You have been warned!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that this is an old post but it has a great schematic of the rear relay arm assembly.

Any ideas on how to remove spacer #26 in the above diagram?

I have every bolt removed but this spacer is holding the relay arm in place. Any comments would be appreciated.

EDIT: It is all out, time to clean up and put back together.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that this is an old post but it has a great schematic of the rear relay arm assembly.

I have every bolt removed but this spacer is holding the relay arm in place. Any comments would be appreciated.

Canadian FJR
Strange - I have done mine several times and have never had a problem. Have you removed the centre stand bolts? From memory the right hand front bolt is put in back-to-front at the factory and has to be turned to give the required clearance.

Don

Canadian,

Once I got the #23 bolt out, the pivot (relay arm) assy dropped right out. I know that the sleeve #26 was still in place when the pivot came out. Perhaps try to wiggle the pivot side to side a bit to release it from the sleeve should it just be friction holding it there.

Thanks for the replies and please keep them coming. That spacer does go through the frame and into the relay arm ever so slightly. My next step is to try and thread a bolt in there and pull it out.

Canadian FJR

Thanks for the replies and please keep them coming. That spacer does go through the frame and into the relay arm ever so slightly. My next step is to try and thread a bolt in there and pull it out.

Canadian FJR
I had the same problem and found that there was plenty of grease in there and I didn't want to force anything so I pushed in some fresh grease and closed it up. That was a couple years ago and I'm planning to clean and lube the suspension parts again this winter. Please let us know how you get it out.

Canadian FJR
EDIT: Doh! Didn't see you had posted that you had it already out. Posted a whole thing on how to help. Here it is anyways.........

Mine always comes out pretty easy, but then again I completely disassemble all these suspension pivots and bearings and clean and regrease every year. Try a ton of WD40 or other solvent. If there is enough purchase a set of needle nose pliers on the outside lip to rotate it and break it loose might help.

I'm going by memory but I think what has worked for me in the past is to slide the spacer out along the bolt. (Provided it moves for you) Once the spacer is clear of the frame casting the bolt can be rotated and removed out of the way. But with the spacer in place you can't get the bolt out because of the exhaust.

The other thing that might work is getting a thin flat screwdriver (if you have one small enough) in the space between the dogbone and the frame casting and use it to push/coax the spacer out from the inside.

I dont' know if your problem is related to not being able to get things at the right angle for them to come out, or its just plain siezed.

If its just plain siezed then my general strategy is lots of solvent (WD40, penetrating oil, whatever). And I keep going back to it every day. Spray a bunch on, try and remove part. If it doesn't work come back later that night or next evening and repeat. I remember one collar I had to remove once took me about 5 days of this before it finally popped loose.

If you are _really_ skunked you might consider removing the exhaust. Its a PITA because of the extra work, but it might give you the extra space you need to work on this.

Hope this helps

Colin

Thanks for the reply. The complete swingarm, relay arm and Ohlins shock is sitting in the shop for complete rebuild. That little spacer is still seized in the frame. It does not HAVE to come out but there is no reson that it can't be removed so I'm going to work it before the time comes to reinstall. I will win this battle. :assassin:

EDIT: I got the little f*&ker out. Ha ha, I won. :yahoo:

Canadian FJR

Colin good to see you man! And since you do this every year, you should hold a workshop and invite the local FJR gentry to view / assist . I'm running 96,000km and never looked there... :(