2014 FJR 'A' or 'ES'? decision time...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same issue with the shifter on my 2014. It is lower than my 2008 and needs to be raised. I haven't looked at how to raise it yet (I think it is supposed to be easy).

I have used the 357 givi rack on my 2008 for 6 years and just transferred it to the 2014. I have packed the givi top box full many, many times and then my wife leaned on it for a backrest. Never an issue.

Don.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="xcsp" data-cid="1165271" data-time="1406720203"><p>

Another option for using a GIVI top case is the e228 (or e228m). One is for the Monokey, other is for Monolock cases.<br />

<br />

<a href='https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-e228-e228m-topcase-rack-fjr1300-2006-2014'>https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-e228-e228m-topcase-rack-fjr1300-2006-2014</a><br />

<br />

Along with Garauld's Stiffy Kit, a good setup.</p></blockquote>

I think my givi cases are monokey... what's the difference? I have my givi on my Blackbird since 1999 and the top case wad on my Blackbird all the time.

What's this Garauld stiffy kit? Do I need it even with the givi 357 top rack or is this this only for fitting the e228 that you mentioned?

Thank you!

Mike-

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="deagle" data-cid="1165274" data-time="1406722454"><p>

I have the same issue with the shifter on my 2014. It is lower than my 2008 and needs to be raised. I haven't looked at how to raise it yet (I think it is supposed to be easy).<br />

<br />

I have used the 357 givi rack on my 2008 for 6 years and just transferred it to the 2014. I have packed the givi top box full many, many times and then my wife leaned on it for a backrest. Never an issue. <br />

<br />

Don.</p></blockquote>

As to the hear shift lever, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to loosen the 2 nuts and turn the rod or am I supposed to remove and reposition the rotating lever? if the rod, then one end must be left hand thread and the other end would be right hand thread? But which is which?

As to the 357 rack, do you need anything else? How does it prevent the subframe crack problem? I like to have a givi top case on it all the time to carry tools and essential items.

Thank you!

Same exact question I had regarding the shifter. Looked like two different ways to adjust it. Which way is the correct way?

As for the subframe, not sure there really is a problem. I think only a few have had issues, and I think a couple of those guys said they abused the load pretty well. I can only attest I put on the 357 rack, put on a E46 givi monokey case, and it never came off. Packed it with ice, big bottles of Vodka at the Duty Free crossover to Canada, heavy battery powered mattress inflator, etc. Then had the wife lean against it all day. No worries.

Thanks Don, good to know about the 357 rack. My givi top case never came off my Blackbird except when washing it :)

Does it have the givi power connector on the rack so that a top case with brake light can be connected?

I assume you can still use the 2 factory Yamaha side cases with the 357 rack installed?

The picture on revzilla seems to have some kind of side frame attached to the top rack that blocks the factory side cases? Is it part of it too?

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the new scoot, yer gonna luv it!
punk.gif

Same exact question I had regarding the shifter. Looked like two different ways to adjust it. Which way is the correct way?
As for the subframe, not sure there really is a problem. I think only a few have had issues, and I think a couple of those guys said they abused the load pretty well. I can only attest I put on the 357 rack, put on a E46 givi monokey case, and it never came off. Packed it with ice, big bottles of Vodka at the Duty Free crossover to Canada, heavy battery powered mattress inflator, etc. Then had the wife lean against it all day. No worries.
I don't recall which way to turn it, butt basically you just undo the locknuts 'n turn that shaft 'til the shifter moves up. You can watch it to see which way it goes. (Up or down?) Unless you have to move it a lot, then ya gotta pull one end off the shaft, and rotate a spline in the desired direction. I think Momma Yamma has it marked from the factory, if not mark it before you start so ya know where the default position iz.

Cool. Thanks Banjoboy for that explanation. That's what I originally thought, but then thought maybe the spline way. I will adjust. After many years on the 2004, then the 2008, the 2014 shifter feels odd still. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but if it is that easy to adjust I'll just do than instead.

Rocketman, I do not have power going to the box, although I know many do. And yes, I always keep the sidebags and the top box on at all times. And I have ran at high speeds many, many times and stability is not an issue at all. Can't even tell they are there.

If you already have a mounting rack, you can just get the Gerauld Stiffy bracket to help bolster the subframe. It is a much cleaner looking setup and cheaper than the Givi 357.

Although only done people have had a problem with the subframe, I believe in being cautious. I use a Stiffy with my Shad case.

I just went out to adjust it by removing the bolt that holds the rotating lever to the splines then reposition the gear shift lever. However, it can only be moved so much before the gear shift lever hits the frame when upshift. It did help a little. I was able to move a few splines.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="deagle" data-cid="1165300" data-time="1406727329"><p>

Cool. Thanks Banjoboy for that explanation. That's what I originally thought, but then thought maybe the spline way. I will adjust. After many years on the 2004, then the 2008, the 2014 shifter feels odd still. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but if it is that easy to adjust I'll just do than instead.<br />

<br />

Rocketman, I do not have power going to the box, although I know many do. And yes, I always keep the sidebags and the top box on at all times. And I have ran at high speeds many, many times and stability is not an issue at all. Can't even tell they are there. </p></blockquote>

Thank you Allen,
- PM sent for the bar ends

- Is the rack you recommended the SR357? Here: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/givi-sr357-topcase-rack-fjr1300-2006-2014

- Haven't seen any service manual on ebay (yet)... Googling around and saw this:

https://www.service-shop-repair-manual.com/2013-2014-yamaha-fjr1300a-part-lit-11616-26-45-service-shop-repair-manual/

Is this the correct one and is this a reputable seller?

Thanks!

mike-
That manual source is almost certainly a pirated copy. Unless it is direct from Yamaha (or an explicit statement indicating it has formal permission from Yamaha), it is an illegal copy. Just order one from your dealer, it's a little spendy but that is the only legal source.

Dan

I assume you can still use the 2 factory Yamaha side cases with the 357 rack installed?
The picture on revzilla seems to have some kind of side frame attached to the top rack that blocks the factory side cases? Is it part of it too?

Mike
In the link I posted, the e228 consists of the metal mounting plate, plastic docking plate and hardware that mounts directly above the existing plastic luggage rack, no side-frame brackets as shown in other pics on Rev's site. Factory side cases work w/o a problem.

Monolock & Monokey cases use a different style docking plate so if you go with a e228 kit be sure to get the correct one.

Links below will give you a better idea of how it mounts and shows the difference in the mounting plates for the 2 styles of Givi cases.

Monolock e228m:

https://giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/yamaha/fjr-1300-06-12/e228m-adapter-plate-detail

Monokey e228:

https://giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/yamaha/fjr-1300-06-12/e228-adapter-plate-detail

I rode a 2006 for over 135k miles with stock suspension adjusted to how I wanted it. That is the good thing about FJR's is the suspension has some adjustment. I bought the ES and am very pleased and impressed with the suspension improvements. Time will tell if it is as reliable as my A was (is, it's still running with new owner). I never had to change fork seals on the A. I do use the on the fly adjustment on my ES. Long freeway drone and I'll switch it to soft. When I get to my favorite twisty section, I put it back to hard +1. I leave it at 1 up with bags, it gives the back the spring rate I want even without the bags. One thing I notice, my chicken strips are narrower on my ES and I don't seem to be pushing it too hard. Suspension gives me a higher level of confidence.

I see you're in Southern California. Mission Motorsports in Irvine has an A and ES on the sales floor. Good luck!

Thanks Don, good to know about the 357 rack. My givi top case never came off my Blackbird except when washing it :)
Does it have the givi power connector on the rack so that a top case with brake light can be connected?

Mike
We bought the 357 rack for our new 14ESs and there is no problem putting the side cases on. We also installed a 1/4" pin thru the Givi base plate and thru the bottom of the V46 top box for added security.

I've spoken to the salesguy at Don and Roy's and gotten the details. On top of the $13,999 price they add a 400 dollar freight and prep change and a 49 dollar doc fee.
Price before tax is:

$14,488.00

That is to date the lowest price I have found in all of the US for a FJR and I have contacted MANY dealers. No one else has been able to come within 200 bucks of that price. I even made up a spreadsheet to track all the prices, fee's etc.. Remember, you will need to add your appropriate sales tax to that number above. Either when you buy the bike (if you live in Wisconsin) or when you get home and get your plates.

The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on this deal just yet (and I am probably letting the cat out of the bag by positing this) is the horrible reviews this dealership has gotten online. Kind of worries me a bit about them, but I know a few guys on the "other" FJR forum bought A models from them without issue as far as I am aware. I may go ahead and put a deposit down with them this week as I really want a ES model.

Good luck!

Madmatt
I did the "float and drive" two weeks ago to Don and Roys. No previous affiliation except saw their pricing on Cycletrader. Took the ferry across from Michigan to Wisconsin, then took a taxi from the landing to the dealership. Was pretty nervous, as I thought the deal was too good to be true and I had no other way home if the deal fell thru. Well, Mike in Sales was excellent. Bike was ready and gorgeous. Paid the balance, signed some papers, and drove the bike 8 hours back home. There was another gentleman from North Dakota loading another 2014 FJR 1300 into his truck. Said the same thing....couldn't find one in his state, and the price here was too good to pass up. We both were very satisfied customers.

FYI the service manager at Don & Roys is a FJR Owner.... his name and handle here is Jim Morrison LOL.... cool dude actually...

deagle - I wish you would have stated you were headed this way I would have picked you up at the ferry dock, and taken you out to the dealership.... it would have been my pleasure to save you the likely huge amount of money the taxi cost for that.... I wish I would have known....

Oh well.... FWIW - If your ever thinking about coming back this way please let me know, I'd love to show you around the milwaukee and surrounding area's if your interested.... Anything for the FJR brethren....

Warpdrv,

Thanks, I appreciate that. The taxi was low $40's, so $50 with tip. Wasn't too bad. I was more worried about breaking in a new bike and getting stuck in traffic as there was an afternoon baseball game that day. But the guys at Don and Roys got me on bypass expressways around Milwaukee and Chicago, so the fan never kicked on and I was able to vary the throttle in the right lane with minimal traffic. I met the FJR owner briefly from Don and Roys. Seemed like a very nice guy. I would have liked to visit longer but a bad storm was coming and I had 8 hours to drive. I may take you up on that Milwaukee tour offer sometime!

Don.

Congrats on the new FJR! Those '14 models sure are something. I was working that event - you should have said 'Hi'! (If you would have know that I was there
smile.png
)

Did you buy it from Simi Valley Cycles? I was very impressed with that dealership.

Enjoy that new FJR.

Mike
We bought the 357 rack for our new 14ESs and there is no problem putting the side cases on. We also installed a 1/4" pin thru the Givi base plate and thru the bottom of the V46 top box for added security.
Thanks. How does this pin look like? Got any pic you can share?

Congrats on the new FJR! Those '14 models sure are something. I was working that event - you should have said 'Hi'! (If you would have know that I was there
smile.png
)
Did you buy it from Simi Valley Cycles? I was very impressed with that dealership.

Enjoy that new FJR.
I didn't know you were working that event! Were you a ride leader/an organizer/ or ??

The demo got me. I tested the FJR1300A (I signed up for an ES but somebody gave me an 'A' when my schedule time came). After I got home, I sent out a few emails soliciting OTD price and I went with Del Amo. Went to the demo on Fri. Bought it on Tue. Since I went to Simi Cycles first, I called them and let them know what the price was and they said they couldn't match it.

I enjoy every minute I'm on the FJR!