earfuze review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee B.

Reaction score
Santa brought me the earfuze custom headphones and I was able to try them out today.

It's a bit chilly here in KC today and my seat is off at Spencers getting reworked so the tryout was not on the bike.

I first tried out the ear phones/buds that came with the package from earfuze. in my ipod classic they sounded like they were lacking bass when compared to the buds that came with the ipod. It was not a huge difference but there was a difference. I decided that I'd try them with my ipod buds instead of the ones from ear fuze. This may have been a mistake but probably not a large mistake.

The kit I got had a trial run set up so you can try it out w/o using it on a ear bud. I mixed it up and applied/installed it in my ear and it was easy and set up nicely. It came out easily but not too easily and went back in fine. The fit was great.

I then put in my ipod buds and hooked up the ipod and mixed up the real run of material and installed it in my ears. Again, it worked well and no surprises. As soon as I had both ears done and the music on I noticed that my ipod buds were a little heavy on the bass now. This is where I might have made a mistake. If the silicone material adds to the bass sound or feeling then maybe the stock buds in the package might have been fine.

The sound is still good, though and the ear fuzes dampen a lot of the other sound out. It isn't total. If you turn off the ipod you can hear others talking but it is definitely dampened.

I then tried on my helmets to see how they felt. The Nolan I have is made for a more slender/oval head and it hurt my ears with the ear fuzes in. I won't be able to wear them with that helmet but honestly that helmet hurts my ears after about 45 minutes. I have worn ear plugs w/the Nolan and it doesn't make it any worse. It is just not a good fit for my head.

My HJC helmet is a wider helmet and for a more round head. No pain with the fuzes in but I only had the helmet on for a few minutes. It might be a different story when I do a longer ride with them later.

They are a good fit and are custom molded to your ears but when the helmet came off one of the fuzes came out. Not a big deal and maybe could have been prevented if I had removed the helmet with more care.

All in all I'm satisfied with reservations. The reservations are due to that fact that I have yet to field test them with either running or on the bike or motorcycle.

I've got custom molded plugs, and love them. I wish I gotten them with the headphones built in, but I cheaped out. I may try this system, the price certainely seems good, even if I only used them mowing the lawn.

My question is, as long as I'm being cheap, :glare: , do you think the practice ear stuff and storage bag were worth the ten dollar difference between the Regulars and the Fuzelites? It's not going to break me, but I thought I'd ask.

I've got custom molded plugs, and love them. I wish I gotten them with the headphones built in, but I cheaped out. I may try this system, the price certainely seems good, even if I only used them mowing the lawn.
My question is, as long as I'm being cheap, :glare: , do you think the practice ear stuff and storage bag were worth the ten dollar difference between the Regulars and the Fuzelites? It's not going to break me, but I thought I'd ask.
the bag is nothing special. I would probably lean more to finding a hard shell small box that they'd both fit in. That way I don't have to worry about them getting crushed and maybe bent in my luggage, tank bag, etc.

the practice one was sort of nice to have but in hindsight I didn't learn anything from the trial run that helped me on the real deal. I just followed the instructions and watched the web site video and had everything ready. The lotion ready to help smooth it out was a nice tip.

I'd say save your money unless you are really unsure about your ability to quickly and effectively mold the stuff into your ear.

I bought the Earfuzes, too. I haven't yet tried them on a ride, but I suspect that my ear isn't ideal for them. They don't fit as tightly or securely as I would've expected. Not bad, but so far, I'm more pleased with my Etymotic's - also purchased based on recommendations on this site.

Happy New Year!

Barry

I was just walking thru wallmart & noticed a set of these https://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?ope...mp;pc^np^KEB24b , i figured i needed a new set for my portable CD player (did i say that , i mean iPOD) . Well on my way home i stopped & decieded to plug them into my Street pilot & wow did they sound great & i know it`s not the same as riding on my bike but i had to lower the volume on the GPS & ear buds. I`ll try them on the bike soon & will let you know (if it ever gets 1/2 way nice out) BRRRR

Last edited by a moderator:
Any recent reviews while on your FJR?

Also, I'm interested in how much sound they block in comparison to how much wind noise you usually have without them.

i.e.: I'm 6'2" and my +2+2 windshield full up with my seat on the lower position gives me very little wind noise.

I use the ones got from Best Buy Skull Candy. They do dampen sound too, at least in my case. I can hear some outside noise but not much, no wind noise. It works well for $20.00. I did get the Earfuzes but at Christmas my son commandeered them, and he hears no external noise to speak off. I have to yell at him if he is not looking at me to hear, so they seem effective.

Last edited by a moderator: