2014 FJR 'A' or 'ES'? decision time...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've spoken to the salesguy at Don and Roy's and gotten the details. On top of the $13,999 price they add a 400 dollar freight and prep change and a 49 dollar doc fee.

Price before tax is:

$14,488.00

That is to date the lowest price I have found in all of the US for a FJR and I have contacted MANY dealers. No one else has been able to come within 200 bucks of that price. I even made up a spreadsheet to track all the prices, fee's etc.. Remember, you will need to add your appropriate sales tax to that number above. Either when you buy the bike (if you live in Wisconsin) or when you get home and get your plates.

The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on this deal just yet (and I am probably letting the cat out of the bag by positing this) is the horrible reviews this dealership has gotten online. Kind of worries me a bit about them, but I know a few guys on the "other" FJR forum bought A models from them without issue as far as I am aware. I may go ahead and put a deposit down with them this week as I really want a ES model.

Good luck!

Madmatt

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it is up 'dere in Harley country.

But who really cares about the dealership? You'll just be buying the bike and likely never see them again.

Then again, $200 is not a very significant savings either. If you really want the bike and there is a decent dealer nearby, even if it cost an extra $500 over the fly and ride price, I'd go with the local guy.

Well, I'm a little biased owning a 2104 A model. I went looking for an ES back in October but nobody had them and I didn't believe them when they said they would get them. Also, no dealing on MSRP, full list and possibly a dealer markup. I ride mostly solo (225 lbs) and like a sporty suspension. I find the A model exactly suited to my needs and I have the adjustments in the middle of the range. Excellent handling. In the past I have typically fiddled around with adjustments, settled on settings that I like and rarely change them. After 7,000 miles and 8 months I have not touched the settings.
Another aspect of my decision had to do with circumstances down the road. Not possible (as I understand it) to customize the ES suspension and replacement components are spendy (over $2k for the rear shock as I understand it). Must go with OEM. I have never customized suspension systems but I do have that option if desired.

Bottom line, though, is Yamaha hit it out of the park with the 2014 FJRs. They have two fine examples to choose from and in my opinion you cannot lose. Most fantastic motorcycle I've ever owned (over a dozen in the past 50+ years). I couldn't be happier.

Dan
Yamaha hit a bull’s-eye w/ the FJR! Look'in how little it's changed over all the years while the "competition"(?) haz ta keep redesigning itself every couple years.

The ES duz have the USD cartridge forks while the "A" haz the conventional forks. (Am I wrong?) But they seem good nuff fer the street, and them Gold Valve emulators really make 'em sweet.

Be'in the cheap bastard I am, I'd prolly go w/ the "A" mahself. Butt as Berman here points out, you can't go wrong with either.
Yes, I noticed that the ES has upside down forks, while the A has conventional ones. Is one better than the other?

The FJR Forks have always been a cartridge damper design fork.

In 2006 (2nd gens) they changed the design a little and added a 3rd (middle) slider bushing in an attempt to stabilize the forks a bit more. That design change was not really all that positive, IMO.

For 2013 (3rd gens) they split the functions between the two fork legs.

For 2014 they added the ES option with the inverted forks.

Inverted forks are inherently more stable because the longer upper tubes are now of a much larger diameter, thicker wall, alloy tubing, and the thinner wall, smaller diameter steel bottom tubes are shorter in length than a normal orientation telescopic fork.

There was no real reason to tie the inverted design to the Electronic Adjustable Damping except that it was easier to adapt the latter to the former. In other words, they could have also come up with an inverted fork design for the non-ES bikes and there would have been benefits to that. Making it exclusive to the ES was probably a marketing decision to help push the ES popularity.

I've spoken to the salesguy at Don and Roy's and gotten the details. On top of the $13,999 price they add a 400 dollar freight and prep change and a 49 dollar doc fee.
Price before tax is:

$14,488.00

That is to date the lowest price I have found in all of the US for a FJR and I have contacted MANY dealers. No one else has been able to come within 200 bucks of that price. I even made up a spreadsheet to track all the prices, fee's etc.. Remember, you will need to add your appropriate sales tax to that number above. Either when you buy the bike (if you live in Wisconsin) or when you get home and get your plates.

The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on this deal just yet (and I am probably letting the cat out of the bag by positing this) is the horrible reviews this dealership has gotten online. Kind of worries me a bit about them, but I know a few guys on the "other" FJR forum bought A models from them without issue as far as I am aware. I may go ahead and put a deposit down with them this week as I really want a ES model.

Good luck!

Madmatt
I did the "float and drive" two weeks ago to Don and Roys. No previous affiliation except saw their pricing on Cycletrader. Took the ferry across from Michigan to Wisconsin, then took a taxi from the landing to the dealership. Was pretty nervous, as I thought the deal was too good to be true and I had no other way home if the deal fell thru. Well, Mike in Sales was excellent. Bike was ready and gorgeous. Paid the balance, signed some papers, and drove the bike 8 hours back home. There was another gentleman from North Dakota loading another 2014 FJR 1300 into his truck. Said the same thing....couldn't find one in his state, and the price here was too good to pass up. We both were very satisfied customers.

Thank you all! I decided to get the 'A'. I found a local dealer for $15000 out-the-door, including tax/license/fee (tax rate here is 9% so it's $13761 before tax)

I will pick it up today and will report back!

Thank you!

mike-

I did the "float and drive" two weeks ago to Don and Roys. No previous affiliation except saw their pricing on Cycletrader. Took the ferry across from Michigan to Wisconsin, then took a taxi from the landing to the dealership. Was pretty nervous, as I thought the deal was too good to be true and I had no other way home if the deal fell thru. Well, Mike in Sales was excellent. Bike was ready and gorgeous. Paid the balance, signed some papers, and drove the bike 8 hours back home. There was another gentleman from North Dakota loading another 2014 FJR 1300 into his truck. Said the same thing....couldn't find one in his state, and the price here was too good to pass up. We both were very satisfied customers.
That does make me feel a bit better. They do have the absolute lowest prices of A's and ES's that I was able to find and I looked in just about every state within 1000 miles of Ohio. It's been a week since I called them so not even sure if they have an ES still in stock. I would most likely do a Fly and Ride. While I have a Honda Rebel that I could use for a small tradein, I think riding that lil 250cc bike 400 miles up on the highway would kill me! ;)

Madmatt

It was 9.75% last year in los Angeles. This year they dropped 0.75!

I have no choice. my work is here...

I decided to get the 'A'. I found a local dealer for $15000 out-the-door, including tax/license/fee (tax rate here is 9% so it's $13761 before tax)

Ouch!! $1,238.50 in sales tax? That's enough to make you want to move somewhere else.
Don't forget Fred, you live in the "Live Tax Free and Die" state. :p

'course you make up for it with your winter fuel bills! :D

I decided to get the 'A'. I found a local dealer for $15000 out-the-door, including tax/license/fee (tax rate here is 9% so it's $13761 before tax)

Ouch!! $1,238.50 in sales tax? That's enough to make you want to move somewhere else.
Don't forget Fred, you live in the "Live Tax Free and or Die" state.
tongue.png
Fixed above. We aren't tax free (they hide a mil rate tax in the registration fees) but it sure the hell isn't anything like $1200 on a $13.7k vehicle. Imagine the Cali windfall when you buy a $70k bimmer to keep your mistress happy?
not_i.gif

'course you make up for it with your winter fuel bills!
biggrin.png
I consider the winter fuel bill just a minor fee to not have to live so closely to quite so many other assholes.
tonguesmiley.gif

Thank you, everybody!

- I got it home! A 2014 FJR1300A with 3 miles when I picked it up from the dealer. The dealer was 30 miles from home and on my way home, I took a detour of 45 miles to check out everything. OTD was $14980 and they gave me a $100 gift card to be used in their store. Haven't bought anything yet.

- Coming from a Blackbird, I was used to shift down at least 6-5 (sometimes 6-5-4) to pass on the freeway. You guys were not kidding when you said it has plenty of torque and no downshift was needed! I love it and I love its 5 gears. Power and torque were everywhere. I wasn't easily impressed by other bikes' power/torque as my BB makes 135hp/80lb.ft at the rear whee. I have to say I'm impressed by the FJR and I enjoyed it tremendously! Why did I wait so long to get one? :)

- The bike is a little tall for me at 5'8 (yes, the seat was set to LOW) and paddling it around in the garage with engine off was an exercise. I couldn't flat footed both feet at the same time.

- I didn't know that it has these cool LED running lights! They are awesome! Love it!

Now more questions:

- does the 2014 have the subframe cracking problem? I like the Givi and I already have 3 from my Blackbird. I assume I can just get a Givi mounting plate to mount my Givi as a top case?

- I need a Factory Service Manual. Beside Yamaha dealer, what's the best place to order one?

- I definitely need heavier bar end. What's the recommended heaviest bar end I can order?

- I will get grip puppy for sure. The grips are too small for me.

- I need to adjust the gear shift lever to higher. I guess I can wait until I got my shop manual.

- I'm 5'8 and the windshield at its tallest is slightly below my sight line and the wind seemed to hit me above my eye level at my helmet (not over it). I think I may need a taller windshield. But then it will go over my eye level and I will have to look through it. What do all of you do with your taller windshield? Do you look thru it?

- Now I need to read up more on farkles. I want what you guys use :)

Thank you all!

mike-

Now more questions:

- does the 2014 have the subframe cracking problem? I like the Givi and I already have 3 from my Blackbird. I assume I can just get a Givi mounting plate to mount my Givi as a top case?

It is susceptible like the prior Gens. Get the Givi 357 bracket to alleviate the weight on the subframe.

- I need a Factory Service Manual. Beside Yamaha dealer, what's the best place to order one?

ebay sometimes has them. There was a thread on her with one listed for sale a while back.

- I definitely need heavier bar end. What's the recommended heaviest bar end I can order?

Many like the HVMP ones. I actually have the set that available for sale at just $35 shipped. They retail for $62+sh.

- I will get grip puppy for sure. The grips are too small for me.

- I need to adjust the gear shift lever to higher. I guess I can wait until I got my shop manual.

- I'm 5'8 and the windshield at its tallest is slightly below my sight line and the wind seemed to hit me above my eye level at my helmet (not over it). I think I may need a taller windshield. But then it will go over my eye level and I will have to look through it. What do all of you do with your taller windshield? Do you look thru it?

I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam so my torso is long. I use the Yamaha Touring Windshield and in its full upright position the top of it is at my eye level. I prefer not looking through the shield except when it is raining hard and I use it to block the water from covering my helmet faceshield.

Thank you Allen,
- PM sent for the bar ends

- Is the rack you recommended the SR357? Here: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-sr357-topcase-rack-fjr1300-2006-2014

- Haven't seen any service manual on ebay (yet)... Googling around and saw this:

https://www.service-shop-repair-manual.com/2013-2014-yamaha-fjr1300a-part-lit-11616-26-45-service-shop-repair-manual/

Is this the correct one and is this a reputable seller?

Thanks!

mike-
Yes, that is the rack.

That is the link I've seen before but do not know of the quality of the manual or integrity of the seller.