10000 mile impressions from new FJR owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
61355684_1e1b26a29a.jpg

My contribution to the "Buy the FNG a FNK" fund...since the "return" key on his current keyboard is obviously broken.
What the Hell Howie?? Ya get triple value on the recyclables?? A Hunnert Bucks? I think ya owe my a grand, seeins how we lived in the same trailer park at one time. ;)

Dik.

:jester:
Go ahead...download the one I posted and take half as down payment.

Besides, ya cheap bastiche, IIRC your Aunt and Uncle owned that park? You prolly lived there for free, ya trailer trash post whore! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Criticize away, I get bored with "this is the best bike" stuff after a while, that ain't where the education lies,

I agree with the above quote! I think we tend to gravitate towards "the awesome wonder of such a perfect machine" a little to much.

Maybe a thread for ways Yamaha could make an even more perfect FJR? This would at least save future generations money on all the extra number of falkles. Lords knows our children and grandchildren will have enough worries trying to pay back the huge financial bail out money while I'm riding on my 05 FJR and enjoying retirement! :yahoo:

No bike is all around perfect, and the FJR is no exception; however, it's a great bike for what it is, IMHO.

Mistakes:

1) You bought an AE

2) You took it on a long ride with the stock seat.

3) You bought an AE

Scabs photo helps put this into perspective.

Loser.jpg

I just noticed that I was upgraded to training pilot from FNG. Well, this means that I get more respect right?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This is perfect Friday fodder.... :blink:

J sorry this was just too much fun to pass up. Enjoy your ride and the forum. ;)

I just noticed that I was upgraded to training pilot from FNG. Well, this means that I get more respect right?
Shyeah.... how's that working for ya so far? :lol:

Welcome to the forum. Loser. ;) :D

Don't worry, Joe, relax in knowing that the AE's are to the FJR world what the DL650 is to the V-Strom world.

<ba-dum dum>

There... that should fix things up for a bit...... B)

2) You took it on a long ride with the stock seat

Bluesman

Actually this may be the most useful suggestion of the whole thread...my Valkyrie had a Corbin seatset on it and my KLR has a custom homemade seat on it. Both were/are really good. No complaints whatsoever. Even tho the stock seat isn't noticeably uncomfortable, it could be contributing more to the fatigue than I realize. Thanks. I might do something with that.

Joe

New Training Pilot

Joe - I had a Corbin and it was too hard for me. I bought a used Bill Mayer seat, love it.

Do a search for other opinions and other seats, there are many.

Good luck. :)

I also PM'd you.

....The Yamaha luggage, particularly the sideboxes are just a POS, in my opinion. The sideopener design is part of the problem, the insert bags are way too stiff/thick/heavy and get hung in the lid when closing; the hinges are weak seeming and the lid has to be lifted to close, and the key only opening became a major PITA....

Wow, I find the sidecases a joy to use on trips. The liners work fine for us. My wife gets one bag and I get the other.

Never had a problem with the bags getting "hung in the lid" or any major problem even when they are a bit over packed shoving them in and closing the lids. Guess we just know how to pack.

The key only opening is not a problem unless you are trying to open the bag while riding? The fact that we can run into a resturaunt to eat and not worry about the bags getting hijacked is a plus to me. You could always just get a few copies of your key made and leave them in the locks. Thieves will love that.

KM

61355684_1e1b26a29a.jpg

My contribution to the "Buy the FNG a FNK" fund...since the "return" key on his current keyboard is obviously broken.
What the Hell Howie?? Ya get triple value on the recyclables?? A Hunnert Bucks? I think ya owe my a grand, seeins how we lived in the same trailer park at one time. ;)

Dik.

Besides, ya cheap bastiche, IIRC your Aunt and Uncle owned that park? You prolly lived there for free, ya trailer trash post whore! :rofl:
K, lets try this again

Lived there for free??? Bull sheet!!

They paid my handsome ass to stay there!!! Why, a good lookin young stud like myself pulled them carnie women in like a hound attractin Fleas!! I had to practically beat them off!! Best years they had was when my pretty butt was down there............

Oh and the half I downloaded? a damn fake it was. I owe the bank $15.00 in bounced check fees.

Bastage!

61355684_1e1b26a29a.jpg

Dik.

K, lets try this again

They paid my handsome ass to stay there!!! Why, a good lookin young stud like myself pulled them carnie women in like a hound attractin Fleas!! I had to practically beat them off!! Best years they had was when my pretty butt was down there............

Oh and the half I downloaded? a damn fake it was. I owe the bank $15.00 in bounced check fees.

Bastage!

I'm 6'3 and I have stacked risers, lowered footpegs and a aftermarket seat. I think i have close to the perfect bike now..lol.

Sold your valk? ouch. I'm keeping mine, pefect for 2 up cruising , and a future collectible.

OK 87doodle. Ya been here a year, posted 100 plus times...

What the hell was that all aboot? :dribble: PWI perchance?

61355684_1e1b26a29a.jpg

Dik.

K, lets try this again

Bastage!

you guys are trashing up the thread

I'm 6'3 and I have stacked risers, lowered footpegs and a aftermarket seat. I think i have close to the perfect bike now..lol.

Sold your valk? ouch. I'm keeping mine, pefect for 2 up cruising , and a future collectible.

I had intended to stack a pair of risers on the of the (unmentionable) top clamp but the brake line is too short...I may get a longer one made up...it looks like the cables will be long enough. I think it would make a difference for me.

I miss the Valkyrie. It was rigged out perfect for our use but I have too much stuff to keep up. I don't think I will find a more comfortable bike for me. I am spoiled by it but at least I realize it.

Thx Joe

....The Yamaha luggage, particularly the sideboxes are just a POS, in my opinion. The sideopener design is part of the problem, the insert bags are way too stiff/thick/heavy and get hung in the lid when closing; the hinges are weak seeming and the lid has to be lifted to close, and the key only opening became a major PITA....

Wow, I find the sidecases a joy to use on trips. The liners work fine for us. My wife gets one bag and I get the other.

Never had a problem with the bags getting "hung in the lid" or any major problem even when they are a bit over packed shoving them in and closing the lids. Guess we just know how to pack.

The key only opening is not a problem unless you are trying to open the bag while riding? The fact that we can run into a resturaunt to eat and not worry about the bags getting hijacked is a plus to me. You could always just get a few copies of your key made and leave them in the locks. Thieves will love that.

KM
Right. Thanks. I stuck keys in all the locks about midtrip and just left them there except at night. We don't take anything much with us that is any good or that can't be replaced at Wally World enroute so don't worry very much about thieves. We use net bags from Wal Mart to pack in now...light, cheap, see thru, stuffable, works good for us. Thanks again

Joe

Joe

Geeze, if after 10k and all those add-ons, the bike is still not comfortable, it may be time to just sell it and move on. There's really no point in being miserable. There are so many bikes out there, something should fit the way you need. Depending on you though, all of them may take some type of adjustment. I ride for the enjoyment of it. If my bike made me mad, I would get rid of it and get something that I enjoyed.

Seriously, have you considered a Goldwing or a BMW K1200LT? They are both comfortable bikes and have the capability to be pretty sporty despite their sizes...Going from a Valkyrie to an FJR was a big move. Maybe in the wrong direction.

An deservedly so. I can't believe it's still active. In fact I'm ashamed of myself for contributing.

If it wasn't for Howie I'da never came back.

Eat a cok Howie! Damn you for enabling me to tarnish my name and.... reputation!! asswipe!

:p

An deservedly so. I can't believe it's still active. In fact I'm ashamed of myself for contributing.

If it wasn't for Howie I'da never came back.

Eat a cok Howie! Damn you for enabling me to tarnish my name and.... reputation!! asswipe!

:p

...Why, a good lookin young stud like myself pulled them carnie women in like a hound attractin Fleas!! I had to practically beat them off!!
I bet it wasn't just them carnie dames you was beatin' off! :fuck:

Now, let's go trash another thread 'fore Iggy catches us. :)

But to actually contribute to this thread, I've got to agree with a concensus being proposed here that after 10k miles, if the OP still isn't comfortable, something else is wrong.

When I bought my '04 in '05, I was coming off 2 years and 30K hard miles on my ZRX. Anyone who's every owned a Kaw knows KHI doesn't have a fucking clue how to make a comfortable seat. I've never owned a Kaw that wasn't torture, but after plopping down the $$ for a Sargeant, it positively transformed the ZRex. After moving over to the Feej, I thought it was an absolute punishment from God at first, until I put the stock seat back on my Kaw and rode it for a few weeks. Compared to THAT, the Feej is a Barcalounger.

Now, I can put in a 1000 mile day without blinking an eye, but I always ride with a ready source of Aleve in my side bag. 57K miles later in 2+ years and I don't even notice the pain. :)

Oh, Busta....honk my weasel!

Geeze, if after 10k and all those add-ons, the bike is still not comfortable, it may be time to just sell it and move on. There's really no point in being miserable. There are so many bikes out there, something should fit the way you need. Depending on you though, all of them may take some type of adjustment. I ride for the enjoyment of it. If my bike made me mad, I would get rid of it and get something that I enjoyed.
Seriously, have you considered a Goldwing or a BMW K1200LT? They are both comfortable bikes and have the capability to be pretty sporty despite their sizes...Going from a Valkyrie to an FJR was a big move. Maybe in the wrong direction.
Guys

Thanks for all the replies...

Knowing that like airplanes, all bikes are a compromise, I am gonna keep tweaking this thing and ride the hell out of it. There is too much to like about it to give up on it

Thanks again

Joe