ZION and BRYCE Canyon National Park

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got lucky. Did an IBA SaddleSore1000 on U.S.12 last Thursday. GREAT weather. Had a blast. I love that road.

Only thing was east of Boulder on 12, where you climb up to 9600' feet elevation or so, the Aspens were all bare. Thought maybe a previous fire or something, but they weren't actually burnt and there was the occasional pine scattered right in the middle of them. So, all dead because of some disease? Or just not blooming yet? That area is absolutely beautiful when they are in bloom. Not so much when they are bare.

Still, what a great ride. First time I did that and that will now be at least a once a year ride for me.
With the unseasonably cold spring we had this year the Aspen "leaf out" was delayed. Some of those aspen living at high elevations have a real short growing period, leaf out in June, leaves turn yellow and fall off in September!

Zion is my favorite. Three of us started in So. Cal, went to the grand canyon for 2 days, then to Brice for a day, and rode through Zion, and on to Vegas for the night. My wife wanted to go, but she does not have the stamina, and only rides a DRZ400sm.

Great pictures, thanks for the reminder of natures wonders!

Last edited by a moderator:
Zion is my favorite. Three of us started in So. Cal, went to the grand canyon for 2 days, then to Brice for a day, and rode through Zion, and on to Vegas for the night. My wife wanted to go, but she does not have the stamina, and only rides a DRZ400sm.

What part of socal you in? I'm in Corona

I have a DRZ400S and my wife has a KLX 250S.There should be some local FJR group rides coming up. My wife needs more wimens to ride with :D

I have a DRZ400S and my wife has a KLX 250S.There should be some local FJR group rides coming up. My wife needs more wimens to ride with :D
I live in Northridge (in the Valley). My wife prefers riding in the dirt with her CRF250X, so that is what we mostly do. Her back hurts her when riding for very long on the street, that is why I sold her SV650 and got the more upright DRZ400sm. It is fun, but maxes out at 90mph and is a bit twitchy at speed. I added a windscreen to it which helps.

Only thing was east of Boulder on 12, where you climb up to 9600' feet elevation or so, the Aspens were all bare.
With the unseasonably cold spring we had this year the Aspen "leaf out" was delayed. Some of those aspen living at high elevations have a real short growing period, leaf out in June, leaves turn yellow and fall off in September!
I noticed the bare Aspens as well when we came through there in Mid May. It seemed odd, but it sure was great for viewing getting glimpses the scenery off to the east as you enjoy one of my new favorite FJR riding roads.

If I ever do a Saddle Sore...somehow I'll combine this road with the western part of the Colorado Instate SS that was routed during NAFO 2008. :yahoo:

HEY I ride a dual sport also. would like to ride the fire roads south of corona. lets ride. or even Big Bear.

HEY I ride a dual sport also. would like to ride the fire roads south of corona. lets ride. or even Big Bear.
We did Big bear today but on the street bikes. Last weekend we did the silverwood/arrowhead loop on the dual sports. It is almost getting to hot to ride the dirt. Santiago hills above Corona are still partially closed from the rains. You can get from South Corona to Silverado Canyon but you cant get over to Ortega.

I'll let you know next time were headed out :scooter:

Here's a shot overlooking Silverwood Lake

DSC04547.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts