2016 Is Official 6-spd, Slipper, LEDs, Analog Tach, Price

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I get the white stripes with mine? Please, Please!

I thought I was seeing a white bike also. Not for USA though.

Dave

Looking at the new color in the USA: I lover the blue. Unfortunately we do not seem to get that in Europe.
not_i.gif

New color in Europe: Matt Silver (also nice)

2016_YAM_FJR1300AS_EU_MS1_STA_002.jpg

I want an AE too (I've only got two of them), but I've ordered one of these in the Cobalt Blue ES flavor.

I'm as excited about this one as I've been about any of the new bikes I've bought in the last decade.

FWIW, "order" means that my name is now at the head of our local official list.

They didn't want a deposit. When it is actually possible to submit orders to Yamaha, we'll work out the details. But it is hard to imagine a circumstance underwhich I would not end up with one of these, unless I truly have to give up clutching entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love a blue Yamaha, I really wanted a 12 but ended up with a 10 because the CFO approved it. I still love the 10 but will continue to lust after the blue.

So is this officially Gen 4?
I wouldn't say that....not even close IMO. BTW, I don't think there is an "official" generation ever bestowed by Yamaha. Generations are a designation the marketplace tended to apply after the MAJOR structural and styling updates in 2006 and harmonization of North America with the rest of the world on model year designation. I don't think one more gear or lighting updates constitute a major structural change nor have there been any significant styling changes.

And I will still be designating it as Gen 3 in the matrix.
I think there are enough changes to warrant calling it a Gen IV...6 speed, slipper clutch, LED/Adaptive lighting, re-designed dash...put it to a vote??

bike.gif

Sure! Then the 2004 (2003 in Europe) should have been Gen 2 because they had ABS added, revised forks, brakes, glove compartment, and other detail changes....which makes the Gen 2 actually a 3....3 a 4...and the AE addition should then probably be a Gen 5....so this is now a Gen 6...or VI if you're Roman numeral inclined.

Oh crap, they changed ABS systems in 2008 along with wheels.....shift by another generation...I guess we're on Gen 7 now....damn!

Or maybe the 2016 is a Gen 3.5. Hmmmm.

Sure! Then the 2004 (2003 in Europe) should have been Gen 2 because they had ABS added, revised forks, brakes, glove compartment, and other detail changes....which makes the Gen 2 actually a 3....3 a 4...and the AE addition should then probably be a Gen 5....so this is now a Gen 6...or VI if you're Roman numeral inclined.
Oh crap, they changed ABS systems in 2008 along with wheels.....shift by another generation...I guess we're on Gen 7 now....damn!

Or maybe the 2016 is a Gen 3.5. Hmmmm.
well, my $.02 worth is that a new 6 speed transmission ,slipper clutch , and LED Adaptive lighting trump a new glove compartment and "other detail changes"...I'd go so far as to say the only thing that would matter more would be a new engine. YMMV. Void where prohibited. NOT F.D.I.C. insured.

That is all.
punk.gif

I'd go so far as to say the only thing that would matter more would be a new engine.
I think you're dismissing the signficance of ABS to motorcycles, but to the larger point the engine was changed significantly in 2006 and 2013--another of principle reasons for a Gen designation change. The 2006 had fundamental fuel injection changes, resolved the dreaded tick, and a different alternator. In 2013 the head was redone, fuel injection, and other innards were updated significantly. It doesn't appear the 2016 has changed it's engine any from 2015...other than if you choose to consider a clutch a part of the engine vs. the drive system.

I'm goinig hazard a guess that that you're going to be able to swap a 2016 gearbox and clutch into a 2015-2013 and possibly the lighting system into a 2015 for form factor.

I like it, whatever gen it is. I'm still calling it a Gen 4 for now.

I've been tempted to upgrade my '09A to the grey '15, but it just doesn't make sense dollar wise. With only 100K or so on my bike, it still has lots of life left and is worth zilch because of it. So, I just can't see getting a new one right now.

Nice upgrades Mother Yamaha has done IMO. To be contrary, I am not a huge fan of blue. I have to admit, I'm partial to the black of the '08/9 models. I was hoping the gen 3s would come out that color as they were selling them in Europe, but no go. Maybe that will be the deciding factor if the '17s or more are, dunno.

Until then, I'll enjoy my old bike, and if something happens to that? Then who knows; maybe that blue will grow on me!

The slipper clutch and assist is a big deal, but not worthy of calling out a new Generation. But slipper clutch, assist, and 6 speeds is quite a jump. Add the other stuff, including what appear to be display changes, lighting changes, and other refinements, and surely this is at least Gen 3.5.

Now I agree that this bike isn't significantly "better" than the 2015 ... but neither is the Gen III significantly better than the Gen II, and on to Gen II not being significantly better than Gen I. All of these assorted generations have been excellent efforts on Yamaha's part. Sure beat the heck out of ST1100 v. ST1300 v. CTX1300.

Not that anyone cares but I think that the range of incremental improvements warrant a moniker of Gen 3.5. I would say that a major design change (engine/chassis) would be needed to make it a Gen 4.

If it been just the lights or the clutch or the 6-speed I would have called it a 3.1.

Not that anyone cares but I think that the range of incremental improvements warrant a moniker of Gen 3.5. I would say that a major design change (engine/chassis) would be needed to make it a Gen 4.
If it been just the lights or the clutch or the 6-speed I would have called it a 3.1.
Have I missed something? Was there an engine/chassis change between gen 2 and gen 3?

I think the biggest changes between 1,2 and 3 have been the plastics.

Since ignatio killed the original thread... :insert pitchfork mob here: lo
It's Ignacio with "c" :insert dumbass icon here:
tease.gif
drinks.gif

On the Gear ratio front, I wonder if reducing 4th and 5th brings them in line with the final ratios of Gen1 bikes, since they increased the final drive ratio for Gen2.

I'm going out on a limb and disagree with Ignacio. This is a Gen 4 due to significant changes to the drive train, displays and lighting and styling. These changes will take some seat-time to evaluate their value and how well they have been implemented.

If Gen 3 was a lesson, buyers might do to wait to see if there are any bugs in the early Gen 4. It sounds like a winning concept, but the flaws in the 2013 were well hidden in the ECU with a crippled cruise control that was quickly fixed. Overall, nothing serious, but it got better, and less expensive as discounts began to kick in. I suspect this new bike has ECU changes as well that are not compatible with Gen 3 bikes.

Speaking of inexpensive, I expect some serious discounts on used Gen III shortly. Now, time to back up that "I don't need a six-speed" claim.