'13 A&S Clutch retrofit?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for doing the leg work on this. I just ordered my parts to do this clutch upgrade. The parts are cheap enough right now. (just over $300 all in). Who knows when Mamma Yamma figures out what we are up to and starts raising the parts pricing?

This upgrade may be happening to my '15 too, I have already skid the rear wheel several times while riding quite aggressively. Funny, my '04 wasn't nearly as prone to this. Then again, I'm still on OEM tires.....

^^^^^^ I'm guessing your commute isn't quite the same combat experience that mine is. Compounding the situation is being a type AAA+++ aggressive driver. I am that asshole everyone hates :) The sound of horns and flashing of fingers in my direction is pretty common.

^^^^^^ I'm guessing your commute isn't quite the same combat experience that mine is. Compounding the situation is being a type AAA+++ aggressive driver. I am that asshole everyone hates
smile.png
The sound of horns and flashing of fingers in my direction is pretty common.
:)

And when will we be seeing 1/4 mile times for a 15?

^^^^^^ I'm guessing your commute isn't quite the same combat experience that mine is. Compounding the situation is being a type AAA+++ aggressive driver. I am that asshole everyone hates :) The sound of horns and flashing of fingers in my direction is pretty common.
:)

And when will we be seeing 1/4 mile times for a 15?
Alan?

:D

1/4 mile times at 5k rpm aren't very impressive. At least let the guy finish breaking the damn thing in, eh? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to ride together. :D
This upgrade may be happening to my '15 too, I have already skid the rear wheel several times while riding quite aggressively. Funny, my '04 wasn't nearly as prone to this. Then again, I'm still on OEM tires.....
It's tires I think...or the Sport mode...

The video might have been about 42 minutes too long, maybe..... :) OTOH, I've been in there enough times to know about catching the ball bearing, although I wouldn't have known about doing both tabs of the lockwasher.

At one point he referred to the clutch boss as the basket, which made my ears perk up, because the basket is that even bigger piece that doesn't come out. if you had to change the basket, too, there'd be a lot fewer people wanting to do this, as parts that need to be timed are involved with that coming out, as the basket drives the rear balancer. So ignore the word "basket" and substitute the word "boss."

But 300 bucks isn't worth it to me for a little bit lighter, even a lot lighter lever effort. It's nice to see it done, though, and know that it can be done.

I did not actually watch the entire video. I've replaced plenty pf clutches before (including baskets) so the work involved is not particular daunting (to me). But having the parts list (of course I triple checked it), the recommended place to order (I checked and they are the cheapest I could find) and the confirmation that everything fits, was very welcome. So yes, Kaeleria, thanks to you for being the early adopter.

I not only want the lighter lever effort, but I also want the improved clutch grip of the assist, and the slipper function on fast and aggressive downshifts. The slipper function won't mean diddly when tooling around on city streets, but when you are out flexing the sport side of the bike it should be quite a nice feature. As for $300 being too much dosh, it's a whole lot less than how much more a 2016 would be. Just sayin'

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep the vid is more for those that have never picked up a wrench for sure (I make sure that's clear in the vid too). If you know the procedure already the only important part for you will be bending BOTH tabs instead of one and you'll be good! Skip to the end few minutes to see it in action if you want an idea of how the slipper reacts.

You would have to compare the part numbers as has been done for the 2013-2015 3rd Gens, but there should be no major reason that this wouldn't work in any 2nd Gen bike as well.

Trying to go all the way back to a 1st Gen may be sticky since there were some changes to the clutch that were made in MY 2006 to accommodate the AE (Auto clutch version)

Main parts to look at are on the clutch page, specifically the basket and the push rod assembly. A quick check shows the same parts for Gen II, but different pushrods for the Gen I. I won't guarantee it, but I'd say you'd have no trouble on the Gen II.

I think it will also apply to the Gen 1 (2005). My quick comparison of the parts involved seem to be the same. At least I hope so cause I ordered the 2016 retrofit parts yesterday!! LOL

I think it will also apply to the Gen 1 (2005). My quick comparison of the parts involved seem to be the same. At least I hope so cause I ordered the 2016 retrofit parts yesterday!! LOL
Let us know how it works out, if only for curiosity's sake :)