Drive mode switching

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim oneill

triplex
Reaction score
i could change from t mode to s mode while the bike was moving on my 2013 FJR but in reading the manual on my new 2015 I read that I should not change the mode while moving

Is that correct?

As long as you pull clutch in while moving, switching modes is not an issue.

While stopped, you can do it without clutch.

i could change from t mode to s mode while the bike was moving on my 2013 FJR but in reading the manual on my new 2015 I read that I should not change the mode while moving
Is that correct?
Odd it says that, but doesn't explain why. I've been changing my 2014 with the throttle closed without any apparent issues for a year now.

Closing the throttle is all that is required to switch. Doesn't matter if you're moving or not. What Yamaha is stating, with it being a little used switch and may have to look down to properly locate it, which they do not want us doing,, they are removing themselves from liability and trying to make us safer at same time. Hence, come to a stop.

As long as you pull clutch in while moving, switching modes is not an issue.While stopped, you can do it without clutch.

You can do it with the clutch out while moving also. The *only* requirement for switching modes is that the throttle is closed.

I asked a member of the demo team, it was explained to me that as long as the engine isn't under load (no throttle), you can flip the switch.

Personally, I find it easier to just pull in the clutch so I'm not dealing with a bike under braking while I get my right thumb over to the switch. Then again, after riding in sport mode so long and being used to the snappiness of the throttle response, I have a hard time going to touring mode...

I should clarify: When I said I have a hard time going to Touring, I meant that I really, really, REALLY prefer Sport mode. I have no problem with the physical act itself. :D

I should clarify: When I said I have a hard time going to Touring, I meant that I really, really, REALLY prefer Sport mode. I have no problem with the physical act itself.
biggrin.png
Bingo! I have no use for T mode. I used to use it some when tired and in slow city traffic; I felt throttle / clutch coordination was easier. But I've tried T lately, and it's just irritating ;)

FWIW, when I did use it I just closed the throttle and punched the lever.

I guess I have get used to sport mode in the curves. I have the bike around 5-7k if I'm running the curves, and Tmode is plenty snappy then. If I'm on the straights or around town, I really don't rail too hard, so Tmode is fine. It helps keep me from speeding and acting like a jackass.

If I'm up at 5-7k in the curves, I just need a little more time with Smode to get comfortable with it. I haven't ridden much in the last year, so I'm sure I'll get comfortable with it. I am a little hamfisted, so I usually like a little more rotation in the throttle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ride it the way you're comfortable with it Wheatie. I've broken my right wrist and hand so many times that I have limited mobility in my throttle hand. S mode lets me ride with less wrist movement. I think it's pretty nice that we get a choice.

I tend to use T mode when two-up to keep the gear transitions smoother. You know when you are opening throttle but a passenger doesn't, so less surprises for them. And T mode is nice in wet conditions for the same reason. But for backroads S mode adds smiles to the miles.

Then again, after riding in sport mode so long and being used to the snappiness of the throttle response, I have a hard time going to touring mode...
There is that aspect about Sport mode, no question. When I first picked up the Gen III, I left the bike in 'Touring' mode for about 10 months. I got 10,300 miles out of the rear OEM Bridgestone - almost unheard of up until then.

One good reason to use Touring mode is for tire longevity. Should you be on a long road trip and notice the rear tire is melting away faster than anticipated, you could switch to Touring mode to stretch out treadlife, only switching to Sport mode when truly necessary (mountains, passing, etc)

<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-cid="1240645" data-author="Warchild"><p><br /></p><blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-cid="1240431" data-author="DeSudet"><p>Then again, after riding in sport mode so long and being used to the snappiness of the throttle response, I have a hard time going to touring mode...</p></blockquote> <br />There is that aspect about Sport mode, no question. When I first picked up the Gen III, I left the bike in 'Touring' mode for about 10 months. I got 10,300 miles out of the rear OEM Bridgestone - almost unheard of up until then.<br /> <br />One good reason to use Touring mode is for tire longevity. Should you be on a long road trip and notice the rear tire is melting away faster than anticipated, you could switch to Touring mode to stretch out treadlife, only switching to Sport mode when truly necessary (mountains, passing, etc)<br /><br /

Warchild is definitely on the mark. If you want to get maximum tire wear you will want to use T mode as much a possible without taking all the fun out of your sport tourer. I got almost 10K out of the OEM tires. I would have run them longer but the rear tire was down to the wear bars. The front had almost half tread remaining.<br /> <br /><p><br /></p></blockquote>

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm up at 5-7k in the curves, I just need a little more time with Smode to get comfortable with it. I haven't ridden much in the last year, so I'm sure I'll get comfortable with it. I am a little hamfisted, so I usually like a little more rotation in the throttle.
Give Sport mode a shot Mark. In the mountain twisties it makes for an enjoyable ride!

--G