2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So will the 5 speeds be faster or the 6 speeds?

This is definitely going to raise the retail value of the Gen3 5 speeds.

6speed lovers, you got what you've been screaming for since 2002/3...bastards.

The 6spd would be interesting to try and see the effect. I really like the LED upgrades, but won't know how well the headlights work, until Skooter or first owners tell us about driving in the dark.

Yamaha really does know how to do blue though, love it in the outside shot!

". . . a top cog that’s significantly taller than that of its five-speed predecessor. The end result promises improved acceleration and more relaxed revs at freeway cruise."

...aaannnd my main reason for not pulling the trigger on the FJR is gone. :)

Color has never meant squat to me. Taller first and second, shorter fourth and fifth seems to almost make third redundant. Hmmm. An "overdrive" sixth for flatland straight-line low-rev economy cruising will be nice. If they wanted to introduce more obsolescence to earlier editions, an extra 100 CCs of displacement would have done the job more thoroughly, and it seems quite easily. The directional LEDs are interesting but I mostly avoid night driving in our critter-infested country. Yamaha has done a nice job of incrementally improving what was/is a solid platform.

Hey boyz... just be glad mamayama kept the platform for another year. It's already been a very long run and wasn't it just yesterday most all were bemoaning the demise of the feejer? I think the changes are awesome and wish I had SkooterG's bank account so I could afford one..

UK price not yet announced.

Weight does not appear to have changed.

It'll take me a day or two, but I'll try to find out more details than the web specs give, e.g. gear ratios, rear suspension on the UK AE & AS (US ES & AE if you're lucky) - it's given a slightly different description, although the settings are described the same.

Bet that's the same effing subframe under those neat color matched side panels.

Nice refinements with the lighting and dash. Damn that blue is nice. 6 speed is meh to me, I find the engine has so much torque that I enjoy not having to shift as much compared to my other rides.

Makes me wonder if this is the last refresh before a completely new model comes out.

My wish list would be central locking, better panniers and lighter weight. Otherwise it's really close to perfect on my 15.

YMMV

Love the 2016 bike of course but these changes are nothing that would cause me to abandon my 2014 A model, farkled just as I need it to be.

I don't want or need a sixth gear or a slipper clutch.

The lighting updates seem like "keeping up with the Jones-es" changes as opposed to anything really meaningful.

Just looked at the US Yamaha site.

Price to be announced February 2016.

OK.

We need to all band together and agree that no one will buy one if the price goes up.

:)

Wait....what??!! Is it White? What's that color in the video??!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looked at the US Yamaha site.Price to be announced February 2016.

OK.

We need to all band together and agree that no one will buy one if the price goes up.

smile.png
Guess I'll be placing my order, in February
punk.gif

It's on the US site now. It just took the US marketing team a little longer to "get it up"
wink.png

New Features:

New 6-Speed Transmission
An all-new transmission pushes the 2016 FJR1300ES to new heights, with the revised ratios providing evenly spaced gearing for sporty riding and a tall 6th gear for relaxed highway riding. Additionally, the transmission gears have been modified to offer smoother, quieter running

An all-new transmission pushes the 2016 FJR1300ES to new heights, with the revised ratios providing evenly spaced gearing for sporty riding, with a tall sixth gear for relaxed cruising on the highway. Additionally, the transmission gears are now helically cut, for smoother, quieter running, and new separated gear dogs improve transmission performance.

New Assist-and-Slipper Clutch
The FJR1300ES includes a new assist-and-slipper clutch unit that provides additional clutch plate clamping force under engine torque, as well as reduced force under back-torque from the rear wheel. This allows for the use of lighter clutch springs - reducing clutch lever effort by approximately 20% - as well as smoother, more refined downshifting.

All-New Lean Angle-Sensitive LED Lighting System
The FJR ES utilizes Yamaha’s all-new LED lean-angle sensitive lighting system that allows riders to see through the corners for incredible illumination and improved low-light vision. The 2016 FJR1300ES is the first Yamaha motorcycle to feature this technology.

The bold new face of the FJR1300ES uses bright, high-efficiency LED lighting, featuring Yamaha’s all-new cornering headlights. Above the quad-element LED headlight assembly, six LED units illuminate sequentially to shine through turns, controlled by Yamaha’s IMU technology. As on the previous FJR, the headlights also feature tool-less adjustment of headlight angle to account for vehicle loads. Finally, a new LED tail lamp assembly adds even more style and quality.

Revised Bodywork
Headlined by the new LED headlight system, stylish, supersport-inspired bodywork with integrated airflow management keeps the rider comfortable. A central vent beneath the instrument panel reduces negative pressure for less buffeting, and tool-less adjustable fairing side panels let the rider direct lower body airflow.

Updated Instrumentation
The revised three-part instrument panel provides riders with all the information they need while enjoying the road, including trip computer functions, riding modes and more. Riders can easily customize the dot-matrix multi-function display to show the information they want with a flick of the bar-mounted switchgear, too.

Yamaha has done a nice job of incrementally improving what was/is a solid platform.
I had the same thought. Nice to think they still think it's worth paying attention to.

My initial reactions: Color - maybe. Lights - like. Trans - another reason for Y.E.S.

Do you think they could have one at IMS New York next weekend?