. Been on the train once and it's awesome.

Alrighty then! Sounds like the hotel will be the focal point for finding friends/rides.

I'm uncertain of my travel plans and lodging at this point so to do more than solo ride I asked.

Thanks for the response.

As for over extending myself on a ride - I'm the slow guy that makes a good sweep :>)

I may even bring a paper map.

Show up, meet a new friend or two, go for a ride... there will be lots of different groups going different directions at different paces... just depends on what you want to do... many will be arriving on Thursday. My personal plan is to head into the park on Friday to see the waterfalls and out to Glacier Point... I've been many times but it still leaves me gobsmacked... Saturday will be a day ride in the area TBD... there is lots to choose from!

That being said, since you're new to the group and all the personalities, please make sure you don't get in over your head by pushing yourself beyond your limits... that never ends well. Not a put down at all but given you are the only one who knows what pace your comfortable with, just be true to yourself. SOP is the leader of the group will wait at turns for everyone to group back up before proceeding so no one gets lost or left behind... Now THAT being said, know where you are and how to get back to the hotel because even the best leaders have left a rider behind inadvertently... cough, cough.
biggrin.png

Alrighty then! Sounds like the hotel will be the focal point for finding friends/rides.I'm uncertain of my travel plans and lodging at this point so to do more than solo ride I asked.

Thanks for the response.

As for over extending myself on a ride - I'm the slow guy that makes a good sweep :>)

I may even bring a paper map.
You will have some kindred spirits for sure... come find me and introduce yourself... you're welcome to ride with me but be forewarned... I like to take photos! :D

Yosemite is a popular place, be ready for traffic and slow going. On the up side there is not many better places to have too look at the scenery while stuck in traffic. Bring your sunscreen....and Mosquito repellent! Both are out in full force these days.

Hey! New to this thread, but just noticed this YFO trip to Mariposa. Yeah, i know, i live under a rock. I'm from the area, Stockton to be exact, and would het a charge out of seein a bunch of FJR's all farkled up n pretty, so i could get some ideas for my 15 from all you guys from all over yonder! Spent a lot of time in the Sierras and as far as the passes go Ebbetts on Highway 4 almost always opens before Sonora on 108 because the grade on Sonora is significantly steeper near the top. Coming up from the south is a good idea and then going back, even if both passes were still closed, you could go 49 to Jackson and over 88 and get to either South Lake Tahoe or go south over Monitor (89) to hit 395, and that whole way is just bee-yoo-tifulfor sure. A lunch stop at Kit Carson Lodge on Silver Lake before you get to Caples Lake and the Carson summit is a great lodge with cabins on the lake. I'd just like to know if i could join you folks for a day at Mariposa Lodge and see what all the fuss is about (and for purely selfish reasons, sit on your bikes and see what some of those custom seats (like a Lammb) or some Helibar risers feel like!) I think ive definitely fallen behind on my upgrades. How bout it? Room for one more FJ Dork? Daniel