Stock Exhaust Modifcation with A Hole Saw & Dremel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tish

Reaction score
I was looking at aftermarket exhausts for my 2006 FJR but really like the look of the stock exhaust, yet wanted to actually hear the bike when it is running! Found this link on You Tube about the "Trooper" modification. One trip to Home Depot for an $11 hole saw and a $60 Dremel was all that I needed. The entire modification took about 10-15 mins to complete. The bike sounds great, has a much deeper growl, yet only seems to be louder under acceleration. This makes revving the engine great for a substitute horn, yet at cruising speeds I don't notice that the bike is louder. The highway ride tonight was just as before the modification, yet tearing around town was way better!

I remain firmly entrenched in the "Less is More" camp.

I prefer the smoother sound of before.

I kinda like the growl,while sitting in office.

Not so sure how I'd like it after 17 hours in the saddle though.

Me thinks I'd like to get a Remus system and have stock cans at the ready, JIC.

(like i have the bucks to do that!)

Tish...You really need to familiarize yourself with the search function on this board. The Trooper Mod was started HERE by member...Wait for it....Trooper. Haha...

There's a multipage discussion here. Lots of us have done it. Most of us like it too.

I'd like to hear one in person before I screw up my exhaust. One vid I did see/hear sounded like a lot of backfiring resulted, that's not expectable.

After testing several aftermarket exhausts I've found I like the quietness better anyway.

Loud exhaust do not save lives, only well designed helmets and riding gear.

:)

Here's another opportunity for me to go off on one of my pet--well, "peeves" is too strong, but "minor annoyances."

Suggest you go into your profile, Edit Settings option, and fill in your location. For all we know you may live nice and close. You're more than welcome to come over and listen to my Trooper mod. In Sacramento. ;)

p.s. Doesn't cause backfiring.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi y'all.

i used my hole saw to cut around the outlet....

then i rode the fjr to town on errands for a break.

when i got back (hours later cuz i took the long way)

i decided i didnt need to dremel out the tube!!

snarls when i wring it but sounds mellow when i cruise.

consider the option of a stage 1 trooper mod or stage 2 !?!

sully

I'd like to hear one in person before I screw up my exhaust. One vid I did see/hear sounded like a lot of backfiring resulted, that's not expectable.

After testing several aftermarket exhausts I've found I like the quietness better anyway.

KIEEFER,

When you do the Trooper Mod there is a burble sound, it's not a backfire but some kind of sound effect from the new exhaust pathway.

If you add the Garauld Muffler Tailcone, as I did, the exhaust is smooth and steady, no burbling and definitely no backfiring. The mod has

no effect on: tuning, fuel mileage, horsepower, nor how manly you look to the girls at the stoplights.

It's simply a way to get a slight increase in throatyness in the exhaust without spending $500 plus for a new exhaust. The ONLY downside

is that once you make the mod there is no going back, short of getting a new stock exhaust. So far, I've not read anyone who regretted

making the mod.

So Far.

I think the reason you heard a 'burble' on the 'after' exhaust was because the engine was cooler and the warm-up 'interrupter' was being evoked by the computer (towards the end of the modified exhaust the burble was gone; engine coolant had heated up enough to eliminate the warm-up mode). That being said, put me down for the 'stealth' mode stock system.

I liked the sound of a singer sewing machine also... Till I heard a JUKI..
Dude, I AM impressed! I'll bet there's not a handful of picklediks on this forum ever even HEARD of a Juki...much less know it's a brand of sewing machine!

BRAVO! :D
<Thread hi-jack in progress>

In a former life I serviced and repaired Singer and Juki sewing machines.

A properly timed Juki was indeed amazing: 5 threads in, about 3,000 stitches

a minute out. It could seam fabric faster than you could feed it.

<We now return you to your regularly scheduled program>

KIEEFER,

When you do the Trooper Mod there is a burble sound, it's not a backfire but some kind of sound effect from the new exhaust pathway.

If you add the Garauld Muffler Tailcone, as I did, the exhaust is smooth and steady, no burbling and definitely no backfiring. The mod has

no effect on: tuning, fuel mileage, horsepower, nor how manly you look to the girls at the stoplights.

It's simply a way to get a slight increase in throatyness in the exhaust without spending $500 plus for a new exhaust. The ONLY downside

is that once you make the mod there is no going back, short of getting a new stock exhaust. So far, I've not read anyone who regretted

making the mod.

So Far.

Thanks.

My headers are gutted so I might get a different sound. I tried bunch of cans and the Dale Walkers were the ones I liked the best but after a while I got tired of them. I suspect I'd get tired to this too so I guess I better remain stealth.

I liked the sound of a singer sewing machine also... Till I heard a JUKI..
Dude, I AM impressed! I'll bet there's not a handful of picklediks on this forum ever even HEARD of a Juki...much less know it's a brand of sewing machine!

BRAVO! :D

Thanks pisswhistle, I was a supervisor in an upholstery department for 5 years. I learned a bit about "sewing" machines. ;)

An yer right SLK.. Nothing runs like a Juki.

Hey that was my video, I am glad it helped you out. I have really liked the Trooper mod on my feejer too. I actually learned about the mod on here and decided to put together a video on how I did it. Honestly, if you can fall off a log you can do this mod.

Cheers,

Kevin

RiderGroups.com

I was looking at aftermarket exhausts for my 2006 FJR but really like the look of the stock exhaust, yet wanted to actually hear the bike when it is running! Found this link on You Tube about the "Trooper" modification. One trip to Home Depot for an $11 hole saw and a $60 Dremel was all that I needed. The entire modification took about 10-15 mins to complete. The bike sounds great, has a much deeper growl, yet only seems to be louder under acceleration. This makes revving the engine great for a substitute horn, yet at cruising speeds I don't notice that the bike is louder. The highway ride tonight was just as before the modification, yet tearing around town was way better!

Latest posts