'13 A&S Clutch retrofit?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parts update:

Have all the parts needed EXCEPT:plate, Friction (3) #5 (p/n 27d-16331-00-00)

Spring, Seat (3) #10 (1d7-16384-00-00)

Cover gasket

It's all down to their business model. Those parts web sites don't actually stock anything. They relay the order onto their source who ships what they have when they have it. Brilliant way to keep costs down, but a real pain for those of us who are waiting on all our parts to do a job.

No. All my packages, 4 of them for the clutch project - came from them direct, as they got the parts in from Yamaha.

Main parts to look at are on the clutch page, specifically the basket and the push rod assembly. A quick check shows the same parts for Gen II, but different pushrods for the Gen I. I won't guarantee it, but I'd say you'd have no trouble on the Gen II.
"... the same parts for Gen II..." except for 2006,2007 and 2008 GEN II's. They have a different slave cylinder (part 29) than the other GEN II's, as well as the two plates on the clutch boss (parts 14 and 15). Also missing is the "Ring Set" (part 16) . So, the additional parts needing replacement as shown 2016 parts fiche for the clutch are: 14, 15, 16 and 29.

Some of us have already replaced the slave cylinder on the 2006/2007/2008's to the GEN I /post 2008 GEN II/GEN III slave cylinder in an effort to reduce the clutch lever effort (like me!)

Parts 14,15 and 16 costs total approx. $50. Part 29, the slave cylinder, costs approx. $105 new. However, I bought a used slave cylinder about a year ago on eBay for about $35.

Main parts to look at are on the clutch page, specifically the basket and the push rod assembly. A quick check shows the same parts for Gen II, but different pushrods for the Gen I. I won't guarantee it, but I'd say you'd have no trouble on the Gen II.
"... the same parts for Gen II..." except for 2006,2007 and 2008 GEN II's. They have a different slave cylinder (part 29) than the other GEN II's, as well as the two plates on the clutch boss (parts 14 and 15). Also missing is the "Ring Set" (part 16) . So, the additional parts needing replacement as shown 2016 parts fiche for the clutch are: 14, 15, 16 and 29.

Some of us have already replaced the slave cylinder on the 2006/2007/2008's to the GEN I /post 2008 GEN II/GEN III slave cylinder in an effort to reduce the clutch lever effort (like me!)

Parts 14,15 and 16 costs total approx. $50. Part 29, the slave cylinder, costs approx. $105 new. However, I bought a used slave cylinder about a year ago on eBay for about $35.
My fault. I only went as far back as '10 to compare the microfiche. Excellent catch, Rich!

And sorry to any of you who took my word as truth. I've been here long enough you should know better! :p

No real problem for me. I'm not in any kind of a mad rush. I just feel bad for them. And with the prices they had, I'd like if they would hang around for a while...
wink.png
Fred, After you have installed and tested the slipper mod. will you please let us know your opinion the the functionality of the clutch? Every aspect of the clutch mod. seems to be an improvement over the current non slipper clutch. The cost of parts seems reasonable as well. Thanks, Art

You bet. I feel like if it does everything that it is supposed to, $300 and a couple of hours of tinkering is a bargain.

By the way, I've received 4 shipments so far... with 8 parts left to deliver still.

FYI for the folks following this topic, I now have received all the parts ordered EXCEPT for the following:

1) Item # 10, Plate, Seat (spring seat), (3), 1D7-16384-00-00

2)Clutch cover gasket.

Expect both these items next week.

Update!

Finally got all the parts required. Got the new clutch friction plates soaking in oil and since it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow it looks like I'll do the mod!.

I am awaiting one more part and I can get started installing. Unfortunately that one still hasn't even shipped yet.

In preparation, I have come up with a nifty way to quantify how much lighter the clutch pull is with the mod. I have a Zebco "DeLiar" spring tension gauge fish scale that I can use to measure the pull before and after. I found that the clutch holding tool I have for my Vstrom is the perfect diameter to let me pull on the clutch lever around the handlebar so I can pull in a straight line. I'll post pictures and results when I do the mod.

Fred, that idea for measuring the difference in clutch pull should work pretty well. My 'quantitative' guestimate is it feels like about 25% - 40% less force to pull the lever. I'm sure your your method will work much better then just a 'feel'. However it is definitely easier to pull. BTW, two other things worth noting on doing the modification: Installing the bearing into the outer spring piece. I chilled the bearing down to zero degrees in my freezer and warmed the aluminum receptor piece to 500 degrees in my oven and even then it was a bit tricky to drive that bearing home and seated all the way. If I had a press it would have been easier. Second, make sure final clutch and friction plates are seated correctly and don't slip out of position when installing the outer spring plate. Other then that it's a pretty simple mod.

Oh, btw, I did try the 'slipper' feature of the new clutch and it is definitely noticeable .

I'd like to see front and back photos of the the thrust washer just behind the clutch boss. Supposedly it's grooved on one side which allows oil to enter the clutch assembly from the clutch housing bearing and main axle.

Maybe someone can provide these photos as they upgrade to a slipper clutch.

Hmmmm, the thrust washer in my '05 was grooved on both sides so it didn't matter which way it was installed. Sorry , I didn't take any pics of that when I was working on the mod.

Hi guys

i'am considering to upgrade to this clutch

IS IT SUITABLE FOR MY Gen2 2006 ? i think is a right time as i might have some used discs and the clutch is slipping

i saw Twoweelobsession.com video and everything went smooth !

Nobody can say for sure if it can be installed in a 2nd or 1st Gen. It seems possible, but someone would have to buy the $300 in parts and try it to be sure. The replacement friction discs and spring for your 2nd Gen would be a whole lot less money and a sure bet to fit. YMMV

Viper did it on his 05 (like 8 posts ago). No complaints are posted yet, Sooooooooooooo... no news is good news?