2016 FJR1300A Check Engine Light On

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cel came back on again yesterday. Odd thing to me is that I rode it just like any other time, nothing different that I can put my finger on. Took it to the dealer today since they are closed on Mondays, same issue popped up, side stand deployed while in gear, 87 times according to the ecu. The tech said he plans to call Mamma again with a trend now. This one came on at about 1525 mi, almost exactly 1k after the first one. I'm assuming that none of you other fellas have had a recurrence. Has anyone gone more than 1k mi. since their first cel event?

Last edited by a moderator:
UGH! This is the last thing I wanted to read. My dealer is over an hour from me and I have already wasted 4 hours of mine and my wife's on the last CEL.

It appears I'm not the only one now with this problem, there was another customer that came in with a Cel. I'm located in the east coast of Massachusetts. The dealership says they are in communication with Yamaha.. Meanwhile, I'm still riding around with my cel still on...

I've put almost 2k miles on mine since the CEL came on...the little piece of electrical tape, still covers it nicely.
I haven't got that many miles since my cel came on. Supposed to be fixed this Friday. We'll see.

Oddly, it also locked out my preload adjustment option. The screen simply never appears.

Bike runs great. Glad I didn't leave it with them for the last three weeks.

Edit: Just saw, read and comprehended the posts above mine about the preload adjustment thing. Insufficient coffee, apparently.

Mama Yamaha is aware of the issue and going through the beaurocratic channels to get the fix out. And the root cause is not a sidestand issue even though that is what code is thrown.

Patience. Things like these are not solved overnight.

So if it's not a side stand issue, but the software reads it as such, then the problem is with the ecu / firmware?

So if it's not a side stand issue, but the software reads it as such, then the problem is with the ecu / firmware?
Yes, I'll venture a guess that it is likely firmware (ie software within the ECU). It is common that the last 'rung' in the logic gets all the faults assigned to it of none of the previous 'rungs' are truly the cause. I'd expect the sidestand switch monitor is the last 'rung' in that CEL logic. It could be fixed perhaps by decreasing speed that the ECU scans the sensors it uses to enact the CEL, or perhaps by adding additional logic, or perhaps other ways.
But whether the eventual firmware fix can be reflashed within the existing ECU ... I dunno that. I bet some Yamaha engineer already knows though.
smile.png

CEL came on again today for the third time at around 2110 miles. Whenever the dealer's service manager sees me pull up to his back door now, he says laptop, right? Not really, but they do wave me right in. Same thing again, code P1601

Mama Yamaha is aware of the issue and going through the beaurocratic channels to get the fix out. And the root cause is not a sidestand issue even though that is what code is thrown.
Patience. Things like these are not solved overnight.
But will it blow up real good in the meantime, while they are putting their collective YamaSmartyPantsTM hats on?

Well my CEL came on at 1500 miles and is still on at 4100 miles (have not taken it in to clear the error code). Since I'm headed to Mexico next Thursday, I'm dropping it off at the dealer. Hopefully they can get it figured out, during the time they have it.

The service manager at my dealer isn't even looking at anything on my bike, I think he figures it's a software / firmware issue anyway so he just resets the light and waits patiently for mother ship to come out with the fix.

Any of the rest of you find that cruise control does not work with the CEL on? My cruise stopped operating when the CEL appeared. Coincidence or tied in?

My cruise stopped operating when the CEL appeared. Coincidence
Connected. You have to clear the code to get your cruise back.

I love the Cave Creek and Carefree area. A good friend has a horse ranch a bit south east on E Dixileta.

CEL has been on since 350 miles on the bike. Now at 5000 miles cruise has always worked fine. It's an A not an ES.

If FJRTom checks the preload settings on his ES I believe he will find that locked out as well as the cruise control. Differences in the way the A and ES handle the error code it seems.