2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I noted first was the slipper clutch, which also appears to include an assist to reduce the activation force required. This is a big deal for those of us who are living with long in the tooth AEs.

My plan is to go by my dealer this afternoon and ask them to order one for me.

They will want a deposit, and I'll suck it up.

I don't care about having the first one ... in fact, it would probably be smarter to wait for the warehouse clearing of the '15s. There will be promotions on the 15's guaranteed.

And then there are always the bugs that have to worked out of anything new. It was a HUGE error when I bought the first year of the Moto Guzzi Norge, and I feel the same way about my first year purchase of the BMW K1600 GTL. Both bikes were frought with teething issues, and neither lasted in my stable for a whole season.

I am talking myself out of ordering today. Might be smarter to wait until the release gets closer.

FWIW, my opinion is that the 5 speed tranny is just fine, and in fact all four of my current bikes are 5 speeds ... but at the same time, when I have 6 speeds, I usually figure out what to do with them. 6 can be more fun than 5, and often I'm looking for that overdrive that Don 'Nacho (old Zorro reference to Don Ignacio in one of the episodes) suggests may characterize this particular top gear.

Well, at least we know the color. It looks to me like "Blue to die for" Blue...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's on the US site now. It just took the US marketing team a little longer to "get it up"
wink.png
Yep!

Modifying thread title of this thread slightly since most of the world is on the same page now..especially since most are North American on this forum.

Blue...it's blue! Actually, called the same "Cobalt Blue" as 2012 and 2006.

Sigh, I told Redfish Hunter that 2016 would be blue and I'd be a sucker if they did. Doubt it'll happen though. Maybe in 2017 I can afford to pick up a slightly used 2016.
biggrin.png

Sigh, I told Redfish Hunter that 2016 would be blue and I'd be a sucker if they did. Doubt it'll happen though. Maybe in 2017 I can afford to pick up a slightly used 2016.
biggrin.png
Jasen - I am thinking - give this a little road time. See what the initial bugs are. Wait until the Black 2017 is announced and then pounce on a slightly used or remaining stock deal. Until then I have a '06 garage queen that needs to get out a lot more.

Under "Additional Features" on the website, I noticed the following:

Fairing-Mounted Storage
A glove box is built into the upper fairing and includes a 12V outlet ideal for charging phones, GPS units, electric vests and other compact electrical devices.

I assume that the "glove box" is the same but wondering if the outlet is fused a bit higher. They mention use for an electric vest which I'm pretty sure would pop the fuse on earlier FJRs.

Not me, I like the 5 speed. This bike does not need a 6 speed with the prodigious table top flat TQ that the motor produces. Hell I can roll away from a stop in 3rd gear with no hesitation or shudder. I will stick with the 14 ES until I either wear it out or Yamaha introduces big enough changes like they did from gen 2 to 3 to get my interest.

Those are some pretty nice updates. A lot of people have been screaming for the 6-speed since... forever. No more excuses for them now.

I would like to have the LED's all the way around on my 14', that's another great update to a solid platform. Slipper clutch would be nice.

Since it took me 11 years to update from my 03', the 2025 FJR should be even more refined and I'll finally pull the trigger once again. LOL
fool.gif

Answers the color question...at least for the Euro version.

With all those updates (LED, 6 speed), it should get the tongues around here hanging out.

I agree...... really nice upgrades!

I'll have to stick with my red one for a while more (like 10 years). Like Tanker said, it should be even more refined by then - lol

I'm impressed how Yamaha made a near perfect bike even better :)

My wish list would be central locking, better panniers and lighter weight. Otherwise it's really close to perfect on my 15.
YMMV
According to Yamaha's site, comparing a '15 to the '16, the latter is 2 lbs. lighter-wow.

Have to say the '16 in blue looks good, but red will need to do for sometime for me. Better than the '15 color in my opinion (sorry '15 owners).

Love that Blue!! I'm already thinking about how I should approach the finance manager about this. With that said the big question in my head is the addition of the sixth gear, short of getting abused the five speed is very solid. Gives me reason to think since the five is so solid a six will be equally as good. Wow this is going to be tough to not to do..........DAMN YOU YAMAHA!!

I think it's time for me to trade in the '06. The intro of the ES had me thinking about it, but these other changes have me sold.

I'm surprised they've made so many significant changes so short into the Gen III life. It's a great sign that Yamaha cares about the segment and is going to continue to support it. Great news no matter which Gen you have....

I don't know sales figures but it seems to me I see a lot more "non-cruisers" as a % on the road than I used to, including a lot more sport touring bikes. Maybe the market is growing.

Only the ES model gets the directional head lights.

Yamaha video says that the heated grips provide FOUR levels of warmth, as opposed to the current 3

On the Yamaha video, I believe the pumkin case looks different than all previous models.

The stator cover is also different.

Does "unified braking" now mean that you get linked braking regardless of whether you press the "rear brake pedal" or "front brake handlebar lever"? That would be a welcome refinement in my opinion.

To me the windscreen looks like it is a bit wider than the '14/'15 stock screen.

Now getting really picky, I like the fuel gage on the '16 better. And the engine "mode" display is in a better location too - not lost next to the speed output. Tach is more legible too. Overall - gages look better to me.

Turn signal display on the dash is still green -
sad.png

IMO, the pictures depicted outdoors make it look more like the 2005 color. The indoor shots not quite as grey as the '06/'12 color, but less bright than the 2005. I'll have to reserve judgment until I see it in the flesh.

Regardless and looks wise - it doesn't hold a candle to the '14 red. Only my $0.02....

i like the upgrades - and the blue is to die for ! means more options for trading cases and upgarding rear light cluster on my 12 ( maybe)

I would like to hope that there will be some new accessroies to make it more comfortable for the 2 up - lower rear pegs and heat shields to match - a rear case which actually supports the passenger perhaps with arm rests - oh and of course a stiffer subframe that wont break if i actually load it up for touring

But the new items definately makei the upgrade choice harder /easier