10000 mile impressions from new FJR owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockiedog2

Reaction score
I am a FNG and realize that anything I say will be looked at with suspicion, justifiably. I also am aware of how easy it is to get into deep s*** here, and be forced to endure stinging public rebuke and unmerciful humiliation, so it is with some apprenhension that I write my impressions of the FJR after 10000 miles...emphasizing that I realize that anything negative that I might say about this forum's beloved FJR must be because of some sort of personality/physical defect.

This is my 2up/long trip bike. I made 2 trips on it this summer...the first 2500 miles as a sort of shake down cruise and the 2nd a 7000 mile/21 day trip out west, both with my traveling buddy Ellen, who weighs 98 pounds and is tough as nails. I replaced a Valkyrie with it cause I was tired of the weight/bulk/low speed handling. The FJR is sooo much easier to handle and in that respect I am perfectly happy with it.

I bought an AE cause it was cheap and that has turned out to be fine also, altho I didn't like it at first...my daily ride is a KLR and the clutch on it seems old fashioned and primitive now...for what I do the AE is fine, I never give that a thought anymore. Yeah it's not traditional or macho and won't make a good dragster but I don't care about any of that. The gas mileage has gradually increased from a 2up 70/75mph gps(75/80 speedo) of 36-38 mpg to 40-42 mpg. That's ok for such a rocket ship. The Valkyrie got 34 or so. Much better. The handling in general is addictive, as is the power. I like it that it's tuned for low and midrange torque. I really like the long range...I needed to be at the gas pump at 125 miles before. All in all, performance, handling, brakes, reliability and economy I am happy as hell.

My problems with it are mostly comfort/convenience related. The first trip we made with it bone stock except for Zumo 550, Starcom, and sliders, making note of what needed changing. I am 6' 1" and long in the leg(pity that's not the case with everything) and 190...so I lowered the pegs 1.5 inches, also put one of the fancy $300 top clamps on it to get the bars back nearer to where I wanted them...altho they are still too forward for my liking. Added a V Stream w/s, highway pegs, Throttle Meister, Cramp Buster, G2 Throttle Tamer, ECU upgrade for altitude sensor, Centech fuse block, and Gerbing hookups. Ellen's butt hurt so I cut up the back seat and put in Temperfoam inserts...I am ok with the stock front seat. I got the slack out of the throttle cables and adjusted the idle which made a huge difference in the driveability of the AE.

Then we took off for California on the 7000 mile trip. We used to do quite a few 600 mile days but don't now and this is the most obvious difference when riding the FJR. There isn't obvious discomfort while riding, but I find myself stopping way more often and taking longer breaks, and shutting down earlier, and more tired at the end of the day. Our max comfortable range per day has been reduced from 600 to about 500. Altho I seemingly adjusted to it by about 5000 total miles, it still just doesn't fit me and I don't think there is much more that can reasonably be done to it for that...short of longer cables and lines and radical repositioning of the handlebars/pegs.

The other thing that is so obvious is that the little things aren't convenient...there aren't many little spots to stuff things near to hand; there isn't any place much to attach bungees; it's just a little too clean for that; for me that sort of thing matters on a long trip and it gets annoying as hell to have to dig for everything in a stuffed tank bag.

The Yamaha luggage, particularly the sideboxes are just a POS, in my opinion. The sideopener design is part of the problem, the insert bags are way too stiff/thick/heavy and get hung in the lid when closing; the hinges are weak seeming and the lid has to be lifted to close, and the key only opening became a major PITA.

It's in the shop now, torn down, getting more mods...convenience and comfort related mostly. Did the Throttle Return Spring mod, took out the locking solenoid for the tiny little glove box, FZ-1 mirrors on order, installing one of Catfish's dash shelves to try to get things closer to hand, disconnected the retarded w/s auto retract, concentrating on reducing the hassle factor, getting the thing ready for E and I to ride it to Alaska come May. I guess 500 miles/day will be ok.

Best,

Joe

[SIZE=8pt]Admin Edit: Introduced paragraph breaks to prevent eye-bleeds.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
emphasizing that I realize that anything negative that I might say about this forum's beloved FJR must be because of some sort of personality/physical defect.
I guess the royalties from playing the Banjo on Deliverance were pretty good huh!?

Seriously, over the last 30 years, I've probably had at least 20 bikes. Not one was even remotely close to perfect. Some I just rode as is, others, changed what I could, and still others I spent quite a bit of cashola making them better. Its all about priorities and what your willing to accept as defiencies. The FJR comes as close to perfect for what I deem imporant than any other bike I've ever ridden. Ergonomic and convenience features can be addressed to a point, as you've seen.

Basically, if you don't like it, move on, if you do, adapt. Regardless, hike up your panties and do what you need to do.

Their, that was pretty painless wasn't it?

I am a FNG and realize that anything I say will be looked at with suspicion, justifiably. I also am aware of how easy it is to get into deep s*** here, and be forced to endure stinging public rebuke and unmerciful humiliation, so it is with some apprenhension that I write my impressions of the FJR after 10000 miles...emphasizing that I realize that anything negative that I might say about this forum's beloved FJR must be because of some sort of personality/physical defect.This is my 2up/long trip bike. I made 2 trips on it this summer...the first 2500 miles as a sort of shake down cruise and the 2nd a 7000 mile/21 day trip out west, both with my traveling buddy Ellen, who weighs 98 pounds and is tough as nails. I replaced a Valkyrie with it cause I was tired of the weight/bulk/low speed handling. The FJR is sooo much easier to handle and in that respect I am perfectly happy with it. I bought an AE cause it was cheap and that has turned out to be fine also, altho I didn't like it at first...my daily ride is a KLR and the clutch on it seems old fashioned and primitive now...for what I do the AE is fine, I never give that a thought anymore. Yeah it's not traditional or macho and won't make a good dragster but I don't care about any of that. The gas mileage has gradually increased from a 2up 70/75mph gps(75/80 speedo) of 36-38 mpg to 40-42 mpg. That's ok for such a rocket ship. The Valkyrie got 34 or so. Much better. The handling in general is addictive, as is the power. I like it that it's tuned for low and midrange torque. I really like the long range...I needed to be at the gas pump at 125 miles before. All in all, performance, handling, brakes, reliability and economy I am happy as hell.

My problems with it are mostly comfort/convenience related. The first trip we made with it bone stock except for Zumo 550, Starcom, and sliders, making note of what needed changing. I am 6' 1" and long in the leg(pity that's not the case with everything) and 190...so I lowered the pegs 1.5 inches, also put one of the fancy $300 top clamps on it to get the bars back nearer to where I wanted them...altho they are still too forward for my liking. Added a V Stream w/s, highway pegs, Throttle Meister, Cramp Buster, G2 Throttle Tamer, ECU upgrade for altitude sensor, Centech fuse block, and Gerbing hookups. Ellen's butt hurt so I cut up the back seat and put in Temperfoam inserts...I am ok with the stock front seat. I got the slack out of the throttle cables and adjusted the idle which made a huge difference in the driveability of the AE. Then we took off for California on the 7000 mile trip. We used to do quite a few 600 mile days but don't now and this is the most obvious difference when riding the FJR. There isn't obvious discomfort while riding, but I find myself stopping way more often and taking longer breaks, and shutting down earlier, and more tired at the end of the day. Our max comfortable range per day has been reduced from 600 to about 500. Altho I seemingly adjusted to it by about 5000 total miles, it still just doesn't fit me and I don't think there is much more that can reasonably be done to it for that...short of longer cables and lines and radical repositioning of the handlebars/pegs. The other thing that is so obvious is that the little things aren't convenient...there aren't many little spots to stuff things near to hand; there isn't any place much to attach bungees; it's just a little too clean for that; for me that sort of thing matters on a long trip and it gets annoying as hell to have to dig for everything in a stuffed tank bag. The Yamaha luggage, particularly the sideboxes are just a POS, in my opinion. The sideopener design is part of the problem, the insert bags are way too stiff/thick/heavy and get hung in the lid when closing; the hinges are weak seeming and the lid has to be lifted to close, and the key only opening became a major PITA.

It's in the shop now, torn down, getting more mods...convenience and comfort related mostly. Did the Throttle Return Spring mod, took out the locking solenoid for the tiny little glove box, FZ-1 mirrors on order, installing one of Catfish's dash shelves to try to get things closer to hand, disconnected the retarded w/s auto retract, concentrating on reducing the hassle factor, getting the thing ready for E and I to ride it to Alaska come May. I guess 500 miles/day will be ok.

Best,

Joe
Joe I know what your saying about some of the issues with the bike. For me it is the wind turbulance, and I,m on my fourth screen. I hope the v-stream is what I am searching for. By the way I'm 5'9, and have the corbin so I sit a little deeper in the bike. As far as traveling, after one month ofownership and the first oil change my girlfriend and I took a trip to niagara falls and to toronto from long island NY. Pretty much stock set up except for the cal-sci screen. 8 hours going up and nine coming back. Averaged 80 to 100mph, no lie, we were flying. Very open road and little trafic. I will be adding a few more items to personalize my ride and more importantly hope the v-stream is as good as some say it is.

Mike.........

Alaska is one great adventure. With three trips there I would not recommend planning on 500 mile days. Once into Canada there is just too many things to see. A slower pace will allow taking advantage of anything that pops up along the way. Unless you plan to camp out, I'd make reservations ahead of time, then there is no pressure to get some place to find a motel.

Longrider

Any bike that I would have to put that much work into to and still hate would be on it's way out post haste. I had a BMW RT that I was totally enamored with, put out a lot of coin to buy, and hated it in 2 months. Broke down and left me stranded (under warranty thankfully) in month 2. Bye Bye BMW. I really like some of the bikes BMW makes, but until I can trust them again, no way.

Criticize away, I get bored with "this is the best bike" stuff after a while, that ain't where the education lies, but seriously dude, I would be moving on.

ps: I really like my essentially stock AE, and I do 20k a year.

Your daily ride is a KLR <_< that speaks for it self, I won't elaborate, and your lenghty comments on how hard it is to use the side bag liners. WTF? Things are tough all over these days I guess. :blink:

61355684_1e1b26a29a.jpg

My contribution to the "Buy the FNG a FNK" fund...since the "return" key on his current keyboard is obviously broken.

Or.....

par·a·graph

n.

A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

61355684_1e1b26a29a.jpg

My contribution to the "Buy the FNG a FNK" fund...since the "return" key on his current keyboard is obviously broken.

Or.....

par·a·graph

n.

A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Look it was right til I hit the add reply button and it came out on the forum screwed up like it is. I agree...WTF? Beats me.

Joe

Any bike that I would have to put that much work into to and still hate would be on it's way out post haste. I had a BMW RT that I was totally enamored with, put out a lot of coin to buy, and hated it in 2 months. Broke down and left me stranded (under warranty thankfully) in month 2. Bye Bye BMW. I really like some of the bikes BMW makes, but until I can trust them again, no way.
Criticize away, I get bored with "this is the best bike" stuff after a while, that ain't where the education lies, but seriously dude, I would be moving on.

ps: I really like my essentially stock AE, and I do 20k a year.
Nope. Not giving up on it yet. Will rig it as best I can and make this Alaska trip and might get something else then if I still have the same issues with it...and if I still have any money after the meltdown

Joe

Your daily ride is a KLR <_< that speaks for it self, I won't elaborate, and your lenghty comments on how hard it is to use the side bag liners. WTF? Things are tough all over these days I guess. :blink:
Ahh the KLR now that's a real bike. Put 24000 miles on mine the last 12 months. It's like my brother. I really don't think I am gonna be able to bond like that with the FJR, but am trying.

Anybody wanta buy my sidebag liners...I don't use them anymore. Been used on one trip. Like near new. May smell a little like perfume.

Joe

I've learned to adapt to the new riding position of a new bike before changing things.

It takes me at least a couple thousand miles to settle in enough to start trying to change things. At 6'-4" I would have guessed that a few changes would be needed. Actually all I needed was a cramp buster and a tall wind shield. The rest of my mods are farkles or wants. :D

I really needed lower pegs on my Honda ST and it sucked in the curves. I'm so glad I don't need them on the FJR. My body settled into the FJR quickly, my first ride was 120 miles, second ride was 600 miles in one day and my back wasn't hurting coming from a Honda ST, just my but. Its the best bike I've owned for my type of sport touring. My bike has smoothed out and all is good. I don't like the bag's locking lever either but, it does work so far. I love the bag liners, very good quality.

Sounds like your more of a "touring" rider, maybe the FJR will work for you with all the bolt on comfort stuff. But it sounds like it may be too sporty for yah. Perhaps a BMW RT?

After being a dual sport / long range tour rider I've found I actually prefer the sporty side of ST's. The cruiser riding position never worked for me, I rather have a mild forward lean and tuck in behind the big Cal-Sci in smooth air. It took me about 5K for my body to actually like the ST riding position. I went through three bikes in the last two years and now I wished I had bought the bike I wanted two years ago.... the 06 FJR. :fool:

Oh well I got a great deal on the left over 07.

emphasizing that I realize that anything negative that I might say about this forum's beloved FJR must be because of some sort of personality/physical defect.
I guess the royalties from playing the Banjo on Deliverance were pretty good huh!?

Seriously, over the last 30 years, I've probably had at least 20 bikes. Not one was even remotely close to perfect. Some I just rode as is, others, changed what I could, and still others I spent quite a bit of cashola making them better. Its all about priorities and what your willing to accept as defiencies. The FJR comes as close to perfect for what I deem imporant than any other bike I've ever ridden. Ergonomic and convenience features can be addressed to a point, as you've seen.

Basically, if you don't like it, move on, if you do, adapt. Regardless, hike up your panties and do what you need to do.

Their, that was pretty painless wasn't it?
Thanks for being gentle.

That was a great movie wasn't it. My favorite part was where they made the fat boy squeal like a pig.

61355684_1e1b26a29a.jpg

What the Hell Howie?? Ya get triple value on the recyclables?? A Hunnert Bucks? I think ya owe my a grand, seeins how we lived in the same trailer park at one time. ;)

Dik.

:jester:

Latest posts