Aches and Pains

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepblue

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am curious what some of you go through regarding aches and pains from riding. A little background and info first. This is probably meant for the older guys, you young bucks don't have these problems I am sure. As for me, I am older and I had about a 25 year period of no riding and within the last 2 months decided to buy an FJR because well....I am not getting any younger, missed riding, always loved the bike and did get a great deal on a 2008 that had less than 1600 miles on it. That said, I will say that I am sure I am expecting to much of myself especially after so long of a layoff. In the last month I have put about 1600 miles on the bike, mostly back and forth to work but I have taken a few trips in the 200 mile range. I have read here all the topics on hand numbing etc. (this is a great forum btw) but my aches and pains cover quite a spectrum and I guess it depends on the day what pain I will get and then other days, well its not to bad at all. Of course there is the hand numbing but that has gotten better with a crampbuster and I plan on some type of cruise control soon. Back pain and neck pain is common, thinking about going to a chiropractor and sometimes there is the rear end and other parts issue...I know the stock seat sucks according to many. Knees ache after a while, sometimes it feels like the pegs are to high, I am 5'10. I have read the MY riding position stuff, working on that too. Anyway the bottom line is I am probably just old and worn out but wanted a little input. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Is your seat in the high position? I am 6'1 and peg distance feels good to me. There are many farkles to help ease your pains: Custom seat, Bar risers, Highway pegs, etc. I know that proper riding posture and relaxing your shoulders, arms and hands will help a bunch too. My 2 cents.

I feel your pain....literally :(

Unfortunately I find the FJR riding position a somewhat less than ideal. What wasn't noticed in a 20 minute test ride shows up after an hour's ride. I'm 65 and the joints are complaining. It doesn't help that a horse kicked me in the knee a month ago and it's still swollen.

I do better in hot weather because with the windshield all the way down so that the wind balances my weight better.

To be honest, I'm thinking of going back to a Goldwing, the riding position is better for me. Or maybe, at this age (65, yikes!) I ought to be reconsidering riding. Maybe the FJR is for younger guys. I wonder how many FJR riders there are in this age bracket.

Good luck,

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken, I am 58 and you may be right...I am not sure at this point. I am surely going to give it more time, sadly being from the Midwest all the conditioning I will accomplish during Spring, Summer and Fall will go out the window for about 4 months during Winter and starting over each year at this age is no picnic. As far as the seat height, from the owners manual it looks like there is some sort of seat base under the seat that needs to be there to use the higher notch up front towards the tank, and this seat base is missing. Unless I am reading that wrong, but when I put the seat in the higher notch it is all wobbly. I am sure this would help.

53 yrs old here with a bike setup way more for touring ('04 Gen I)

ride 27k mi a year and bike is just short of 160k miles

Sargeant Seat with Airhawk Air Pad

double risers (Gen 1 only) with bars up 2" and back 3" and 1.5" more spread

(the risers relieved the wrist, arm, shoulder pain)

Wild Bill Highway Pegs

Grip Puppies

Throttlemeister throttle lock

AVCC electronic cruise control

Nelson Rigg Weekender bag on Pillion Seat - acts as back rest

low turbulence Cal Sci windshield

When touring...riding on the slab...pretty much sit upright leaned on the

stuffed weekender bag with electronic cruise set to 78...can go all day

a light helmet (I'm looking to upgrade to a lighter flip helmet)

I'm not as old as most of the farts on this forum, but it was the aches and pains which brought me to the FJR.

I was 33 when I gave up the VFR. Sure, I crashed it, but the year before a 400 mile day in a crosswind did something to aggravate my lumbar and I couldn't walk straight or sleep except in a fetal position for a few days. That, and my wrists were getting tired. So when I crashed it I decided it was time to look for something a bit more upright, and while at it, better suited for living in the midwest (I had just moved to MN from OR). Flat roads and colder winters means the FJR's ergonomics and wind protection were a fair tradeoff for the additional heft.

Anyway, I am much more comfy on the FJR than the VFR. Then when I was 37 I went flying off a jump on a snowboard and landed wrong and spent $800 in physical therapy to deal with a herniated disc and sciatic nerve pain.

So ... how do I deal with the pain? Exercise. The "cat and camel" stretches offer immediate relief while on the bike when I feel the pain start to build up. Some may think I am trying to mate with the gas tank ... eh. Works for me. Then on a daily basis I do my flexibility stretches and core strength exercises. At 39 I am now mostly pain free except when I sit in one position for a long time.

My dad, a bit older at 74, rides a VStrom. He also has sciatic pain, but neglected to deal with it so he is sidelined a few months every year with repeated surgeries or injections. A Sargent seat and lowered pegs suits him well, and he says being on the bike is one of the few times he is actually pain-free. His philosophy is if he doesn't do it now, he'll never do it. He is losing the strength in his legs and will drop the bike a couple times a summer (when stopped), but .. eh .. it's a VStrom. It's made for that, and I've taught him to just step away from it and left it fall.

I think the key to minimizing pain is three-fold:

1. Figure out what hurts, adjust bike to compensate. If possible.

2. Get medical attention. I prefer MD's and physical therapists .. others like chiropractors. As long as you get results.

3. Maintain, or improve, your physical condition. What you do today may help you keep riding a few more years as you get older.

I should probably mention ride frequently, too, to keep the grey matter sharp. I've seen some degradation in my dad's faculties over the past ten years, and I know that at some point I'll have to have a discussion with him about riding/driving. The sharper we can keep his skills, the longer I can prolong that discussion. That won't be fun.

Ken, I am 58 and you may be right...I am not sure at this point. I am surely going to give it more time, sadly being from the Midwest all the conditioning I will accomplish during Spring, Summer and Fall will go out the window for about 4 months during Winter and starting over each year at this age is no picnic. As far as the seat height, from the owners manual it looks like there is some sort of seat base under the seat that needs to be there to use the higher notch up front towards the tank, and this seat base is missing. Unless I am reading that wrong, but when I put the seat in the higher notch it is all wobbly. I am sure this would help.
That movable plastic riser piece under the seat will raise your butt up another 3/4". That will help your leg comfort.
9SUQe.jpg

I'm not as old as most of the farts on this forum, but it was the aches and pains which brought me to the FJR.

I was 33 when I gave up the VFR. Sure, I crashed it, but the year before a 400 mile day in a crosswind did something to aggravate my lumbar and I couldn't walk straight or sleep except in a fetal position for a few days. That, and my wrists were getting tired. So when I crashed it I decided it was time to look for something a bit more upright, and while at it, better suited for living in the midwest (I had just moved to MN from OR). Flat roads and colder winters means the FJR's ergonomics and wind protection were a fair tradeoff for the additional heft.

Anyway, I am much more comfy on the FJR than the VFR. Then when I was 37 I went flying off a jump on a snowboard and landed wrong and spent $800 in physical therapy to deal with a herniated disc and sciatic nerve pain.

So ... how do I deal with the pain? Exercise. The "cat and camel" stretches offer immediate relief while on the bike when I feel the pain start to build up. Some may think I am trying to mate with the gas tank ... eh. Works for me. Then on a daily basis I do my flexibility stretches and core strength exercises. At 39 I am now mostly pain free except when I sit in one position for a long time.

My dad, a bit older at 74, rides a VStrom. He also has sciatic pain, but neglected to deal with it so he is sidelined a few months every year with repeated surgeries or injections. A Sargent seat and lowered pegs suits him well, and he says being on the bike is one of the few times he is actually pain-free. His philosophy is if he doesn't do it now, he'll never do it. He is losing the strength in his legs and will drop the bike a couple times a summer (when stopped), but .. eh .. it's a VStrom. It's made for that, and I've taught him to just step away from it and left it fall.

I think the key to minimizing pain is three-fold:

1. Figure out what hurts, adjust bike to compensate. If possible.

2. Get medical attention. I prefer MD's and physical therapists .. others like chiropractors. As long as you get results.

3. Maintain, or improve, your physical condition. What you do today may help you keep riding a few more years as you get older.

I should probably mention ride frequently, too, to keep the grey matter sharp. I've seen some degradation in my dad's faculties over the past ten years, and I know that at some point I'll have to have a discussion with him about riding/driving. The sharper we can keep his skills, the longer I can prolong that discussion. That won't be fun.
Nice write :clapping:

Hate to admit this on a public forum BUT my wife told me to take 10 or so ibupropin before i ride so it can work while riding, she was correct.

& take more when you get home. Last run I used my old

dirt bike lumbar support/brace & it seemed to help though it was only 200 miles. As many others have stated vista cruise helps & hydration is

extremely important and in any new to you type of physical activity there is a period of adjustment and realignment your body must adapt to.

Hang tough, eat meds, buy shit to make you comfortable, don't quit.

If your doing 200 mile trips, you either need to stop and stretch for awhile or get some of those highway pegs as your knees will ache.

A good seat does help too. But there just seems to be a time frame you have to go through until you body adjusts to the bike.

I find narcotics work well when I stop for the day. Or generous amounts of single malt scotch.

But yeah, a little exercise of those little used muscles does help alot too....

Yeah, I get it.

Hmm

Broken

back

femur

neck

ribs (how many??)

achilles tendon

knee

ankles (both)

kidney surgery..

Yep..

Just gotta live with it I guess.

BTW, just rode 3,200 on a DL650 WeeStrom..

much more comfie than FJR..

Gonna make FJR ergos more like Wee..

Hate to admit this on a public forum BUT my wife told me to take 10 or so ibupropin before i ride so it can work while riding, she was correct.

& take more when you get home. Last run I used my old

dirt bike lumbar support/brace & it seemed to help though it was only 200 miles. As many others have stated vista cruise helps & hydration is

extremely important and in any new to you type of physical activity there is a period of adjustment and realignment your body must adapt to.

Hang tough, eat meds, buy shit to make you comfortable, don't quit.
Be really careful with ibuprofen. 400-600,mg Is all I will take duectonacrisk of bad overdose problems, and possible liver damage.

https://www.healthoma.com/what-can-ibuprofen-overdose-do-to-you/

Also try some Aleve/naproxen. It can help as well.

I'm thinking a lot of the issues we address are due to this bike being a "Sport-Tourer". Some like it more tourer than sport, though it seems most enjoy a bit of both. No perfect blend for the mass market!

Mine has ended up more tourer as those are usually the longer rides and those issues are harder to adapt to, or just tough it out!

So I unwound the throttle spring one turn, added a "Vista Cruise" throttle lock (now I can relax my hand enough to get some circulation going again) and also installed handlebar risers (that raise and pull back the bars so I sit taller).

I got "Wild Bill" highway pegs( so I could stretch my legs ).

Corbin seat with a air/sheepskin pad ( the bucket effect of the corbin with the cushion makes me very happy).

And finally, I added a larger screen to reduce the fatigue from buffeting at speed (no more neck pain).

Now I just have to remember to bend at the waist and not the back, relax the shoulders and stay hydrated.

Funny thing is, it still flies through the canyons!

Haven't figured out what to do about the constant smile on my face when I'm riding!!! :yahoo:

Awesome advice from everybody here. Here's my story.

Going to be 55 in a week, 6'3", 210. History of a couple of bulging lower back discs (had to give up basketball, softball, and golf). Six weeks ago, had surgery to repair a destroyed shoulder (torn bicep, rotator cuff, and arthritis damage). Early osteo-arthritis issues in knees, hands, shoulders, etc.

A couple of weeks before the shoulder surgery, I made a 2,400 mile trip to Arkansas, for some fun. Constantly sore shoulder felt wonderful on the FJR for the entire trip. I have the handlebars in the forward position, and the seat in the high setting. I know everyone swears by aftermarket seats, but coming from the sportbike world, the stock seat works fine for me. Toward the end of a 650+ mile day, yeah, I'm squirming and have to stand on the pegs now and then, but that's doing 150 to 200 miles between stops. I'm betting (from having ridden with several guys with aftermarket seats) that I'd be wiggling around no matter what seat is on there. I guess it's what you're used to, and some time for adjustment.

Great advice on the physical activity part. Due to back pain, I started doing yoga and stretching exercises (thanks to my wife) a few years ago, and it really does help to keep the pain from getting worse. I've been exercising with weights/aerobic/elliptical for about 29 years now, six or seven days a week, and I hate it every day, but I always feel better when I'm done. Always.

I like riding enough that I'm willing to go through the work to keep it enjoyable. Losing this summer of riding due to shoulder surgery is making me realize how much I would miss it if I couldn't do it again. We'll all face that dilemma at some point, but I'd still like to be able to hammer out a track day when I'm 70. Maybe find somebody that has had similar issues, health-wise, and get their advice. Tailor their experience to your conditions, and give it a shot.

Speaking of shots, a swig of Crown Royal Black after supper sure can't hurt. ;)

Going to be 55 in a week, 6'3", 210. History of a couple of bulging lower back discs (had to give up basketball, softball, and golf). Six weeks ago, had surgery to repair a destroyed shoulder (torn bicep, rotator cuff, and arthritis damage). Early osteo-arthritis issues in knees, hands, shoulders, etc.
Since you're in Rochester you have access to some excellent physical therapists - https://www.activeptandsports.com/ I can recommend Brian for back injuries and Joan for shoulder work.

In the interest of full disclosure: I have known Joan (shoulder therapist at Active PT) for more than 13 years.

61 here...Both FJR's I have had, had HeliBars risers on them, so I can't help with stock bars. I have had both knees replaced, overweight (more than I care to admit),not particulary in good shape, 5'7". Other than Risers, bike is stock including the seat. Lean toward doing multi day trips that average about 300 miles per day. Recently completed a 5000+ journey. Toward the end of the day, my neck and shoulders will begin to feel abit achy, but nothing that is killer. When the legs get achy, stand up on the pegs to work out the kinks and get the oilers working on the knees (installed option :rolleyes: ).

I believe the risers are key to my comfort. Had a Concours with stock handle bars, which had a bit more of a forward lean, however learned to sit with back straighter, which relieved the stress off the wrists. These risers (on the FJR) seem to put me more in an upright position as compared to the Concours. I have no stress/pressure on the wrists.

Cramp Buster is a must addtion for me. So was the Laminar Lip which attaches to the windshield.

Willie

I'm one of the older members (74) and have owned and ridden just about every type of bike that's ever been on the market. I find the riding position on the FJR to be one of the best I have experienced. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 180 lbs.

I suffer from the usual ailments of one my age but not any more or less due to riding my bike. I think you just need to give yourself some time to get in "riding shape". Take it easy and don't try to take long rides til you're more comfortable with your bike. In the long run, I think you will be happy you chose an FJR.

Goldwings are nice but I feel like I'm on a Greyhound bus. :lol:

At 67, I still really enjoy riding almost every day locally and did long trips without discomfort till last year. However, I am probably done with the long tours since finding my body isn't as durable as it use to be, don't enjoy surgery and the 100+ degree days. Two years ago with very windy, hot weather nw of Vegas, I did a slow go down at a rest area parking area in loose gravel(stupid) and injured a knee. Last year, I wrecked a shoulder pulling on a tire mounting bar, requiring rotator surgery. I have been fortunate to make many wonderful solo safe camping trips over the last 30 years out west, north to Canada, and twice to AK without problems. I haven't tried a long riding day since surgery, but as a compromise, I now plan to load the bike in my pickup with my homemade bike loader, drive to the mountains and ride. Slowing down. I find the FJR with Helibars and Sargent seat to be very comfortable. Great bike.

Well July 0f 2010 I went down in the Bad Lands on a 07 K1200 LT

I did this:

neck%20pinned.jpg

That is C1 and C2 which is your first two vertebra that hold your head on your spine. Called the Atlas and Axis.

Broke 3 ribs, broke left ankle, broke right arm and had a plate installed with 9 screws which runs from my palm to halfway to elbow, 17 stitches in the side of my face from my glasses and ripped my ear lobe off.

I new I wanted a new bike but knew I needed to go down in weight for a new bike. In August I bought the '10 FJR. It got drooled over for a year in my carport on my lift while I farkeled it and waited to be able to ride.

I can say MCL riser, new Penskey and front fork springs, MCL forward pegs, made it as good as it was going to get. The rest was up to my body.

I can say you need to give your body, even if you are health and in good shape, a chance to adapt to the seating position.

I make sure I hydrate, take my meds, and make stops in between gas fill ups. I just recently sat fill up to fill up with no bad effects. Rode WV last year and had a great time. Off to Aspen this year in a few weeks.

Hydration, proper posture, stand on the pegs once in awhile, switch feet out on the forwards, balls of the feet on pegs and do calf raises, bend at the hips not the back, arch your back even more than normal from the Yoda Position, and a proper seat that fits your ass are all I do to stay in the saddle.

I did not get it two years ago when everyone said let your body adjust and it will. Well it will with a little help from you, and a bit of patience building up to 4 and 500 mile days.

I came from cruisers and would say the K 1200 is the ultimate touring bike along with a Wing, but I could no longer handle the weight of 900 + pound bikes any longer.

I love my FJR and hope in a few years the platform will add cruise and address the wiring issues but other than that it finally fits me but that took a few months. Now my injuries added to that but I have found my body as broken as it is works after a year of riding.

Give it time and work at it slow.