2016 FJR1300A Check Engine Light On

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cel came on at 1300 miles. In to the dealer it goes. I'm curious as to the trigger. I've killed it once with the kickstand safety, IIRC.

It could be worse. You could own an '04 R1150RT with 50K miles and forever read stories about how much a final drive repair costs or if you got one with a transmission input shaft spline that is ready to implode or maybe your p.o.s. ABS modulator which costs around $2K+ is about to self destruct. I've lived with these fears for the better part of the past 12 years. At about 35K miles I spent two days tearing down the motorcycle just to inspect and lube the input shaft splines. Same job at a dealer is over $1,000! Splines were like new, thank god! Of course the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder had a slight leak which was easy to remedy and only cost $54, surprisingly.

Many of you FJR guys just don't know how good you've got it, imo.

"It could be worse"

Sure could. It seems that most in this forum know the value and reliability of our m/c's platform. We've had some members that have turned well over 200k on their bikes, and a few over 300k. Yamaha did a pretty darned good job on them imo. This thread might come across a little negative at first glance, but some of us have little doubt that Mama will pull through with an appropriate fix. So even though a fix is likely coming, some of us still want to ask, why did it happen in the first place?

Got same issue... never left the lot, and it threw a CEL...

pointing to the kickstand switch.. The dealership tried to clear it with no joy..

Will be anxiously waiting for the fix...

Last edited by a moderator:
Took it in and the dealer said that they could not clear the cel because there is an adapter needed to be able to read the code generating the cel. I was told there is only one of these in the US and that they have to have it overnighted (from wherever). Sounds like high quality, industrial grade BS to me. Having said that, dealer said as there was no rideability issues, go ahead and ride it and they'll call when the ultra rare adapter comes in.

Oddly, since the cel came on, I can't adjust the preload( Doesn't really qualify as a rideability issue as I won't need to change it that much right now, IMO). The menu option never shows up and the sel (suspension error light) is not lit.

This strikes me as first year software issues. Annoying AF, but not stopping from riding and enjoying.

Not for nothing, but my dealer was able to pull the code, just couldn't clear the Cel. They swapped out a box from another FJ, and no codes were thrown.. So they are ordering me a new box..

I ran into a guy riding a 16ES when I was on a ride in NW Arkansas a couple of weeks ago. Turns out the guy was a regional sales rep for Yamaha. I told him about my cel light that had come on during the trip and he said he was pretty sure that the adapter cable that fits a 15 R1 is the same one that fits our 16 fjr models. I too find your dealer's story about the ultra rare cable odd, all I know is my dealer had one on hand when I showed up for a reset. He did have to do a software update however.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will actually log those? On mine, I will often just put the kickstand down when I come to a stop where I'm parking and let it kill the engine.
unknw.gif
So do I. it's been my usual method of killing the engine on all my bikes for years. I need to stop it though so I'll stop leaving the ignition on.
uhoh.gif

At about 300 miles on mine we did a bunch of farkle wiring and in the process, took off the gas tank. Shortly after that the CEL came on. At the 600 mile screwing they reset the CEL and asked if I had taken off the tank and turned on the key. I said yes and they decided that's what triggered the CEL.

My point is that they were able to hook up to the bike, read the code and reset it without overnighting a magic cable.

I also have a Wing and for years now if I'm parking on a slope, I leave the bike in gear and shut it off by lowering the kickstand. I plan to do the same thing with the FJR but first I need to learn not to park down hill without reverse. I haven't quite mastered that yet but with just a few more lessons I think I'll have it.

At about 300 miles on mine we did a bunch of farkle wiring and in the process, took off the gas tank. Shortly after that the CEL came on. At the 600 mile screwing they reset the CEL and asked if I had taken off the tank and turned on the key. I said yes and they decided that's what triggered the CEL.
My point is that they were able to hook up to the bike, read the code and reset it without overnighting a magic cable.

If yours is the 2014 shown in your profile, then there would have been no problem resetting the code. The mechanism changed for the 2016, that's where the "magic cable" is needed.

Somewhat off topic but why do people use the kill switch to shut down the engine intend of the key? I suppose it could be to keep the switched farkles, i.e.; GPS going, but other than such, why not use the key? That mitigates the chance of walking away and having to return to a dead battery. Also may prevent the dreaded CEL code coming on!!

Somewhat off topic but why do people use the kill switch to shut down the engine intend of the key? I suppose it could be to keep the switched farkles, i.e.; GPS going, but other than such, why not use the key? That mitigates the chance of walking away and having to return to a dead battery. Also may prevent the dreaded CEL code coming on!!
It used to be taught in MSF courses to use that switch then turn off the key. In classes it would keep both hands on the bars with the engine running. I don't know if that's why some people do it, but that's what was taught.

My dealer had the cable on hand already, and I was the first '16 fjr he's sold, so I'm thinking it's just a newer version one that maybe not all dealers have gotten to yet? I was told by a Yamaha regional sales rep we ran across in Arkansas last month that the '16 fjr uses the same cable as a '15 R1. Is this true Big John?

Shit happens. No one wants to buy a new or late model bike and have something go wrong. But these bike have far fewer problems over far more miles than most considerably less complex bikes from other manufacturers do. And it's pretty hard to find a more responsive warranty program.